Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Where do you put your stereo or other electronics?

Do you put it above the windshield or on the dash somewhere? Do buses normally have them in one location or another before conversion?

stonestatue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Where do you put your stereo or other electronics?

Doesn't really matter where you put the stereo just make sure you can safely reach it.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

My bus has a space for a stereo at the bottom of the switch console to the left of the driver. This is where I will install my stereo. It's convenient because the wiring is already right there. I'm not sure how difficult it might be to see down there if you are trying to change channels when driving though. But I will likely just plug my smart phone into an auxiliary 1/8" jack and my phone will become the controller. I don't listen to the radio much anyway, or if I do, I hover around the bottom of the dial for NPR and other similar non-commercial stations.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek

X2 on not listening to the radio,we listen to Pandora or mp3 players lots of music (we like) and no cd's,tapes or boxes of 8-Tracks etc
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I put mine (AM/FM/CD/AUX jack for MP3 player) in the "box" Bluebird had attached to the bulkhead over the driver's side windshield. It had an old non-working cassette tape player. I put my radio in it, wired up a couple of the bus speakers and mounted the CB on top of the radio box. I need to run a wire from the house battery bank to the radio/CB. The CB has a weather alert on it. I want to be able to run both when we are parked.

My computer will be in a "closet" along with the printer (to keep the dust down a bit). I'm hoping to get a flat screen TV to double as a TV & monitor and get a wireless mouse & keyboard again.... and a battery recharger. I want to be able to sit in bed and use the computer. Yes I'm lazy.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
X2 on not listening to the radio,we listen to Pandora or mp3 players lots of music (we like) and no cd's,tapes or boxes of 8-Tracks etc
Pandora is the bomb! I listen to it all day long. I even paid to upgrade to the premium "Pandora One" so I don't have to hear commercials and can listen longer without interruption. It's totally worth the $30 or whatever it was per year, 'cause like I said, I listen to it constantly. I have 35 customized stations so far and have discovered so much wonderful new music... Love. It.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Pandora is the bomb! I listen to it all day long. I even paid to upgrade to the premium "Pandora One" so I don't have to hear commercials and can listen longer without interruption. It's totally worth the $30 or whatever it was per year, 'cause like I said, I listen to it constantly. I have 35 customized stations so far and have discovered so much wonderful new music... Love. It.
Love Pandora, but not able to get I-net connection in some places we go...
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

i cut a hole in the steel above the windshield and installed mine there. if you go to the skoolie conversion projects section, and go to my bus i have a lot of pictures showing what i did. perhaps you can get some ideas from it.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Proconsul100, thanks for your reply. I checked out your project thread and it looks nice. I especially appreciate the reference to your stereo placement. Yes, that does give me ideas for what to do with my own project.

(I hope this post doesn't offend ol trunt.)
Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonestatue
"Just my opinion but you gotta be kiddin us! Do some homework or go away. Jack"

Finally, is this how all members are treated? Just told to "go away"? Unless I've reached some right of passage where I'm supposed to have the right response to a situation if I'm to remain a member and be promoted to the next level? Hmmm.
Just ignore the rude comments. There have been a few lately on here, not even sure why they bother to join a forum if they have that attitude.

Depending on your skill level (and wallet size), you can put anything, any where you want.
If my radio was to the left of the drives seat, I would consider moving it only due to the window! Rain, wind, dust blowing in over time will sure end up on the radio. If you have a location above to mount it, that would be my choice. But, everyone is different so it might work better somewhere else for you.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #11

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Just don't put it where some manufacturers put them, just out of reach when you are driving. I think they do that so the driver can't play with the radio while driving. Since you didn't say what kind of bus you have, any answer you get might not apply.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #12

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I think everyone needs to switch back from decaf.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Skoolie

Hopefully this argument is finished but I want to take a moment to point something out. There is no requirement here to post. If there is a post you think might be silly why not just skip over it and let others reply if they wish. At no point should there be a divide between a newbie and a veteran here. Quite frankly, I am a newbie and I think we are all newbies as everyone of us has asked a question and probably will ask a question in the future. Belittling people only degrades the community, more so than a person asking a question you think they should be able to find the answer to on their own. And, at no point should anyone be told to go away because with that kind of an attitude, it won't be long and everyone will go away. My two cents worth.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Travelinwithus. Earlier in this post I agreed to bury the hatchet and I would appreciate it if you wish to continue the debate that you would do so via PM so that the hatchet remains buried. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Skoolie

I have no intention of continuing the debate, but I did wish to let my opinion be known.
travelinwithus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

"Can't we all just get along???"

I plan on putting mine above my fridge along with a dvd/tv player...

I've been looking at car stereos that have a remote so its easy to change channels or volume from the drivers seat... I feel that we will use it often when parked and want easy access to it, not climbing over the driver seat and such...

I'll throw this out there as well, I plan on using only automotive electronics... Not sure if it's true, but a buddy that does a lot of audio/video stuff was concerned about non auto electronics not being able to handle the vibrations from traveling... Plus the auto dvds and tvs are already 12v...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Glad you two are having fun...
on another subject..
I put my sterio and thermostat between the two cabinet doors above my dinette - which is on the passenger side. Since this overhead cabinet is about 6 feet long, the sterio fits nicely, with a radio antenna above it on the roof. This was a unit out of a motorhome...
my tv set is centered in front of the cabinet above the windshield, with a swing out and down type of wall mount bolted to that cabinet, and the blueray thingy is in the cabinet above the drivers seat.
the bus radio/pa thingy is currently not hooked up at all as i can either run the sterio, or use the inverter whilst traveling for cd/radio that i have..
I have yet to watch tv on my flatscreen whilst driving...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

"I have yet to watch tv on my flatscreen whilst driving..."

With these self driving cars coming out, kick back in the recliner, have a cold one, and let the bus do the driving for you!