Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
winterizing....

Ok its that time of the year to think about winterizing.
I wasnt sure if this belonged here, or the everything else forum. So I put it here. If I'm wrong, smack my hands.
I filled up my water tank and then ran a bunch into the blackwater tank and then flushed and drained the black tank, I ran the pink RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank and then ran all the water taps, hot water, and cold water. I drained the fresh tank out and the hot water tank out and have them open at the moment. I have all the water taps open at the moment as well. I will go out and close all the stuff up today. OR, should I leave them open?
I put stabilizer in the gas. Anything else that needs to be done?

Antifreeze is good. Its all new from when I did the new water pump.
I did a search and saw where someone had suggested steel wool in the exhaust pipe... WHY??
Dryer sheets around the interior... WHY??

Anything else??

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: winterizing....

I probably wasnt clear the way I wrote it. I filled up the water tank and drained a bunch into the black tank. And then drained both.
Yep, I re-read what I had writtenbefore, and I didnt say I drained the fresh water back out. But I did. THEN I put the RV antifreeze in and ran it through all the water lines.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I did a search and saw where someone had suggested steel wool in the exhaust pipe... WHY??
That's easy - rodents trying to get out of the weather and make a home to store their goodies don't want to chew through it. You don't want to start up in the spring with a muffler full of hay and nuts. (I found maple seeds and bird feeder spillings inside the cover of my under-hood fuse box yesterday.)

I'd never heard the exhaust pipe use, but we have used steel wool to keep critters from following antenna cables into radio shelters. The will eat plastic, rubber, etc, but apparently don't like to chew on metal.

Another choice might be aluminum wool like pot scrubbers from the grocery store, since steel wool rusts and burns more easily.

Quote:
Dryer sheets around the interior... WHY??
Don't know this one, but I assume it's the same - they might hate the smell.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You're process with the anti-freeze is ok, but in an RV they would bypass the fresh water tank and the water heater, just drain them both, use the pump to pull the stuff straight from the bottle through the pipes etc... You only need about a gallon doing it this way. Make sure you not only drain that fresh tank, but rinse & sanitize it before using it again. That pink stuff doesn't taste very good!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Skoolie

I'm not entirely sure if there is a bypass valve in there or not. I will have to crawl under the bed and have a look. The old man was one of those Jack of all trades and master of none type of guy. He did awesome work on some things and others you look at and ask WTF was he thinking???

What am I looking for?

IYAAYAS