Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NE TN
Posts: 26
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 5 Window
Window tint legalese

So was thinking about going ahead and tinting my bus windows soon after I seal them up. But here is the rub. I was thinking vans and such could be limo tint on the back and side windows except drivers and passenger window. But the new Tennessee law says 35percent. There isn't a bus specific part but says it applies to all vehicles (vans and suvs are specified).

So I wonder if you are breaking the law with curtains in vans and buses since this blocks 100percent. I was figuring the bed headboard and footboard/shelves would block the rear side and rear windows. Bathroom would block another on the side. I wanted to do 5percent for heat reduction and privacy along with curtains. I've had to deal with a state trooper when I was younger over tint (was legal but we couldn't see the sticker at night). Has anyone had issues with Johnny Law harassing you over the tint or window coverings? This would be in TN and surrounding areas as we don't plan on any trips too far away.

Spaznaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 706
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
laws change from state to state...however....
If you leave the windshield and front windows...the windows you look through to see your mirrors,,then you should be fine...think of all the trucks out there that have no side windows, UPS delivery trucks, high cubes, the list is long. No one has ever been hassled for covering windows with sheets of steel.....even tour buses have the side windows tinted very dark...
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,323
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
RVs, Buses, Limousines: Different

Our passenger glass is factory tinted. We added heat blocking film the remaining driver's windows. Very difficult to tell from outside. More reflection than dark appearance. The film makes the driving experience totally different. No glare (day/night), much less heat through the windshield.


Greenfilm, Heat & UV Blocking window film, to the windshield. (driver's side for comparison)
Manufacturer claims it blocks 38% of infrared heat, 84% of UV rays, and tinted 50% light.

__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 706
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
DeMac...please give more details on the "Heat Blocking" film.
Source, cost, ease of application.
TIA
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,323
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Sooner the Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
DeMac...please give more details on the "Heat Blocking" film.
Source, cost, ease of application.
TIA
I found the product, Greenfilm, on Amazon. I don't remember the cost, but I am typically frugal, so probably about $25 for each product.


We installed 100% black out (blocks 100% light, IR & UV rays) on the bottom pane of the rear windows. Interior finish available in matt, satin, glossy and various colors. Our pealaway side, which faces out, is glossy; satin facing in.

By doing the lower glass, we block half of the suns radiation heat through the rear windows without loosing the view.


From outside, we cannot see the difference between the upper and lower glass. They look just like the tinted window above. Just can't see anything. Even the yellow insulation, Ha!

(6' eye level)

(camera higher up)

The 4 piece windshield, drivers sliders & pax door received the 50% tint. With the passenger windows being so dark, it really does look like normal factory glass. Not dark, its just very reflective from outside, only slightly darker than original.

(tinted windshield, prior to tinting door)

(With grey wool curtain interior)

Both types were really easy to put on. Mist the glass with water and squeegee out the bubbles. It can also be peeled off and reapplied, as there is no glue. We did a couple of them over. Cleaning all of the windows with Windex beforehand felt like more work than the tint.

Black out is produced in the exact width of our pax window glass, so we had to make only one cut for each window pane. The grid lines on the peel away backing made straight cuts a breeze.

We could really tell the difference while we were still installing it. I was always ready to just hold it in front of my face while misting (humidity) the glass.

The driver will notice the solar blocking, on the windshield, the most. I don't feel the UV & IR rays from the sun. Night-time, glares & on-comming headlights are reflected, too.

Our drivers slider is 30" tall & hot.


We installed the tint & 120v a/c durring the demo phase because Florida is effin hot. No since in waiting, build comfortably to achieve more manhours per day. Couples will be cooler for more of the 'other' activity, too.
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NE TN
Posts: 26
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 5 Window
Tn tint law says no reflective material. But I see local transit with white window coverings for lettering and such. I wonder what the difference is with the ceramic tint and if it is easier or harder to install? Did you buy a roll to install? Mine is just a 5 window so wouldn't need nearly as much as you big bus guys/gals.
Spaznaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 706
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I wonder if by "reflective" they are referring to the mirror type products that would reflect headlights back at on coming vehicles.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:35 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Suburbs of Winterset, OH
Posts: 706
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Once again, thank you DeMac. I remember driving my first bus...and baking behind that huge windshield.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,323
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Find a Loophole and Step Through It. Fearlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaznaut View Post
Tn tint law says no reflective material. But I see local transit with white window coverings for lettering and such. I wonder what the difference is with the ceramic tint and if it is easier or harder to install? Did you buy a roll to install? Mine is just a 5 window so wouldn't need nearly as much as you big bus guys/gals.
I'm not familiar with TN law, however most legislation includes exceptions. It's worth researching the categories of vehicle that may hold an exception.

For instance, K-9 units. Doesn't mean you must have a dog inside 24/7, but at least take the time to apply some red letter decals which read "K-9 Unit", "K-9 Inside", "Canine Transport". Maybe carry a fancy document with you. Let Jonny Law decide to hassle you for tint, or not. Just don't be low hanging fruit.

Check out the link below for information on receiving a medical waiver for the tint law as well as more exceptions to tint laws, in general. Church Vehicles, Buses, Limos, Herses, Ambulances, etc.

https://www.rvinyl.com/medical-window-tint
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,323
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Duplicate Post

Duplicate Post
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:43 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 964
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
I found the product, Greenfilm, on Amazon. I don't remember the cost, but I am typically frugal, so probably about $25 for each product.


We installed 100% black out (blocks 100% light, IR & UV rays) on the bottom pane of the rear windows. Interior finish available in matt, satin, glossy and various colors. Our pealaway side, which faces out, is glossy; satin facing in.

By doing the lower glass, we block half of the suns radiation heat through the rear windows without loosing the view.


From outside, we cannot see the difference between the upper and lower glass. They look just like the tinted window above. Just can't see anything. Even the yellow insulation, Ha!

(6' eye level)

(camera higher up)

The 4 piece windshield, drivers sliders & pax door received the 50% tint. With the passenger windows being so dark, it really does look like normal factory glass. Not dark, its just very reflective from outside, only slightly darker than original.

(tinted windshield, prior to tinting door)

(With grey wool curtain interior)

Both types were really easy to put on. Mist the glass with water and squeegee out the bubbles. It can also be peeled off and reapplied, as there is no glue. We did a couple of them over. Cleaning all of the windows with Windex beforehand felt like more work than the tint.

Black out is produced in the exact width of our pax window glass, so we had to make only one cut for each window pane. The grid lines on the peel away backing made straight cuts a breeze.

We could really tell the difference while we were still installing it. I was always ready to just hold it in front of my face while misting (humidity) the glass.

The driver will notice the solar blocking, on the windshield, the most. I don't feel the UV & IR rays from the sun. Night-time, glares & on-comming headlights are reflected, too.

Our drivers slider is 30" tall & hot.


We installed the tint & 120v a/c durring the demo phase because Florida is effin hot. No since in waiting, build comfortably to achieve more manhours per day. Couples will be cooler for more of the 'other' activity, too.
Very nice DeMac! The blackout on the bottom of the windows is a great way to hide the back of your counters or appliances from the outside. The reflective tint may be the solution I was looking for for my bus also.

Thanks

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
katix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 40
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
y'all are always a source of great info!


i live high in the Rockies where excess cold is a far more common issue than heat. so i open curtains and let in the sun all day when possible, then return to more insulated windows at night.


what are your thoughts on window tint in cold climates? i haven't installed any lately, but on a couple windows i have removed some worn out bubbled tint from a couple decades ago. because i want all the passive solar heating i can get. i assume tint would decrease the passive solar, as that's kinda the point...


(privacy is not a pressing issue, since i'm usually hidden in the woods, with thin curtains for privacy after dark and thick insulated curtains for winter nights.)
__________________
katix and her cats
in #TheBarbieDreambus
a 1971 Chevy C60 skoolie
katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:41 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 17
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Rated Cap: 44
There right each state has its own laws. So it depends on the type of vehicle also. Once you have the title of the bus changed over to a motor home or Rv, its no long a bus and the tint law now applies as an motor home. Ohio law is nothing can be on the front windshield and only 30% tint on drivers side. Since the passenger side is a door it can be as dark as you want.
Good luck with it. Mine are 88% tine on all windows behind my drivers seat and havent ever had any issues.
Choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.