Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Wood Preservatives for Subfloor

Hi all,

I’ve been somewhat concerned about my wood subfloor, with regard to rot.

The subfloor will be near-impossible to access and repair once the floors are completed.

Research into the topic of wood preservatives has lead me into a few directions:

1: Copper based preservatives - Not suitable due to the tendency to accelerate rust and general degredation of the metals.

2: Creosote - Generally smelly stuff, and maybe carcinogenic.

3: Paraffin Wax - Difficult to impregnate the wood, and might melt out during really hot days. Also might turn the bus into a candle if a fire were to start. (Though it would have to already be pretty bad to get that far)

4: (This one seems like it would work) A boron based preservative. Like Bora-care (<——That’s a link). This one is described as being used to prevent the fungus that causes dry-rot, as well as insects. And doesn’t seem to have a time-based expiration. It’s expensive though, so people online talk about making your own using something like Tim-Bor (<——That’s a link), and mixing it with ethylene glycol (anti-freeze), as a form of home brew, and spraying it directly on the wood. This mixture absorbs into the wood, all the way to the core, making it much more resistant to all forms of damage to the wood (it’s even a fire retardant).

Obviously I have no experience with these products, but the internet describes them as safe for indoor use.

Has anyone else come up with other ways of preserving their subfloor or wooden frame?

Hope all is well,
-Slowpoke

Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borate, boron, preserve, rot, subfloor