Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 10:41 PM   #181
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Yea, the Danner Ft. Lewis all leather U.S.A. made boots; they feel like wearing moccasins, except the offer fully flexible support to your ankles and a solid but flexible soul. I heard they are the only non-army issue boots they sell in the p.x. and that a soldier can wear at dress presentations. I bought a pair so many years ago, and they still rock. For the extreme downhill off-trail stuff, they are unbeatable. We used to go rock-hopping down a dried up creak (only flows when raining), at top speed hopping from rock to rock - miss a step and you are toast, likely breaking limbs and loosing lots of skin on the loose jumble of 1'-2' rocks and 3'-4' foot boulders that we were running over, which may or may not be stable and solid... Those boots made that easy. Back in the day, I wore those boots every day, all day, for years. I loved them. For me, running in them wasn't a thing.

however, for average trail running stuff, like when I busted my knee, I would wear hybrid shoes. The trail was basically flat, but had a 4' or 5' dropoff and continued in the same direction flat. I did it every day, on an 8 mile trail I ran at top speed. Just one day the impact of landing on a one foot stride absorbing all the weight when my knee was just off a bit, and then continuing the stride forward with my other foot, and then running the rest of the 5 or 6 miles thinking "hmmm, is that ok?" until I sat down in the car and my knee's miniscus cup when "OWWWWWey!"

Very different incident from running top speed downhill, where you glide along and no step really has an impact...

Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #182
Bus Crazy

And NO, no Poo in expensive camelback.

Cheap low-profile one that is used ONLY for Poo.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #183
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
And NO, no Poo in expensive camelback.

Cheap low-profile one that is used ONLY for Poo.
Here in OH now where I routinely run the dog there's trash cans every ˝ mile so I just carry 'em to the next can -- I'd rather carry it then forget about it...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:25 AM   #184
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I used to trail run, until I blew out my knee trail running. Ahh, the feeling of running down that perfectly sloped hill with 10'-15' strides between each footplant. One time we went extreme and ran down the side of a steep hill in the woods, no trail, leaping for 20' down over 5-7' high bushes at absolute top speed...as long as you keep moving and keep moving fluidly, it's a breeze. Plus I had on Danner mid-calf boots for support. Or up those long-grinds that get you heart a-pumpin'. Yea! Miss that. Fanny pack would work for me, even under those extreme conditions. Just get a dedicated one, and put the Poo bag inside another heavy plastic bag (that you can reuse)

The woods I have been visiting are in the middle of a big city. And the bags off Poo are almost always right there next to the trail. Someone picks them up from day to day. I just get the cig butts.
Danner used to make a good boot. IDK about now- I'm 99% sure they're chinese now.
When I was a kid it was the boot of choice for hiking. My scoutmaster was a career military dude and he swore by em.
I went to buy some a couple years ago and I was pretty sure it said "uppers made in asia".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #185
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Danner used to make a good boot. IDK about now- I'm 99% sure they're chinese now.
When I was a kid it was the boot of choice for hiking. My scoutmaster was a career military dude and he swore by em.
I went to buy some a couple years ago and I was pretty sure it said "uppers made in asia".

Yea, some of their cheapo boots are trash. The souls are glued on and peel off, like so much cheapo footwear now-a-days. Had a $180 pair of Clarks Of England crossover shoes. The very first time I took them hiking the soul started to peel on one and was half-off the shoe when I got back to the car. Hard to walk that way, when it starts at the toe. I wanted to return them, but I had moved away from the big-city designer-fashion malls by then. My mom had a cheapo pair of boots like that, also. They lasted her 15 minutes of hiking up a gravel road.

The stitchdown souls on Danner's American Made line, models they have produced for years, are totally bomber. They are not cheap, though. Almost bought a new pair this winter I saw at the army surplus on sale for around $260 or $275 or something, down from $350. When I bought my first pair in the 1980s, they were only $175. But even those are getting dumbed down now-a-days. Their "Mountain Light" boots used to be an all-one-piece steam-molded seamless upper. Like wearing heavy sneakers, so comfortable. Now they cut the leather along the tongue and stitch in another piece making it easier to construct, and allowing cheaper pieces of leather to be used, but the seam will allow water to seep in if not kept properly sealed. I'm thinking of a pair of those when my current Keens bite the Bullet, since they are no longer making shoes as high quality as the ones I have...just using a bunch of scrap material left over from other industrial projects that is stitched together to create fashionable junk. The Keens I love have minimal seams, and glove-leather interior lining. The new ones are full of seams and have soft-polyester linings that will wear holes in the heel and create blister-making spots.

