Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

wife

my wife and i are buying land to build an earthship that i will build myself.we are going to buy something to live in on the property.but she does not like the idea of living in a bus.i told her we could convert it cheaper then buying an rv that we know nothing about roof and so on you get the idea.the bus will be longer better insulated built how we want it i will do it myself.i plan on even putting a woodstove in it.fullkitchen 1 of those old style bathtubes those big 1s that hold 2 people nice.we have 2 kids there beds will be below the king bed in back plus even a livingroom space.the fireplace will keep us worm if the house takes till next winter.we are buying 3 big batteries 1st off and 3 solar panels to run most everything we will still have power at the property. i just need to convince her so i ask how.i have seen some great buses here tome rv are built bad a bus would be great everything just how we want it.plus we will be vactioning in it.please help

familyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: wife

Welcome! Good luck with the wife bro. You are not alone in having a woman who is ambiguous about the whole bus thing. I suggest you surf the gallery and discussion on this site and other sites, and find some other families with buses who are loving it, and share those stories and pictures with your wife. I found this one helpful: http://errabundusbus.blogspot.com/. There is another family bus on this site - a long white cabover style - which has pics somewhere in this website and their own website. This site has lots of photos of really cool bus/truck conversions, some with families: http://www.mrsharkey.com/.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

You know those big cargo ship containers? I read somewhere that old, out of commission ones are sold off for a couple hundred bucks. Could have someone ship one of those to the property and build it up real nice. There are some seriously nice houses made with those things.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Skoolie

where you at sounds like taos, where im at, if you are call me up 2153507209 my girlfriend cant wait to move into the bus>>>> can anyone tell me more about where to find these shipping containers? im very interested im doing the same thing in taos just no an earthship.
adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #5

thanks for the reply.the container cannot do it want to take bus on vaction.question how hard is it to take windows out and put in sheet metal.do you have to wield it or can you srcew it in.and what kind of toilet is best if no water is used.i have seen them with bags you just through away.my number is 3365776595 need help going to buy bus in 2 weeks and need to make it liveable as quick as possible so w can live on land and stop paying rent here to save money to build house.thank for all
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Re:help

weekend or after 9:00pm number 336 722 0443 need help
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Regarding your questions about windows, toilet, etc. I suggest you start doing searches on this forum for the topics you are interested in. There is a wealth of information here about most common conversion components, including windows and toilets.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote