Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2022, 03:44 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Where do I start after new bus purchase?

I just picked up a bus and I would love some tips on where to start, I also have a few questions but first here are the details on the bus:

84 Passenger Blue Bird All American
8.3 Cummins ISC
Allison MD3060
116,000 Miles
No Under Storage (wanted to add other things)
No AC (Didn't want for a few reasons)

The first thing I was planning to do was send off an oil sample to see what kind of shape that's in and get a sense of engine health.

A few thoughts and observations getting it home:

1) The steering wheel is the nastiest thing I've ever touched! I was so happy to have gloves!
2) Impressively fast for how huge it is!
3) Love the air brakes!
4) Rougher ride than expected.
5) Front door button doesn't open/close the door.
6) Front tires are 2018, rears are shot.
7) 8D Batteries are from the end of 2021

Thoughts on first steps:

1) Send out oil sample.
2) Start removing interior, seats, flooring, roofing panels, insulation.
3) Change out all fluids and filters.
4) Unlock 6th, more for lower RPM as I'm currently only at 2,000 RPM at 70mph
5) Buy 4 new tires, put 2 new on the front and the rear inside and use the 4 year old tires from the front as rear outsides.
6) New front seat, do they make something awesome and comfortable as an option?

I'll leave it there for now as I'm just trying to focus on a few weeks of work at a time. If you have any thoughts or ideals, a different order you would do things I would really value them. I'm excited to get started but older enough to want to conserve energy by learning from others.

TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
congrats, sounds like a great bus! The rears are different tires than the fronts and need to be replaced at the same time unfortunately, dually tires are said to last longer. This is because the weight is evenly distributed across six tires rather than the typical four. Front tires tend to wear from the outside inward, while rear tires wear from the middle outward. You should replace all four back tires at the same time. If the front tires still have adequate tread, I'd leave them alone and just buy four new rears.
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
If you are at 2000rpm at 70mph. Save your $400 and skip unlocking 6th. You will never shift into to. You must have low rear end which is rare and most people unlocking 6th have rear ratios of 4.88 or above. These engines get their best MPG under 60 around 1800-1900rpm..

I just got leather swivel air ride seats on Facebook marketplace. Someone took them out of their new fancy coach because his wife changed colors. I was going to get one Legacy Silver air ride seat new right before i complete my conversion. Those are pretty nice.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:02 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Just me but I would wait on tires unless you plan on driving it soon. Depending on build time it could sit for a long time. The fronts are called Steer tires and you want/need them. You can run retreads in the back but if they fail they could explode a bit violent. So anything around them could be damaged.
Holiday sales will be happening soon so you could find a good deal on something. Ollie has interior paints (plus more) and habitat for humanity could have sinks and shower pan.
Planning out everything first is a important step. Which modifications you want, looking at the pros and cons that others already found out.
The main ones Ive seen are roof raise, which insulation and windows. From what Ive gathered closed spray foam and get rid of all the factory side windows.
Any storage mounted under should have plenty of hardware holding it up and not be in the way of any airlines or other parts that may need to be repaired.
Chuck Cassady, on YouTube, gives a lot of good info on builds and has done it for years
Byrd Scheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
A few thoughts and observations getting it home:
1) The steering wheel is the nastiest thing I've ever touched! I was so happy to have gloves!

I've got same problem. Goo-b-gone to the rescue!!

4) Rougher ride than expected.

Is it an air-ride suspension or leaf spring? Leaf spring buses are notoriously bumpy with no weight in the back.

5) Front door button doesn't open/close the door.

Electric or air? The motors on the electric doors are infamous for going out.

Thoughts on first steps:
1) Send out oil sample.

Great idea. I used Blackstone labs and was happy with the results.

3) Change out all fluids and filters.

I'd check the fluids before just default changing them. If the coolant is extended life and is still good color, no burning/oil/other crap its probably not worth the $ to change. Same with tranny fluid if it's alrelady Transynd and in good health. Definitely do filters though.

4) Unlock 6th, more for lower RPM as I'm currently only at 2,000 RPM at 70mph

I can't speak to your particular engine or ratios, but my DT466e was hitting the limiter at 2400RPM at 75mph (common for that engine). 6th got me to 75 MPH at 2100 RPM. If you're well under your rev limiter enabling 6th may not help you any. You also want to be wary of lugging the engine (running it at too low of an RPM).

5) Buy 4 new tires, put 2 new on the front and the rear inside and use the 4 year old tires from the front as rear outsides.

If you're not going to be driving much during the build-out I'd wait to do new tires before you hit the road with it. That's what I'm doing. Tires tend to age-out before the wear-out.

6) New front seat, do they make something awesome and comfortable as an option?

Go to a local truck parts place - we have a place called Sadler at home. Find a good deal on a semi truck seat. Go air ride!
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote