Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I just finished up adding the fins and headlights from a 1957 T-Bird to a 2003 Retro bird. I restored a set of '57 T-Bird hub caps using "wrap" and while the results were great, the wrap cost over $350 with enough material to so two sets of caps.. Even at $7000 I'll bet when all is said and done you'll be looking at ten grand. Ten grand was what was being charged to "wood" wrap a brand new trolley bus they had in the shop.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I just finished up adding the fins and headlights from a 1957 T-Bird to a 2003 Retro bird. I restored a set of '57 T-Bird hub caps using "wrap" and while the results were great, the wrap cost over $350 with enough material to so two sets of caps.. Even at $7000 I'll bet when all is said and done you'll be looking at ten grand. Ten grand was what was being charged to "wood" wrap a brand new trolley bus they had in the shop.
Jack

Does it look as good close up?

As far as the 7000 goes if you click the link I think that they are talking about doing their own rental "charter" buses which is an option that they are adding (which they have done before?) My guess is that is a bare bones price with a whole lot of up sell to arrive at a final price. One thing that immediately comes to mind would be a charge to remove the wrap after the charter.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Yup.

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:04 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
wonder how long it is good for, like paint. and how good the existing paint has to be, prep.
As long as it's sanded smooth and not rusty, paint condition doesn't matter. I've heard of people using it instead of paint, and it's not far off - a painter buddy of mine used to complain about how modern paint is pretty much spraying plastic. As long as the wrap is attached, the metal under it is sealed and getting a chip in it will be the same as a chip on paint if it's bare metal underneath.

On longevity, can't say. Should last a few years if you use a decent heavy vinyl. But I think I'd rather have a very lightweight wood-look wrap than a couple hundred pounds of wood screwed into the side of the bus. That wood, being exposed to the elements as well as possible driving in the rain, will need to be reworked periodically, will hold moisture against the metal unless it's gapped off the side, and will collect crap behind it if it is gapped off. But better than the wrap would be to paint it on, but painting a wood-look on the bus would be challenging to say the least. It would probably be easier to paint it plaid than to get a realistic wood look. At least plaid would be a repeating pattern of straight lines.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote