Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Skoolie

Window upgrade options

Hi.

I'm going to reskin the bus and I will be deleting some windows but I want to leave the exit windows on the side and two more in each side up front so I have been looking around and I can't find something that fits exactly, basically it will require cutting one rib to have a big window up front and find another exit window to replace.

The openings I have are 26x29" and if I remove one rib in the front 54x29" and I have found windows that are exit windows but 26x30 ( required opening) so it means that I might have to cut half inch each site to fit it and the 54x29 will require to cut one rib and reinforce to fit.

is this recommended/standar way of installing new windows in a bus ?

are frameless windows bad ? there is some on sale that are close to the size that are fair priced....

Thanks.

pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

I'm surprise that no one has input on this since there is a lot of project of people changing windows....

I just want to know if is safe to just cut the rib, build a metal frame reinforced to accommodate for the new window opening.
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yes, people frame out new window holes with steel about the same as you would in a house.

It's easier for people to follow your build progress if you use one thread. Your build thread should tell your whole build story.