Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: Who wants to answe a butt-load of questions???

I rarely volunteer to do a "butt load" of anything, but what the heck. It IS Friday.

1- Full-timing since Aug 1, 2006

2- Yes, full-timing was the goal since day 1.

3- N/A

4- N/A

Now to the 2nd half of the question......

5- To live comfortably in various climates without the need for constant connection to the grid (water, power, etc.)

6- I didn't have specific plans, but had some rules: Durable, efficient, comfortable, utilitarian, environmentally-friendly construction, using local/recycled/recyclable/US-made/biodegradable/low-VOC/non-toxic/non-Chinese-made products and materials whenever possible.

7- I stuck to the rules 95% of the time and I'm OK with that.

8- Nothing really. Bigger engine would be nice but I don't drive enough to care enough to spend the time and $$ to make it happen. A bus engine swap is a job I would likely farm out.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Who wants to answer a butt-load of questions???

5. "Part-timer." Build with a full-time, boondocking attitude. Be able tour casually in what full-timers call "vacation mode" for weeks or months on end after retirement. Not carry everything I own, with return to "home base" planned at the end of each tour. Use regionally for weekends/vacations for enjoyment & shakedowns between build date and that time.

8. I never learned to weld. I'm sure it takes decades to learn with finesse, but I'm of the impression that structurally sound, if not pretty, welding could be learned in a brief time. (I'm paying special attention to your comments and Abbott's in this area, among others.)
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Ok. I'll bite....

1- How many full-timers are here (I know there's atleast 2-3)? I'm talking actually living in your bus 24/7/365 (for the most part, or say 300+ days a year)

I lived in mine full time for 10 months, would have been longer but the situation changed.

2- Did you initially buy & convert your bus with the intention of living in it, or did you kinda morph into living in it (for whatever reason)?

Yes... I was living in a Travel Trailer with tent ends on it, the bus proved to be a more stable "home" to live in.

3- If you initially built it for a weekend warrior (like just camping weekends, or whenever), and have ended-up living in it, what did you find you wish you'd have done differently, or added at the time you converted your bus?

N/A

4- Have you made these changes/additions? Or just adapted to living around/without them?

Only some very minor changes, added an electrical outlet or two, re-rigged curtains & stuff.

5- For what specific purpose did you build/are you building your bus for?

N/A

6- From your final "plans", the ones you said "this is how I will build my bus", ....how much did you end-up deviating from them, if any?

Very little deviation, the bus came out almost exactly as my floor plan when I started. Moved the desk is about the only real deviation.

7- If you changed plans, what were the reasons? (was it an upgrade? structure of the bus left you no choice?)

Moving the desk allowed for additional counter space beside the refridge.

8- What modification would you like to have done, but because you couldn't do it yourself, you just nixed that particular modification?

I would like to have raised the roof, I didn't have the time, skills, and equipment to do it.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
1- How many full-timers are here (I know there's atleast 2-3)? I'm talking actually living in your bus 24/7/365 (for the most part, or say 300+ days a year)
I will be living on the bus 365 days of the year. Except holidays. Well... okay... maybe then too to save on hotel expenses.

Quote:
2- Did you initially buy & convert your bus with the intention of living in it, or did you kinda morph into living in it (for whatever reason)?
Yes, this purchase was with the intent of full time living.

Quote:
3- If you initially built it for a weekend warrior (like just camping weekends, or whenever), and have ended-up living in it, what did you find you wish you'd have done differently, or added at the time you converted your bus?
N/A

Quote:
4- Have you made these changes/additions? Or just adapted to living around/without them?
N/A

Quote:
There are a few things my bus must do:
  • The bus must be a basic shelter that is safe and comfortable.[/*:m:1ouufvwz]
  • The bus must have space for me to work creatively.[/*:m:1ouufvwz]
  • The bus must be reliable transportation to new locations when required.[/*:m:1ouufvwz]
  • The bus must be able to carry my motorcycle while moving to a new location. [/*:m:1ouufvwz]

Quote:
6- From your final "plans", the ones you said "this is how I will build my bus", ....how much did you end-up deviating from them, if any?
Because the bus still has some mechanical issues, I have not started actual interior construction. But I have a good dozen different floor plans that are constantly evolving as new products are discovered. There are some fantastic posts here that bring new ideas to light constantly. I'm glad to find them now while my plans are still flexible enough to easily change.

Quote:
7- If you changed plans, what were the reasons? (was it an upgrade? structure of the bus left you no choice?)
At this point all changes are upgraded design options based on new information coming in all the time.

Quote:
8- What modification would you like to have done, but because you couldn't do it yourself, you just nixed that particular modification?
I really like the idea of a roof raise, but doubt I'll do it for this first skoolie. But I also would like to do a full sized drop-ramp on the back to use as both a ramp to drive the motorcycle inside, as well as to double as a porch when the bus is parked. However, the magical combination of time, money and inexperience will probably keep me from doing either.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Q1- How many full-timers are here (I know there's atleast 2-3)? I'm talking actually living in your bus 24/7/365 (for the most part, or say 300+ days a year)
A1- Full time 24/7/365

Q2- Did you initially buy & convert your bus with the intention of living in it, or did you kinda morph into living in it (for whatever reason)?
A2- Intended to live in it from the beginning.

Q3- If you initially built it for a weekend warrior (like just camping weekends, or whenever), and have ended-up living in it, what did you find you wish you'd have done differently, or added at the time you converted your bus?
A3- N/A

Q4- Have you made these changes/additions? Or just adapted to living around/without them?
A4- N/A

Q5- For what specific purpose did you build/are you building your bus for?
A5- For traveling and nesting at the same time.

Q6- From your final "plans", the ones you said "this is how I will build my bus", ....how much did you end-up deviating from them, if any?
A6- Took longer than expected.

Q7- If you changed plans, what were the reasons? (was it an upgrade? structure of the bus left you no choice?)
A7- Enjoyed life and didn't work on the bus as much as I could have.

Q8- What modification would you like to have done, but because you couldn't do it yourself, you just nixed that particular modification?
A8- Still modifying. Usually find people who can help do what I do not know how to do.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

1- How many full-timers are here...
24/7/365 for the last 4 years

morphed due to extenuating circumstances

3-
N/A

4-
N/A

vacation motorhome for 8 / residence and mobile office

~75%

aforementioned extenuating circumstances left no choice - originally planned as vacation motorhome for 8, now a residence for 1 (thank you NC Nazis )

8- What modification would you like to have done, but because you couldn't do it yourself, you just nixed that particular modification?...[/quote]
fabricate undercarriage storage (I'll get there though...)
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I only use my bus for tailgating and didnt deviate at all from my original plans.

8. The ony major thing I would have done different (at the time I thought it would be too difficult, but not now) is a roof raise. I cant think of one person over 5'9 that has walked through the bus and not hit their heads on the A/C or the back door... or both. I still do it at least once everytime I use it. I also would have not put a sink in the bathroom, considering I have a bar sink right outside of it, and gained another foot or so of seating.

Im sure that no matter how much planning and asking that you do, a week into living on the bus you will have multiple answers to your own questions.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

1- I am full-time 8-9 months a year. The other time, I am in a friends house. But for those 8-9 months I am not only full-time, but full-time on the road. Never in the same town more than 3 days.

2- Yes, I got the bus with the intention of living in her.

3- N/A

4- N/A

5- My purpose if very specific. I bicycle cross country and speak to teens about foreign and local needs and humanitarian projects and how they can get involved and change the world here and overseas. I am speaking at schools, churches, and organizations and I live in my bus the whole time. I have a driver to drive the rig around for me. On the road for 8 months a year.

6- Haven't yet, but am about to....I would say I may deviate 10-20% when its all done.

7- I am making my first change because I was given some cabinets that are large enough to require me to move a wall 6 inches. Any changes will be be from necessity of space using furniture.

8- I really cant think of anything I didn't do because of my ability. If my ability doesn't let me do something I want to do, I just go learn how to do it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

1- I will be.

2- Full time is the goal.

3- N/A

4- N/A

5- Evade property tax until I am more established and not fork over outrageous rent for apartments. Evade excessive energy taxes by way of Solar/Wind power(not to be green, but to protests taxation). Avoid closing costs and other taxes due upon the purchase of an actual house. Be able to move out of heavily taxed areas on a moments notice should the need arise. Evade homeowner's insurance as it is like a tax. Properly set up, avoid water/sewage tax even though I will have to have black water removed(think rain harvesting). Motorcycle storage. I like the outdoors and can probably set up next to a lake where I can have a fire, kayak, mountain bike, run etc(everyday after work has the potential to be a mini-vacation). Be different than the average sheeple. Avoid other taxes that I have forgotten about. Should I one day buy a home, I will already have a pre-built cabin for the weekends, or should I find a job that is unconventional it could prove useful.

6- N/A at this time.

7- N/A at this time.

8- Don't know yet. I am going to take it slow with everything from electric to carpentry and try to do things right. I will either take a cheap welding class, teach myself slowly before I even touch the bus, or have a friend teach me how before I get started.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Sure thing Smitty.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
....my curosity has me asking questions So I'll get right to it..... I was also curious about the full-timers, so just combining them into 1 post....I wouldn't want to be called a "post-whore" ya know

Answer only the ones you choose or answer them all.....or answer none of them Give a brief or as detailed answer as your fingers feel like typing. If you're planning to get a bus, currently looking for a bus, already in the process of converting your bus, or your bus is completed 100%, feel free to add your reply.

I've been living in mine for almost 5 years now. It is my primary residence.

Quote:
Mine bus purchase was an intentional housing decision. I was going back to school (at 44) for 4 years, and could afford to live in the ghetto or with 4 18-22 year old roommates-- I made a different option.

Quote:
That's not my situation, but I can't think of anything major that I would do differently.

Quote:
Adding three 130W solar panels now, so that I can live off the grid. They were "down the road" plans when I started. Just added a wood-stove, which also was a "down the road" plan. That didn't turn out exactly as I had planned because I ended up with a larger (but much better) stove than originally planned, but it worked out fine.

Quote:
Full-time residence.

Quote:
Pretty much,not at all. One thing, however, I intentionally did as little as I could in the way of "built-in" stuff. I left as much of the bus open as possible to give me plenty of usable space. I don't have to sit here or there because I can move some of my seating around (the dinette, however has fixed seating - but it converts to a Full bed.) I had to have a galley, cupboard, and bathroom, and those have some requirements for "built-in-ness," but by putting them over the wheel-humps, and at the sides of the bus, I still have unobstructed vision down my hallway and out the rear door. This means that I can bring a 4x8 sheet of plywood or a 12' long 2x6 into the bus and cut it inside, out of the rain, if I need to.

Quote:
Just the upgrades mentioned earlier. Oh, I started on a vegetable oil conversion, but I haven't finished that -- the bus runs, and I kinda chickened out on cutting the fuel lines, etc.....

Quote:
(I'm not meaning things like "I wanted a $10,000 entertainment system, but couldn't afford it", I'm talking strictly things that you'd have done, had you had the ability).
Probably a 4WD conversion. That's my ultimate goal. No $$ for it now, but in two years, possibly. I think it would be most cost effective to take it to a truck shop and say - put this used 4WD front-end and transfer case in, etc. I don't have the facilities, tools, time, or knowledge for that.

BUT...it's hard to take your home somewhere and leave it for someone to work on! What do you do, stay with friends because your house is in the shop? I doubt your average truck yard wants someone sleeping on their premises....

Interesting questions!

================================================== =================================================
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

1. Not yet
2. Yup I did buy with the purpose of living in.
3. I built the bus as a moving device but with the intent of making it into a shelter for my family “if”.
4. Na
5. I am building the bus for a shelter, and for the giggles of it. I love being creative and I love sticking it to the man and I didn’t want to throw away 2,800 to a “uhaul”. Plus there are so many possibilities for the future for my family we are gypsy’s at heart and have not just settled and don’t plan too.
6. No deviation, Still in process other than the basic interior
7. My bus is evolutionary it’s just slowly evolving.
8. I wish I had done more insulation, although I may tear down and rebuild with increased insulation