Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bean Blossom
Posts: 17
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC RE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Why Not International

I sort asked this in another thread. I am just ready to get a bus to convert. I have always liked the International IC RE as for as looks and the way it drives. So why does it seem that very very few are being used for converting and why are so many going with Blue Bird and Thomas? Am I missing something?
Papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajoe View Post
I sort asked this in another thread. I am just ready to get a bus to convert. I have always liked the International IC RE as for as looks and the way it drives. So why does it seem that very very few are being used for converting and why are so many going with Blue Bird and Thomas? Am I missing something?
I just got one with 30K on new engine. Couldn't be happier. I actually wanted a Thomas for looks and cooking but couldn't pass up the deal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,950
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I expect because "money", the other brands come up for sale more often and can be had reasonably. Many of the IC's are still in service and not due for retirement yet.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,477
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajoe View Post
I sort asked this in another thread. I am just ready to get a bus to convert. I have always liked the International IC RE as for as looks and the way it drives. So why does it seem that very very few are being used for converting and why are so many going with Blue Bird and Thomas? Am I missing something?
International sold chassis to Thomas and Bluebird.
AmTran aka IC bus are my favorite.

Thomas is my least favorite.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,477
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
I just got one with 30K on new engine. Couldn't be happier. I actually wanted a Thomas for looks and cooking but couldn't pass up the deal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How is a thomas any better or worse for "cooking"????
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How is a thomas any better or worse for "cooking"????
Lol....that should be cooling. Sorry!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,477
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti View Post
Lol....that should be cooling. Sorry!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How is a Thomas better for cooling?
They're usually the one with the most RE cooling problems. IC has the least.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How is a Thomas better for cooling?
They're usually the one with the most RE cooling problems. IC has the least.
Thought it was the other way around. Good to know. I am really pleased with my purchase. No serious rust on the undercarriage either

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Serengeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bean Blossom
Posts: 17
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC RE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Most of the IC's around here have at least a one bay basement. The schools with money have a two bay basement. But actually saw one with a three bay basement and a storage box on either side. I turned around so I could see what district it was and stopped at their garage to see when they would be getting rid of them...lol I guess I am a skoolie and don't even have one yet. I just never have liked the Thomas or Blue Bird. Always thought they were ugly. Now the new Blue Birds are really nice. 12 to 15 years from now they will make great conversions.
Papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,477
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajoe View Post
Most of the IC's around here have at least a one bay basement. The schools with money have a two bay basement. But actually saw one with a three bay basement and a storage box on either side. I turned around so I could see what district it was and stopped at their garage to see when they would be getting rid of them...lol I guess I am a skoolie and don't even have one yet. I just never have liked the Thomas or Blue Bird. Always thought they were ugly. Now the new Blue Birds are really nice. 12 to 15 years from now they will make great conversions.
the buses of TODAY won't be around in 15 years. They're like new cars. Old stuff is fixable and re-usable. The latest diesel engines are SO BAD that schools are ordering buses with propane, gas, natural gas, etc.
The good buses for us folks to convert ended with tier 2 emissions.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I was looking at an international amtram, but I got a better deal on my bluebird.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
the buses of TODAY won't be around in 15 years. They're like new cars. Old stuff is fixable and re-usable. The latest diesel engines are SO BAD that schools are ordering buses with propane, gas, natural gas, etc.
The good buses for us folks to convert ended with tier 2 emissions.

What is funny is a lot of buses built between 1997 and 2006 will still be around as spares or trip buses long after the 2007-2017 buses were put out to pasture. Many operators are hanging onto their older buses because the older buses require a lot less upkeep to be able to keep them on the road. The older buses with few, if any, electronics are better able to sit around doing nothing for weeks at a time than the fully electronic multi-plexed buses of the present.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 719
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I am a fan of my fully mechanical engine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What is funny is a lot of buses built between 1997 and 2006 will still be around as spares or trip buses long after the 2007-2017 buses were put out to pasture. Many operators are hanging onto their older buses because the older buses require a lot less upkeep to be able to keep them on the road. The older buses with few, if any, electronics are better able to sit around doing nothing for weeks at a time than the fully electronic multi-plexed buses of the present.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I am a fan of my fully mechanical engine.
As are at least the school shop guys in WV where I bought my bus. They hated the newer buses and had a shop full of them. I guess they don't get a vote come purchase time.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 3,711
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajoe View Post
So why does it seem that very very few are being used for converting and why are so many going with Blue Bird and Thomas? Am I missing something?
Windows slope inward so a roof raise would be different so I ruled those out for the most part. I have a Blue bird because it's the bus I didn't get outbid on.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bean Blossom
Posts: 17
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC RE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
What is funny is a lot of buses built between 1997 and 2006 will still be around as spares or trip buses long after the 2007-2017 buses were put out to pasture. Many operators are hanging onto their older buses because the older buses require a lot less upkeep to be able to keep them on the road. The older buses with few, if any, electronics are better able to sit around doing nothing for weeks at a time than the fully electronic multi-plexed buses of the present.
Not in Indiana. I cant remember if it is 12 or 15 years but the law requires them to be traded out. To prevent these districts from running rust bucks for years on end.
Papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,477
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajoe View Post
Not in Indiana. I cant remember if it is 12 or 15 years but the law requires them to be traded out. To prevent these districts from running rust bucks for years on end.
My 92 Ward Senator was still serving as a backup and field trip bus until late 2013. 21 years in service is pretty good considering its not a Crown or Gillig. Still got a lot of life left in it, too.
I went to public school in Indiana for half a year when I was a kid. Coming from FL, it was shocking how much better the schools were up there. They had computers, even! How much a school has in its budget, and where its physically located determine how nice the buses are when we end up being able to buy them.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Bean Blossom
Posts: 17
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC RE
Chassis: International
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My 92 Ward Senator was still serving as a backup and field trip bus until late 2013. 21 years in service is pretty good considering its not a Crown or Gillig. Still got a lot of life left in it, too.
I went to public school in Indiana for half a year when I was a kid. Coming from FL, it was shocking how much better the schools were up there. They had computers, even! How much a school has in its budget, and where its physically located determine how nice the buses are when we end up being able to buy them.

Ya the district that I drove for had every bell and whistle you could get. They even had air ride on the steer axles. Darn near limo tent and air in all of them.
Papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #19
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,098
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
I love my 2003 International!
Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
many school districts contract out the bus service. ie first student which is actually international corp. i have found many school districts that run their own barn that do buy the high prices equipment as it aint their money... its yours of course but what do they care. most states that i know have a time limit of service like 10 or 15 yrs, but i dont know if it is federal req.
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×