Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 02:34 AM   #141
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
According to the FAQ, the aforementioned incarnation can be used even when incinerating, so your first concern is not an issue. However, as to your second point...

"Any qualified electrician can install your new INCINOLET, even if they’ve never heard of an electric toilet before! It requires a 20 amp dedicated circuit and a vent to the outside – just like installing a clothes dryer."

I read through the FAQ I didn't see anything in there about using it while incinerating, but I only glanced through quickly I must've overlooked it.

Quote:
If you were in a contest for the least efficient, most energy-intensive, and least eco-friendly method of dealing with poo, though... ding, ding, ding. Maybe that fission-powered crapper I've always dreamed of building wasn't crazy after all!

Yeah that sounds about right

dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #142
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
But think of the water savings
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:41 AM   #143
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
OK so I just finished reading 3 pages of debate of whether to put Poo in a dumpster or not.. and very little on the actual use of water on an RV toilet.. although I tend to believe Ronnie because he has /. is using an RV toilet and would know how much water it uses vs someone just tryimg to compare it to a house toilet..

if the flush is "on" when pedal is pressed and off when not.. then id guess water use varies depending on whether your digestive system is "Nice" to you that day or not...

alas then if you have a Home depot bucket or fancy ""compost"" toilet.. what is the **proper** thing to do when you are travelling.. if you have a diverter you essentially have a "trucker bomb" you have to empty someplace.. and a big Doggie-bag full of sawdust and poo or diort and poo etc.. I know if I ever decide to build an RV of some type.. im not the type to grow a garden.. so I dont have my own Compost bins at home.. what would I do? some will say put it in the trash.. others will say im going to kill children if I do so...

for me it seems an RV toilet would be the answer since I dump it at a dumpimng station that is designed and approved for such waste..

seems proper venting of any type of portable toilet is paramount since there are no traditional traps for gasses...

ive been inside busses where the "compost" toilet stank and I thought "damn how you live like this?"

and ive been inside busses where i was like "theres a compost toilet in here?" because i didnt know it was there...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #144
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
OK so I just finished reading 3 pages of debate of whether to put Poo in a dumpster or not.. and very little on the actual use of water on an RV toilet.. although I tend to believe Ronnie because he has /. is using an RV toilet and would know how much water it uses vs someone just tryimg to compare it to a house toilet..

if the flush is "on" when pedal is pressed and off when not.. then id guess water use varies depending on whether your digestive system is "Nice" to you that day or not...

alas then if you have a Home depot bucket or fancy ""compost"" toilet.. what is the **proper** thing to do when you are travelling.. if you have a diverter you essentially have a "trucker bomb" you have to empty someplace.. and a big Doggie-bag full of sawdust and poo or diort and poo etc.. I know if I ever decide to build an RV of some type.. im not the type to grow a garden.. so I dont have my own Compost bins at home.. what would I do? some will say put it in the trash.. others will say im going to kill children if I do so...

for me it seems an RV toilet would be the answer since I dump it at a dumpimng station that is designed and approved for such waste..

seems proper venting of any type of portable toilet is paramount since there are no traditional traps for gasses...

ive been inside busses where the "compost" toilet stank and I thought "damn how you live like this?"

and ive been inside busses where i was like "theres a compost toilet in here?" because i didnt know it was there...

-Christopher
I think after a few minutes with their own poo folks don't notice anymore.

You know whose bus smells nice inside? Ronnie's! I coulda spent the day in there.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #145
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
But it would smell great!

Ted

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #146

How did you make your own?
kgxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #147
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Seems kinda harsh. Was just stating my observations while visiting.
Guilty as charged -- sorry...

You caught a sensitive dog owner (me) off guard -- but trust me -- my harsh really comes out when I see another dog owner not picking up after their dog -- gives us all a bad rap...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #148
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

You caught a sensitive dog owner (me) off guard -- but trust me -- my harsh really comes out when I see another dog owner not picking up after their dog -- gives us all a bad rap...
No biggie.
I rescue dogs quite often and have a hound that's become part of the family since someone dumped her out where I keep our bus.

I'd never take her in a restaurant though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #149
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I love dogs, but I simply cannot imagine taking a dog in a restaurant, especially Buster, who is the most aggressively friendly dog I have ever kept.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #150
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No biggie.
I rescue dogs quite often and have a hound that's become part of the family since someone dumped her out where I keep our bus.

I'd never take her in a restaurant though.
https://614now.com/2018/food-drink/c...gs-dog-pawties

(okay, not mything but...)

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #151
Bus Nut

I have lots of experience brewing my own beer, and I am very curious about their recipe for "specially brewed dog beer." I think that's a bit much, but I always try to reserve my opinion until I have adequate information.

Buster gets by just fine with a couple tablespoons of PNW microbrewery IPA. He loves that stuff as much as I do and would consume much more if I let him.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #152
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post

Do you think this every time you see someone left their bag of **** on the side of the trail, or blow it off, thinking everyone is like you and is going to pick it up on the way out? What do you think the people think of you when they see you've left yours on the side of the trail? You give the bad rap as much as anyone else.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Spoken like a true cat lover. I don't care much for cats and occasionally use them for target practice, but I don't try to force my opinion on others.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #154
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
Spoken like a true cat lover. I don't care much for cats and occasionally use them for target practice, but I don't try to force my opinion on others.
I could only hope your dog wanders onto my cat property.

I offered no opinion, only asked the opinion of others.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #155
Bus Nut

And I did not accuse you of forcing your opinion on others, because you didn't do that, at least this time. I just said I don't do that.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #156
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
It varies, water runs as long as the foots down in an RV toilet. You can flush urine with 6oz of water, or you can stand there with the foot down for 10 seconds dumping half a gallon hoping the soiled bowl washes clean before you have to reach for a brush. Its a matter of how you use it, maintain it, and what discipline you have. But if you're the type that doesn't like to take care of dirty business head on, you're probably going to resort to higher water use. Which adds up to easily a gallon a day per person.

Quote:
Yup.

Quote:
Use Pete Moss, never sawdust. Sawdust will take months to years to compost, Pete Moss has microbial life that goes to work on waste within minutes. A couple days to a week later, whats left has been dried and "processed" by the organisms in the moss, whats left looks like potting soil. At this juncture, dump it in a bag and throw it in the trash. It will end up in a landfill where it will be fine. The bag you put it in does more environmental damage than the pseudo-compost.

Quote:
Dump fees can range from complimentary with a stay at a park, to $5-$10. If you have to dump every week and you're full-timing, that's $40 a month plus the diesel you burn every time you have to move your rig. If you like to stay on the move, not as big of a deal. But if you're full-timing it, you probably don't want to burn through $50 in fuel by the coercion of needing to dump black water.

Confront your intention - are you going off grid full time? Or do you just want a vacation rig that you take out for a couple or a few weeks a year? Unless you're rich, you'll become fuel conscious and a bit neurotic about when, where and why you're willing to move. Requiring a dump station could end up requiring you to budget $150 or more in a month if you find yourself many many miles from civilization, making a special trip for water & dumping as opposed to a scheduled grocery & resupply trip.

Quote:
Yes, and that's essentially a $5 tiny fan, a $10 vent and what amounts to a vacuum hose to expel the air if you DIY your own build instead of spending $950 on the Mercedes Benz of thrones. Composting toilets keep their waste bins somewhat sealed. Typically, ambient air flows in, and any possibly odorous air flows out via help from the fan. So the air is kept separated away from the interior of the rig.

Quote:
If poorly managed, anything can stink. Thoughtful design & tech is never a supplement for responsibility.

Quote:

-Christopher
Dem0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #157
Bus Geek

Compost piles require a carbon-to-nitrogen ratio of around 30 parts carbon for one part nitrogen. Sphagnum Peat Moss, as I understand it, has more nitrogen content and thus helps promote the composting process.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #158
Bus Nut

"Use Pete Moss, never sawdust. Sawdust will take months to years to compost, Pete Moss has microbial life that goes to work on waste within minutes. A couple days to a week later, whats left has been dried and "processed" by the organisms in the moss, whats left looks like potting soil. At this juncture, dump it in a bag and throw it in the trash. It will end up in a landfill where it will be fine. The bag you put it in does more environmental damage than the pseudo-compost."

What you say about sawdust is true, for conifer sawdust. Hardwood sawdust tends to compost much easier in a high-nitrogen situation, and it takes a high-nitrogen situation to compost any kind of wood.

I intend to experiment with adding different substances to my compost in order to increase the amount of carbon. I will try peat moss, and other substances as well, to see how they perform in my system. One of my criteria for choosing a material to add, and I would prefer at least 2 different materials, is that I be able to purchase these carbon additive materials at somewhere like Walmart or Home Depot in fairly large quantities. Things like bedding material for small pets.

[EDIT] And I intend to use compost starter, which is freeze dried bacteria. I will add small quantities as the pile builds, and then it will "bloom" when the mass is adequate. My reasoning behind doing this is that I don't think the microbes on peat are the best kind of microbes for composting. I would expect the microbes on peat moss to be good at surviving in a peat bog, which is quite acidic.

I have never seriously considered putting a regular toilet and blackwater tank in my bus. I don't know anything about regular RV toilets because I have never used one. They've always seriously grossed me out. Whenever I went camping with someone in their RV, I used the outhouse. If it stinks, I would just light a smoke and that would cover the smell.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #159
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
Trying to figure this statement out, but all I smell is a piece of ****
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #160
Bus Nut

That's too bad. All I smell is some people trying to force their opinions on others. It's very true that not everyone does that, but there are always a few.