Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: 22
Whole new problem this time with the brakes

Right from one problem to the next, by the time I got the high beams on the brakes started acting up. When I apply the brakes they function normally but when I release the pedal it doesn't come all the way back up. It's and International with some kind of power assist hydraulic brakes that I know nothing about. Anyone experience anything like this? Where should I start looking?

Roachhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: Whole new problem this time with the brakes

vacuum hose leaks?
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I didn't know it had vacum hoses. I guess I don't understand this brake system at all. I assumed it must be a hydraulic issue but once they start adding extra parts I got lost.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6

I dont know that it has vacuum powered assist either, but that is the common way to do it. Find a manual on that machine yet?
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

No manuals yet, the dealer offers a CD with all the info but it's awfully pricey. I've kinda blown the budget already, at least for awhile. The master cylinder is huge with 2 seperate reservoirs and an electric motor mounted underneath it. No idea how the thing works, Does it sound familiar to anyone? I am either going to have to start searching blind for a solution or park the bus and wait until I can afford to have a pro check it out. I suppose the first ramdom repair will be bleeding the system if I can find someone to help me with it, then start guessing from there.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Well I gave up on trying to fix the brakes and took it to a shop. What a mistake, it cost me $300 to have them tell me it will cost $1200 to fix it. Since I don't have $1200 that was $300 wasted (that I can't afford). They said it needs something called a Hydraulic brake assist head unit. Anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a used one cheap. I think buying a bus was a huge mistake and the best I could do is to try to find a used part to get it working so I can try to sell it off. Anyone need a bus?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Yep specifically a Hydro max Hydro boost by Bosch, my internet search got alot more productive once I learned the correct name for the part. To bad I didn't figure out what the part was called during business hrs so I could do some calling around. It seems a rebuilt unit cost $265 without the core charge so a used one should be pretty affordable if I can find one local. I'm supposed to head out of town on Saturday so it will need to be a local part if I want to be up and running on time. I found a tech manual from Bosch online so at least I understand how the thing works. I'm still ticked that I wasted $300 trusting a garage just because I didn't understand the system. $300 just for an estimate and I still think they are just taking a best guess. My guesses are free.