Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

where to look for old round buses

im sure this is what everyones asking, a friend wants me to find an older round etc gillig crown etc and hire me to convert it for him. were in pennsylvania and can travel but i think driving cross countryright off bat is going to cut into his budget too much.. dream job for a minute if i can even find one in his budget, i think he wants to spend around 4000. i dont know much about them. any suggestions or suggestions how to find in the archive if this is a dead horse subject. thanks

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: where to look for old round buses

I've been watching, and they've dried up a bit in the last year. There's one in Las Vegas right now that looks O.K., on Craigslist. Gillig, mid-engine (based on year should be desirable 855 big cam) and 5 speed. $2500 Best deal right now. Probably won't find much east of the rockies. Be careful, a lot were in service in the NW, and then moved elsewhere. In a Gillig, look closely for corrosion where the window posts meet the roof. Also check wheel wells good. Mid engine Cummins (esp the 855) are probably the most powerful skoolies ever, made by both Gillig and Crown. BUT there's very little room underneath for tanks, propane, batteries etc., Rear engine Gillig w/ a Cat 3208 and full basement bays (like mine!!!!) is hard to beat. They all came with an MT643, spicer 5 speed or Fuller roadranger 10 speed. Big cams might have had a bigger auto....
The Gillig on Everett WA Craigslist has been for sale for ever, at least 2 years now......hmmmm maybe not so good? Pat Young in Fresno just listed one, but sounds like it may not quite be ready. Don't know how good his guarantee is. A few Crowns around, but they tend to cost a bit more, and most are mid engine (I prefer the rear engine). There's quite a few both Crown and Gillig busses still in service in Fresno; I don't know if/when they will hit the auctions. Most are in private hands now.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/984166943.html

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/983163243.html

Good luck!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Skoolie

thanks. is there a craigslsit search function for all of the usa. ive been trying craigshelper but it seems too local. the best in the west as usual. i agree about the crosscountry right away being a bad idea. and there aren't oo many buses that are roundish.
adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

Set the search distance in Craigshelper.com Under the "Where to search" is a little line with a red dot. Drag the red dot to set the distance, all the way to the right is "any". I've got 3 acres in Winnemucca NV, on I-80 in NW Nevada. If you were to have trouble nearby, I've got plenty of room to keep a bus for as long as needed. I also spend time off in the Oakland CA area, and may be willing to help check out a bus in the area if the timing is right, or along the I-80 corridor between Winnemucca and the Bay.
winnemuccadaveNOSPAM@netscape.net
remove the obvious