Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Windshield Replacement

After spending the winter in TX, we have come back to discover the little crack in the Bus' windshield has turned a rather large crack. Big enough we have to replace it. We have the 4 piece type (all flat glass). Any ideas where we might get a replacement? I was thinking that a good glass dealer could order us in a sheet of safety glass. Or would we need to go to an auto glass dealer? I've search for this but am running out of battery life (currently using my cellphone as a modem... it kills my battery in a very short time). Thanks.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Windshield Replacement

A glass place can cut it but you may want to check out some bus parts places, they are relatively cheap on flat windshields. Ive used TAC bus parts quite a bit. DOnt have there number handy but do a search in yahoo and you will find them.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I think you mean laminated, safety is for the sides.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Thanks for the info. Today I'm on my daughters wifi network by swiping my other daughters wifi antenna . So I can give my poor cellphone battery a rest. BTW, I do not have safety glass in the sid windows of my bus. I know because we have a broken out window with very sharp pieces.

On edit: I just checked the TAC website. I think $133 is a good price for the windshield. I was really expecting to pay more (plus big shipping bill). When it cools off this evening, we'll have to look and see what is involved with getting the windshield out and reinstalling a new one. But got lots of other things I need to do before working on the windshield. Like vacuuming all the mouse nests (and dirt/dust) out of the front of the bus (several mouse nests in the dash where the duct work is, need to replace some or all of the duct hoses while I have the dash tore open).
Old 06-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

You can cut windshield glass, it is laminated regular annealed glass. Tempered (which is used on the sides) cant be cut after it is tempered however, you can have a replacement piece cut and have a glass shop get it tempered, no big deal either way. So if someone told you that he is wrong, any glass company can do either one in flat glass, laminated in house and tempered is cut in house and sent to the supplier to temper. I had a side door glass cut (was laminated) out of a transit bus that cost me $80 and was alot smaller than a windshield. $133 is cheap, just see what shipping is.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pied Typer
The local BlueBird dealer quoted me $137 to my door for the drivers main window. It might be worth your time to call an authorized parts dealer just to see what they can do for you.
Looked up an authorized dealer... found one east of Albuquerque (a mere 114 miles). we'll try there first.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:17 PM   #7

Does anyone knows shops in Los Angeles , California area ? My windows got busted by passer by .
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 04:29 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Which windows? Are we talking windshield or the sliding “school bus” windows?

I had to replace the rear window on my Thomas ER (flat glass). I found that auto glass places want to order a windshield for a 96 Camry and slap it on a 96 Camry. I called an all purpose glass guy who I had used bf at my house. He came out with some auto safely glass, cut and installed in no time. He also told me that my rubber was backwards and he reversed it for me. The window is supposed to kick out from the inside and the orientation matters. Who knew [emoji1743]

Maybe someone else knows about sliding bus windows.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 05:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Which windows? Are we talking windshield or the sliding “school bus” windows?

I had to replace the rear window on my Thomas ER (flat glass). I found that auto glass places want to order a windshield for a 96 Camry and slap it on a 96 Camry. I called an all purpose glass guy who I had used bf at my house. He came out with some auto safely glass, cut and installed in no time. He also told me that my rubber was backwards and he reversed it for me. The window is supposed to kick out from the inside and the orientation matters. Who knew [emoji1743]

Maybe someone else knows about sliding bus windows.

[emoji3522]Dave
Oh sorry , Yes I was talking about side body sliding windows. 😅😂
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote