Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Skoolie

Windows in the roof?

Found this while looking for resources about putting windows in the top of the bus for sunlight. Very interesting use of a bus!

https://msmobilefarm.com/our-blog/

Here is the photo of the windows! Anyone else put windows in the roof or have feedback about it?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

That looks cute and admits a lot of natural light, but I wouldn't do it. Skylights have always been an invitation for leaks. Besides, I'll be covering much of my roof with solar panels.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
I put a Lewmar 70 series ocean hatch in after removing the original escape hatch. It worked perfectly and I only had to enlarge the original opening by about 1/2".

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
I put a Lewmar 70 series ocean hatch in after removing the original escape hatch. It worked perfectly and I only had to enlarge the original opening by about 1/2".

Bill
Oh man!! I did not even think to look at the marine application market! Thanks for the tip!

I have a crazy idea - and yes, I agree that windows in a roof are generally inviting trouble, but I am also ok with that risk as we can always just rivet metal back over the hole, lol.

My idea is this, what if you were to cut a channel down the middle of the bus, say 3-3.5' wide, and then raised the roof 12-14 inches, then cover the whole thing in tempered safety glass (Yes, I know this would be crazy expensive, but we are dreaming here). My thought is that you could then have a sort of mobile green house on the top of the bus!
Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Mmmmm...a 3-1/2' gap down the middle of ribs and sheetmetal doesn't leave much in the way of structure. And I would hardly consider any kind of glass as structural.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Mmmmm...a 3-1/2' gap down the middle of ribs and sheetmetal doesn't leave much in the way of structure. And I would hardly consider any kind of glass as structural.
I guess I should have elaborated that I would likely leave the ribs (or maybe every other one) intact the full length of the bus, I would just remove the skin needed to create openings. It is my understanding that buses are seriously over engineered for safety and when compared to a TT or other RV. Do you think removing the panel section and then inserting cross bracing between the ribs would address the structural support of the missing panel?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post

Bill
Wow, I thought that was a good idea until I priced out the hatch! $950 is a little steep for me...
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
If you watch on ebay they come up much cheaper ocasionally. I think I paid about $550 for mine.

But then the Ocean skyscreen on the bottom side will get the price back up.

Its a nice install though.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, windows