Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
wiring diagrams

I have a 1998 3800 DT466e International with no tail lights. My question is there more than one fuse panel? I found one in the dash and the fuses look fine (circuit breaker type) I do have directional and break lights. I'm thinking its a wiring issue. Would anyone have a diagram that they would share? I'm a little lost at this point.
Thanks for any help

pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
Have you taken a multimeter and verified you're not getting power to the tail lights? I had a tail light go out, took out the bulb, noticed corrosion, checked with the multimeter (power=yes), replaced the bulb and it worked. My guess is you have a bad component (bulb, socket, ground, wire)
I just noticed after posting, you said you have signal and brake lights but no "tail" lights. Do you mean the lights work when you press on the brake pedal, but do not work when the headlights are on/running lights? Or are you referring to the ID/clearance lights?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
Hi tinyhousebus
Yes I have break lights when the break pedal is pushed and turn signal when the lever is pulled. I don't have any lights when the light switch is pulled on the dash and have no clearance lights either. I do have lights in the directional lights as runniing lights tho.
pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 77
If your bus is anything like mine (I think a safe assumption), I have a white wire that runs the length of my bus that powers the ID/clearance lights (when the running/headlight switch is active). (Note: the wire is yellow a couple inches from each light) If you think your fuse panel looks fine, my only suggestion would be to take out the running/headlight switch assembly and check the connections. There is a possibility the switch itself could be bad too. As I mentioned before, poking around with a multimeter will probably tell you more than anyone here can. As to wiring diagrams, you could try and order a service manual from a dealer/shop but that will probably cost you $200-$300. You could also try borrowing one from a school/shop. Bluebird provides theirs online, but Thomas does not. Good luck