Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If you plan on installing tanks...make sure they are DOT approved. Otherwise you might wind up getting nailed for a 2000 mile tow if you get caught.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Hey & since we're on the subject & I know it's a simple question but one of the tanks when I picked it up had a copper ground wire on it, Any reason why I can't run it from one tank to the next then clamp it to the frame?

Your tanks are grounded somewhat by your framework. It's got a few points of contact with the tanks in a tight fitting frame. That gives some continuity to ground if the metal is fairly clean.

Doing as you suggest removes any doubt about a ground on the chassis/frame. That is a good thing especially around propane where a stray spark or some static charge might choose to dissipate as you refuel.

You might also drag a small piece of chain to take all stray current to the earth, tires don't do that. Well, maybe airliner tires do etc but not vehicles that I know of. I could see those tires on a fuel transport that delivers to gas stations etc. They are a bomb ready to go off just as our buses can be
if certain procedures aren't followed.

John
Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Your tanks are grounded somewhat by your framework. It's got a few points of contact with the tanks in a tight fitting frame. That gives some continuity to ground if the metal is fairly clean.

Doing as you suggest removes any doubt about a ground on the chassis/frame. That is a good thing especially around propane where a stray spark or some static charge might choose to dissipate as you refuel.

You might also drag a small piece of chain to take all stray current to the earth, tires don't do that. Well, maybe airliner tires do etc but not vehicles that I know of. I could see those tires on a fuel transport that delivers to gas stations etc. They are a bomb ready to go off just as our buses can be
if certain procedures aren't followed.

John
Buy a static strap to ground the bus get a overly long one hopefully with multiple mounting holes and adjust it periodically. Won't snag on anything and if it breaks off won't wind up in a tire.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
If there was an emoticon for throwing a book in the air and walking away, I’d use it.
Tanker Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote