Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Year round bus conversion, bathroom, hitch and such update

Well, I have made a descision finally

I've been wafling about putting in a full water system with underbus tanks, water pumps, lines that can handle city pressure, shower, perminant toilet, etc...

I have opted for a simpler system. This is partially due to cheapness but mostly for convienence. I installed a pump sink with an onboard 5 gallon grey tank and aprox 5 gallon fresh tank (fillable from the outside) already. This came from my tent trailer. It works great. But I did like the idea of a toilet on the bus. It just seems that it would make life alot easier! But I want to use the bus in the winter and thought the idea of not using the water/waste system becuase of very cold temperatures (-30 degrees celcius) was defeating the purpose.

So I am going with a high quality porti potti and a seperate fresh/grey system in the bathroom. It will be similar to the system in the kitchen. Again with a pump sink, gravity grey water tank under counter behind doors and a much larger fresh water tank (aprox 15-20 gallons) that I picked up at a junk yard. The toilet will have a bench that it sits on for normal house toilet height that will contain the fresh water tank undernieth/inside. This will also fill from the outside. The benifit of this system is that I do not have to worry about heating outside tanks, lose clearance and about $1000. I know it's got it's downsides, but it will be great come winter. This way I can use the bus the same way both summer and winter. Woohoo snowboarding, snowshoeing and winter hiking. I like winter, and summer.

I will build an enclosed bathroom with lighting and such, so that it can be used and not embaress anyone. I think this should work out well. Side benifit is that if one water system packs it in on a trip, I have the other as a backup.

I am planing on a couple freshwater tanks on the roof, hooked up to a hose and sprayer for washing dogs, bikes and people. If I plan it right the water should be heated or at least warmed by the heat. This is obviously a summer thing.

For the roof I am planning a deck similar to the Jacucuzzi bus (leemer20(?)). I was very impressed with the strength and simplicity.

The stereo will be a fairly large car stereo amp running 4 6by9's and a 15"sub that I have kicking around. This way I can just plug in a disk man, ipod, or a laptop and have tunes.

I am still working on the LED lights. There is a company called LUMEX that will give you free LED samples if your total order is under $20. This is for the LED's themselves, not premade replacment units. Although they are pretty cool. Search festoon led lights and you'll see. The power savings are incredible.

I picked up a couple of captains chairs and swiveling bases for a good price and will be installing at least the one for the driver before we leave. The other may have to wait until we are in Halifax due to the floorspace required.

I still need to connect the propane system and install the cabinet under the bus and build a hitch. Hey, where did those of you who tow wire your lights? Did you run them up the the front of the bus and tie them in there or did you tie in off the rear lights? I need to hook up a simple 4 connector for towing my 2004 pace american cargo trailer.

Oh yah, and paint.

My bus has it's new engine and high output alternator and I am picking it up at the end of the week. Can't wait. I have a trip to BC in a few weeks (biking, climbing, family) and a trip to Drumheller in 2 weeks. Gotta get it finished.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks - Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

i hooked my trailer light plug to the wire harness at the rear of the bus. my wire harness was inside the drivers side wall running through a tunnell at the top. My bus has a tunnell that runs between the wall and the cieling on both sides.

you'll prob need an adapter gizomo since the bus' turn signal and brake light are not the same bulb.

i have a 1991 ward body 72 pass
Old 04-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

re: wiring

how did you access the wiring harness in the "tunnel"?

-Richard
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

my tunell is just held on by screws. It comes off in small sections the entire length of the bus.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Bus Nut

tunnel

Where is this tunnel located? Is this the compartment that also houses the hot water lines from the engine to the rear heater? Or is it located in the ceiling? Thanks for the info - Richard