For me, I would rather pay good $$$ for a shoe that doesn't become land-fill in less than a year, rather than a Wally-World shoe that the soul either peels off or simply wears through the bottom because the rubber is too soft. The Keen shoes I have now lasts me 2 years, and I walk 4-mile rocky trails every day, longer than any other footwear I've owned except the Danner Boots (going on 20 years now, but no longer worn daily). I loved the Keens so much I went on eBay and Amazon and found all the last pairs of that model and bought all the ones my size, stocking up on them for 6 years. Only got a few months left...somewhere I poked big thorns through the rubber that covers the toe within the first few months of wearing them, and thought "damn, that's gonna tear some day". Sure enough. I had some leftover 3M black urethane automotive body seam sealer that I had to dig out of the tube with a nail, but I gooped it under the rubber toes on the Keen shoes to glue them back together and ====my god====it held!===== Something that actually adheres to rubber! I didn't even wash the dirt off first. Been 2 months now, still holding, still hiking on rocky trails about 4 miles a day with these shoes. Good stuff, that 3m Urethane. Tried Shoe-Goo once. That lasted 5 minutes on rubber souls.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #186
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Am I imagining it or does every "composting toilet " thread wind up in the weeds?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #187
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Am I imagining it or does every "composting toilet " thread wind up in the weeds?
People love ****
Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #188
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yea, some of their cheapo boots are trash. The souls are glued on and peel off, like so much cheapo footwear now-a-days. Had a $180 pair of Clarks Of England crossover shoes. The very first time I took them hiking the soul started to peel on one and was half-off the shoe when I got back to the car. Hard to walk that way, when it starts at the toe. I wanted to return them, but I had moved away from the big-city designer-fashion malls by then. My mom had a cheapo pair of boots like that, also. They lasted her 15 minutes of hiking up a gravel road.

The stitchdown souls on Danner's American Made line, models they have produced for years, are totally bomber. They are not cheap, though. Almost bought a new pair this winter I saw at the army surplus on sale for around $260 or $275 or something, down from $350. When I bought my first pair in the 1980s, they were only $175. But even those are getting dumbed down now-a-days. Their "Mountain Light" boots used to be an all-one-piece steam-molded seamless upper. Like wearing heavy sneakers, so comfortable. Now they cut the leather along the tongue and stitch in another piece making it easier to construct, and allowing cheaper pieces of leather to be used, but the seam will allow water to seep in if not kept properly sealed. I'm thinking of a pair of those when my current Keens bite the Bullet, since they are no longer making shoes as high quality as the ones I have...just using a bunch of scrap material left over from other industrial projects that is stitched together to create fashionable junk. The Keens I love have minimal seams, and glove-leather interior lining. The new ones are full of seams and have soft-polyester linings that will wear holes in the heel and create blister-making spots.

For me, I would rather pay good $$$ for a shoe that doesn't become land-fill in less than a year, rather than a Wally-World shoe that the soul either peels off or simply wears through the bottom because the rubber is too soft. The Keen shoes I have now lasts me 2 years, and I walk 4-mile rocky trails every day, longer than any other footwear I've owned except the Danner Boots (going on 20 years now, but no longer worn daily). I loved the Keens so much I went on eBay and Amazon and found all the last pairs of that model and bought all the ones my size, stocking up on them for 6 years. Only got a few months left...somewhere I poked big thorns through the rubber that covers the toe within the first few months of wearing them, and thought "damn, that's gonna tear some day". Sure enough. I had some leftover 3M black urethane automotive body seam sealer that I had to dig out of the tube with a nail, but I gooped it under the rubber toes on the Keen shoes to glue them back together and ====my god====it held!===== Something that actually adheres to rubber! I didn't even wash the dirt off first. Been 2 months now, still holding, still hiking on rocky trails about 4 miles a day with these shoes. Good stuff, that 3m Urethane. Tried Shoe-Goo once. That lasted 5 minutes on rubber souls.
I like the way you think. We have a lot in common. I love cats and well made footwear. I pay $100+ for a pair of real Birkenstocks and wear them day in day out for years. They're basically my only footwear. Made of real leather.
When I used to have to wear boots I like redwings but they started getting crappy the last couple pair I bought were garbage.
The only actual shoes I own are a pair of New Balance light trail runner type shoes.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #189
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I like the way you think. We have a lot in common. I love cats and well made footwear. I pay $100+ for a pair of real Birkenstocks and wear them day in day out for years. They're basically my only footwear. Made of real leather.
When I used to have to wear boots I like redwings but they started getting crappy the last couple pair I bought were garbage.
The only actual shoes I own are a pair of New Balance light trail runner type shoes.
Yea, the Birkenstock sandals! I could care less that they have a "fashionable" name, I just like the all leather uppers construction, and a sole (not soul) that isn't soft like a pencil eraser. I found 3 pair of them in my size at Marshals or whatever for like $20 a pair. They tear at the front strap where it stitches into the footbed after a year or so when I wear them, though. Maybe it was the rain in Hawai'i that causes the leather to stretch. I just pulled out the last unused pair from storage when I urethane-glued the Keens and only had heavy boots to wear around for a day. Not used to heavy boots these days, after living in Hawai'i. Many people there don't even wear any shoes ever.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #190
Bus Crazy

Whoops, my bad.
My sandals are Dr. Martins
Old 01-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #191
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yea, the Birkenstock sandals! I could care less that they have a "fashionable" name, I just like the all leather uppers construction, and a sole (not soul) that isn't soft like a pencil eraser. I found 3 pair of them in my size at Marshals or whatever for like $20 a pair. They tear at the front strap where it stitches into the footbed after a year or so when I wear them, though. Maybe it was the rain in Hawai'i that causes the leather to stretch. I just pulled out the last unused pair from storage when I urethane-glued the Keens and only had heavy boots to wear around for a day. Not used to heavy boots these days, after living in Hawai'i. Many people there don't even wear any shoes ever.
I bought a new used pair on ebay from Hawaii. WHen I opened the package it EXPLODED with lil red cockroaches. Took us a few years and a few more cats to get rid of the bastards.
After that I did some google-fu and found that apparently the aloha state has quite a cockroach problem.
They were hard to get rid of!
Old 01-06-2020, 04:58 PM   #192
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Birkenstocks for me, wear them everyday. Glad we are done killing cats. I have two and they are great.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #193
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Birkenstocks for me, wear them everyday. Glad we are done killing cats. I have two and they are great.
Says the guy with the best smelling skoolie lol.
Your bus is DREAMY, man.

Can't wait to see you two again.

I currently have "dress" birks and "work" birks.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #194
Bus Crazy

There is a book about "So you want to move to Hawai'i?"

The first thing it says is, if you don't like bugs, don't move there. But the cockroaches are just as bad in GA where I grew up, honestly.

one summer long ago, they just started swarming one night and came out of hiding all at once. Hundreds on the walls, flying through the rooms. My mom said 2 summers ago was like that also. She sleeps with the light on because she is scared of them!

Saw that on a full-moon night in Hawai'i once. Suddenly they were coming in hoards through the holes in the screen. I looked outside the upstairs window with the interior lights off, and hundreds upon hundreds were crawling over the lower roof, thousands upon thousands were all flying up up up into the sky....to do what I don't know.

First time I went camping there, I slept in a beach-cave, and woke up reflexively swatting a roach on my forehead. Splat. ****! I slept in tents from then on. Then I was bit by a blue centipede. That left me virtually paralyzed with pain...pain like i didn't know pain could be. I was laying in bed thinking, "if I had an allergic reaction, I couldn't even get up to call the ambulance." One time years before I repelled down a 600' rope, and the only way back was climbing the rope (with mechanical acenders). Twenty feet off the floor on the way up, my jeweled-nuts slipped under my repelling harness, and there really was nothing I could do. I tried, trust me. Every step up was like getting kicked in the groin, and each step was less than a foot (12"), so how many times is that? But if I just sat there, they were still being squeezed quite tightly. I was wimpering, crying at the top "get me the hell off this rope!" I'd trade doing that again for not having another centipede bite me. I slept outside a few times when I let some young girl who was hangin' with me for the weekend sleep in my one-person tent. Not worried about the roaches...just the centipedes. Wicked and quick those things are!
Old 01-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #195
Bus Geek

I'd love to visit and try the weed and the mangoes.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #196
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Man, the house I last rented had a mango tree in the front yard. It had the "best mangoes on the island" as judged by a 10-year-old kid in the neighborhood who grew up there. Also had a Rainbow Eucalyptus. Really pretty tree. Likely the toxic vog from the volcanic eruption 3 miles uphill killed the trees on that property. After I retreated uphill, it killed the tree I slept/camped under in one single day of vogginess (when the wind changed direction) and that was 10 or more miles away...
Old 01-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #197
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Says the guy with the best smelling skoolie lol.
Your bus is DREAMY, man.

Can't wait to see you two again.

I currently have "dress" birks and "work" birks.
Less then a month away we will be down there.

yea dress birks and work birks too. And up here in the cold, toe socks!
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #198
Bus Nut

I was reading a story about a woman who threw a bucket of poop at another woman, she got arrested. The attacker is trying to debate that it was only compost. It reminded me of some of you guys.

Florida woman is arrested for throwing a bucket of human feces in her landlord's face
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ords-face.html
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #199
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I have been several times and can definitely recommend the Mango's.

As far as the other.... I wish that I could take my own.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #200
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not a dog person.. but I would never think of shooting one because it left excrement in my yard or a friend's dog would Poo in my house.. really?

shot your wife's cat because it Poo'd on the floor?? that is a real piece of work..

if my roomate's cat Poos on my carpet i may curse a little and then I use this invention called the "quicker picker upper".. comes in a convenient roll of 100 for a buck or so... afterwords I get this contraption out that I think cost me $100 over 10 years ago.. its called a Spot-Bot.. I push a button and carpet is clean..

for the neighbor who let her dog poo in my yard.. these Neat-O things called CAMERAS and EMAIL to the (usually useless) HOA.. now she bypasses my house on her walk... problem solved and dog wasnt harmed..

isnt it rather simple????
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote