Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Windows

Smitty,
I don't see why using those windows wouldn't work. Unless there's some funky vibration problem that would eventually cause them to leak, they look really nice. Wonder how easy it would be to make up that 3.25" width, though. Sounds like a lot, but then again, after adding all the extra insulation and such, it may not be difficult at all.

Thanks for the idea! I may have to use it on BOB when I get him home.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Just make sure that they are tempered glass. I would think that the IG banding would be the same in an RV window as it is residential, if it wasnt you may have an issue with the seals breaking due to movement which would ruin the glass unit.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'd never use feebay for anything, and I'd rather buy somewhere I can return in the event of a problem, not to mention I like to hold what I'm buying and take it with me when it's paid for (lol...can ya tell I don't like feebay?)
You might want to start liking e-bay. yes you have to wait a while to get your products, cant just carry them out of the store. But when it comes to RV parts, you will safe a ton of money buying on e-bay. Unless you have access to some great RV chunk yards that sell reasonable.
I doubt that those windows are tempered safety glass and hence would not use it in an RV.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You'll likely need tempered safety glass to meet any kind of DOT regulations for a vehicle.

As for ebay, that is the best resource out there for convsion parts, about HALF my bus came from ebay, particularly Tri-State Surplus... you will not find RV windows at a lower cost ANYWHERE, and she is a very good seller and fast shipper. I have bought from them 15-16 times without any problems...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo

Sorry Smitty, but I gotta agree with Van.
I hate PayPal with a passion, and will never use them again for anything, but I contact the seller direct to purchase and have had pretty good luck.

In other words, I use the service but don't line e-bays pockets (Yes, I'm cheating the system! POWER TO THE PEOPLE BABY!!!)
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbusser
Sorry Smitty, but I gotta agree with Van.
I hate PayPal with a passion, and will never use them again for anything, but I contact the seller direct to purchase and have had pretty good luck.

In other words, I use the service but don't line e-bays pockets (Yes, I'm cheating the system! POWER TO THE PEOPLE BABY!!!)
And i'm sure Smitty fully agrees with you too.

For me its the other way around, I will not purchase or sell to anybody on e-bay unless they deal with PayPal. I have been screwed once and only got my money back because of Pay-Pal.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thats why when I have gotten stuff off of ebay, I watch the page till the time is about to run out, then I bid in the last minute or two. I have found that if one bids while there is still hours on the clock, some ass will bid way more than the item is worth. Easier to just 'snipe' the item. Dont forget, your buying from average people, not a bigname store. Read the descriptions, look at the pictures. If something doesnt look right, move on. I have seen people claim that the item was brand new, but their pictures show scratches and fading on the item. Dont buy from them. Dont forget that you can also ask questions of the seller. Once again, If something doesnt look right, walk away. You do the same thing when looking at busses.

I've also bought from ebay a handful of times with no problems. I did get a videogame system that looks great but didnt work once, but I got another of the same system a day later that looked like it was beaten but worked like new. Swapped out the shells and have one system that looks good and works great.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Bus Nut

The reason I said tempered glass is for your own safety, having regular plate glass can be very dangerous especially in a moving vehicle, if someone were to slip and fall into it or was sitting on a bench with this above their head and it broke, it could potentially kill them. A friend of mine went through plate glass in a store front and now has about an 8" gash on his head that now looks like part of the female anatomy, the other kid almost died after a piece went into his neck. The difference with "safety glass" aka laminated glass is that the laminated has 2 very thin sheets of glass that sandwich a piece of plastic film, same as a windshield, tempered is just what it is. They both are strong on the face the difference being that when tempered breaks it pops into tons of little tiny pieces so it wil not do any major damage to you. Laminated is safer than regular plate (annealed) but if you managed to fall into laminated hard enough you could potentially go through it and be stuck as the large glass shards would still be held together and the plastic would keep this glass tight around whatever body part went through. You have to use lami on a windshield because if a rock hits it it will break but remain intact, if tempered was hit hard enough it would shatter and you would have no more windshield, otherwise it really isnt that safe. Heavy equipment typically has tempered all the way around the cabs.

As far as ebay, 95% of my parts came from it without a single problem, it is hard to find many of them elsewhere. I was given a good tip along time ago about paypal, make sure that you use a credit card, never your bank account. It is alot easier to dispute your CC than it is paypal.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Here in VA, operating a motor vehicle built after 1935 with any window or door glass that isn't safety glass is a class 4 misdemeanor.

Also, if the vehicle GVWR is 26,001 or higher, or the GCWR is 26,001 or higher and the towed part exceeds 10,000 pounds, they can add an additional fine of up to $500. I suspect other states have similar laws.

Frankly, I think it'd be cheaper to stick with safety glass, even if it meant replacing the glass in that window you like with safety glass.

You might ask if they have a version with safety glass, and save yourself some potential hassles.

hope this helps,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Bus Nut

You would think that you could order it with tempered. Most building codes require this if the window is in a wet area i.e. bathroom or if the window is less than 36" from the floor. I dont know how well the annealed glass would hold up over time with rocks and other road debris getting kicked up either. If you look enough Id bet you could get the thinner RV windows for close to the same price. The money spent on supplies for doing trim to compensate for the extra thickness may also quickly eat up any money saved. All the little odds and ends add up soooo fast, that is what is killing me the closer I get to completion.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo

Ok, lets throw a little kerosene on this fire

One of my uncles is a member of the tin can tourists. I can't really explain what they are other than a group of rather odd people that travel around in some of the strangest vehicles I have ever seen. If you ever saw them camped somewhere you'd understand. I really relate well with the local bunch, so I started asking about windows. I explained my dilemma to my uncle and he laughed his butt off. I was totally confused.

We went to visit a guy named Larry and his lovely wife May. They are both in their late 80's and he built his own home from a 1954 Chevy 2 ton flatbed truck cab and chassis. He has residential windows in it and has never had a problem except for one he says he installed wrong and the slider would slam open when he got his rig "up to cruzin speed" (40 miles per hour, I swear!)

When he first built it, he used the "New fangled aluminum jobbies", but then switched to vinyl clad ones when they came out. I asked how he mounted them and he said with silicone caulk and some long screws. I guess the silicone is to seal and isolate them and the screws hold in place. I couldn't get a good look cuz May was cooking sauer kraut, and the smell just about kills me, so I kept my distance.

Long story short ( and I could go on forever about the stories this couple have ) they never had one shatter because of vibration. Never had one fall out, only had the one problem and he solved the slamming open issue with a stick in the runner.

I think I will start looking for some nice double pane vinyl clad windows in a green or brown color. Cheaper than RV windows around here, and If they are good enough for Larry and May, they are good enough for me.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

The flexing of a bus body wouldn't concern me too much since there is a long line of glass on either side of that "flexing body" already. Seems kinda silly to worry about that.

My biggest concern with home windows would be the vibrations associated with the bus. A house doesn't typically have to deal with pot holes and speed bumps . Then again... Now that I think on it, mobile homes and modular homes have regular windows and they don't break when being moved from point A to point B. So it appears my concerns are pointless!

So, when thinking about using vinyl clad windows... Safety should still be of some concern. Aren't some windows rated for hurricanes? Especially on the east coast along Florida! They're always getting hit. I think there is a rating called the Dade County Rating that is one of the most stringent when it comes to building materials used for homes in hurricane zones. You may want to ask about it in your local big box stores.

Otherwise, there should be a corresponding rating for people in tornado areas (one would hope so!). I realize glass doesn't stand a chance against a direct hit from either storm's force, but there is a ton of research on building materials made to better withstand glancing blows from debris.

I guess using typical home windows would come down to size and cost. Size would only matter if you're using the window as a possible escape hatch. And if you find the size you want, what's the cost versus a similarly sized RV window?

Smitty, please do let us know how things work out for ya. I could see you opening an entire new perspective on the shape of skoolies!

P.S. - has anyone thought of using the rear windows out of old rear engine buses? Place one on each side near the front and you'd have a lot of view, a good safety glass, and built in escape routes in case of an accident. Or are they just energy vampires too?
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I know a guy who used residential windows purchased from Home Depot for his bus. They were easy to install and look great. In two years he has had zero problems with them.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
by Abbott » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 pm

I know a guy who used residential windows purchased from Home Depot for his bus. They were easy to install and look great. In two years he has had zero problems with them.
GOT PICS?
kenfoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Bus Nut

$110 delivered brand new 53x26 thermopane RV windows with screens. It is hand crank and also fully opens for an emergency escape. How much cheaper could residential windows possibly be?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Trail ... 45eeaf165a
Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

Smitty....go for the windows you like. I agree there "could" be issues, but I really doubt it. Everyone has their opinion, but i think you would be just fine with house windows. Whether they would pass a dot inspection I have no idea, but I have never had one of those. Unless you live in bankruptafornia where they do those things every year and charge you an arm and a leg. haha. Everything I have seen you do already works great and you have some great knowledge, trust it and get the windows you want. My .02 for ya.