Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Which of these buses should I choose?

Check these buses out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-Passe ... otohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-Passe ... dZViewItem

I am partial to the first bus...

I like these buses for there size and rear engine setup, however the storage space and headroom are the kicker.

The whole midwest rust issue and the price (seem high to you?) are the major drawbacks for me.

I have contacted the seller and he has been more than helpfull and answered my questions quickly, however someting tells me I should put a little more research into finding a bus locally rather than using Ebay.

What do you all think?

runnysucklehose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Just as an FYI - the second one is not a rear engine bus...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info, does any one have a problem with the front mounted engine featured in the second bus? Seems like that would make working on it a challange?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I don't have one but have ridden in them and the biggest thing about front engine anything is the noise it makes. A secondary concern is the fact that the flat nosed bus with the front engine has a huge engine cowling that makes it difficult to work around. At least with the not flat nosed buses the engine is out front and the room inside is the room inside. Does that make sense? I have owned a Class A front engine motorhome, not a bus, but even the roar of that 460 under the cowling in the front was enough to make discussion at highway speeds not possible. When you add the noise of the diesel and the fact that buses tend to have less insulation because of their "bare bones" nature of construction I personally think it would be better to have the rear engine. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

If those two were my only choice I would go with the first one. I have several reasons for choosing the Thomas. The first reason is it has a Cat3116 which in my opinion is a heavier duty engine which is better suited for a bus. Second is that it is a rear engine so less noise, heat, and wasted space, I don't want to have to work around the drive shaft. Do you know what transmission the two buses have? If one or the other has an MT-643 that is the bus I would buy. The AT-545 is ok but I would take the MT-643 any day. Is the Thomas a high roof model? The thomas I am buying has an interior height of 6'6" which is important to me since I am 6'3". Since these buses are in WI be sure to look for rust. Make sure they have good rubber and they drive straight.

The main reasons I chose a rear engine bus is because they ride a little better and are much quieter in the front. I also want to have a passenger seat next to mine and the doghouse on a front engine would prevent that. I don't like having to change the oil in the interior either. I also plan to have lots of storage and don't want to deal withe the drive shaft going down the center from front to back.

Some of the things that matter to me don't matter to others so do what makes you happy.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I have a Blue Bird TC2000 (like the 2nd bus) and noise is defiantly an issue, the engine is basically right next to you while your driving and believe me you can hear it.

As far as the "huge" engine cover being in the way I have no clue what these guys are talking about... The engine cover is where in a normal school bus the top of the stairs are, and you wouldn’t build anything there anyway. For this reason the stairs are angled into the bus but I’d say this takes up maybe a total of 2 sq feet of building space.

What do you plan on doing with the rear of the bus? I planned on having a storage area for my Yamaha Raptor 660 (quad), which is partly why I choose the front engine. Another reason why I chose mine over a rear engine model is the price. I paid less then $2,000 for mine, I think if your spending $4,000+ & you don’t plan on hauling quads or dirt bikes in the back I'd get the rear engine.

Oh and I have heard from several people that Blue Bird makes the best busses. I don’t know if that’s true or not, its just what I've heard. I've only driven/worked on/converted 1 bus (my bluebird) and don't really have anything to compare it too.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the info, I will find out about that transmission. Do you think that price is too high?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Yeah I think there over priced. I paid $1,850 for my 91 TC2000 AT545 with 158,000 miles on it. It has 5.9L Diesel, hydraulic brakes, and was a 72 passenger bus. I see that one has storage compartments under the floor - that is very cool I wish mine had that. I would think you could pick one up for around $2,000 or less.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

For that high of miles and coming from the rust belt I think they are both overpriced. You might call or email Greg (http://flbus.tripod.com/). He has some Carpenter buses that have had the welds re done in Ohio. They are a little more expensive but not too bad. They are also high ceiling models so they may be better for you. Most of them are front engine though. I have known him for a few years now and I am buying my bus from him. He is an honest guy. You might also check esurplus they usually have some buses in fact they have a nice lookin bookmobile right now.

http://www.publicsurplus.com/IANAuction ... &catid=402
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
that's a sweet looking bookmobile. Too bad there aren't better photo's posted.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Check out the streetcar on that site, that would be cool!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I checked out that surplus site, very cool! How about that 60 footer? Wouldn't mind one of those.

The trans in the forst bus is a MT-643. I have contacted the seller now that the auction is over, I will let you know what I fond out.

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Bus Nut

There was a guy who had an articulating bus that was on here, but then he had to work over sea's for a term. Anyone know what became of him? Is he back in the country? I would love to see one of those big boys converted

-Richard
Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
That's Macgyver. . .last I knew, he was doing a 2 to 5 year stint in Iraq for a company he signed on with. IIRC He said he'd check in if / when possible from there, but don' t hold our collective breath.

Hopefully all is / will go well for him and he'll check in as soon as he can!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I emailed him a few month ago and he ended up not going to Iraq. He was thinking of moving up north if he did not find a good job in LA. When we were on the road going to visit Oregon I saw a 60' bus. It looked real nice, too bad it was on the interstate going east bound.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Thanks for the info. I hope he checks in, I would love to hear how his bus is coming along.

-Richard
Old 02-07-2006, 04:17 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
I hope he checks in, I would love to hear how his bus is coming along.-Richard
Me too!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Which of these buses should I choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnysucklehose
Check these buses out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-Passe ... otohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-Passe ... dZViewItem

I am partial to the first bus...

I like these buses for there size and rear engine setup, however the storage space and headroom are the kicker.

The whole midwest rust issue and the price (seem high to you?) are the major drawbacks for me.

I have contacted the seller and he has been more than helpfull and answered my questions quickly, however someting tells me I should put a little more research into finding a bus locally rather than using Ebay.

What do you all think?
I'd go for the Thomas. In fact, I have one that is a high roof DP, and it is going to be put up for sale. I've already removed all but two of the seats, and had started stripping the metal sides below the windows as they have a bit of rust on them. I'll also be removing the exposed insulation before I put it up officially. I'll also be installing new batteries, as mine are dead. Mine is also white instead of yellow, and doesn't have the skoolie lights to cover. I put $700 into the engine to fix a bad rear main seal. Mine has the Cummins 555T V8 turbodisel engine. The chassis underneath looks as good as when the bus was new.

Plans are to have it ready to list in the next couple of days. The price will be $1500 firm. The fuel tank is full, and that alone is good for ~$250 these days.

As for the FE busses. Bluebird used their FE chassis for their Wanderlodge RV line. I've spoken with several FE Wanderlodge owners, and they all state that they can carry a normal conversation in their busses, driving down the highway. I would guess that the doghouse is alot more heavily insulated against noise than the skoolie. I'm going to be looking at one of these next week. The same could be done with a FE bus during a conversion.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman

I'd go for the Thomas. In fact, I have one that is a high roof DP, and it is going to be put up for sale. I've already removed all but two of the seats, and had started stripping the metal sides below the windows as they have a bit of rust on them. I'll also be removing the exposed insulation before I put it up officially. I'll also be installing new batteries, as mine are dead. Mine is also white instead of yellow, and doesn't have the skoolie lights to cover. I put $700 into the engine to fix a bad rear main seal. Mine has the Cummins 555T V8 turbodisel engine. The chassis underneath looks as good as when the bus was new.

Plans are to have it ready to list in the next couple of days. The price will be $1500 firm. The fuel tank is full, and that alone is good for ~$250 these days.

As for the FE busses. Bluebird used their FE chassis for their Wanderlodge RV line. I've spoken with several FE Wanderlodge owners, and they all state that they can carry a normal conversation in their busses, driving down the highway. I would guess that the doghouse is alot more heavily insulated against noise than the skoolie. I'm going to be looking at one of these next week. The same could be done with a FE bus during a conversion.
Is that bus a Flatnose? do you have any pictures of it? That sounds like a great deal for somone looking for a skoolie to convert.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Is that bus a Flatnose? do you have any pictures of it? That sounds like a great deal for somone looking for a skoolie to convert.
Yes, it is a diesel pusher. I have some pics from when I first bought it, but none of what it looks like now.

I just got the exposed mildewed insulation removed, and tightened a couple of loose wires in the efforts to correct a bad conection problem that is causing the running and headlights to flicker. I'm putting in new batteries this afternoon. I'll take some fresh pics to post later today.

UPDATE:

I've been quite busy today, and have finished tying up all of the loose ends. I took new pictures and have put them in my gallery. Info on my bus, as well as a link to the photos is here: http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7103#7103
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote