Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Yellow colored bus driving through Cali etc

So I have read so much here and there on the laws surrounding the yellow color. I understand that each state has its own rules with California seeming to be the strictest.
However.... what I am hoping that someone can confirm without a doubt is whether the color is a problem for registration within the state only or for actually driving within the state. I have no problem registering my yellow bus where I live in Mexico but I plan to be driving through and around California and several other states each summer. Before I go through the trouble of painting another color... I could be just as happy with a fresh coat of school bus yellow and make it easy.

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post
So I have read so much here and there on the laws surrounding the yellow color. I understand that each state has its own rules with California seeming to be the strictest.
However.... what I am hoping that someone can confirm without a doubt is whether the color is a problem for registration within the state only or for actually driving within the state. I have no problem registering my yellow bus where I live in Mexico but I plan to be driving through and around California and several other states each summer. Before I go through the trouble of painting another color... I could be just as happy with a fresh coat of school bus yellow and make it easy.
I would suggest sending an email to the California Highway Patrol and asking them directly. I am thinking if your bus is registered and legal in Mexico, and is able to be brought into the U.S. then California should honor federal DOT rules and permissions. However as you noted, each state does its own thing which can make things a bit confusing sometimes...

If it were ME doing it, I would paint that thing anything but school bus yellow , and remove any of the stop signs etc... that indicate it is a school bus before even looking at California. Since you will be travelling in the desert southwest, I suggest a nice white paint that reflects the heat well...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I would suggest sending an email to the California Highway Patrol and asking them directly. I am thinking if your bus is registered and legal in Mexico, and is able to be brought into the U.S. then California should honor federal DOT rules and permissions. However as you noted, each state does its own thing which can make things a bit confusing sometimes...

If it were ME doing it, I would paint that thing anything but school bus yellow , and remove any of the stop signs etc... that indicate it is a school bus before even looking at California. Since you will be travelling in the desert southwest, I suggest a nice white paint that reflects the heat well...
Absolutely white, at least the roof, for desert and California. But elastomeric coating, not just regular paint on top.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
flat white rustoleum reflects the most heat. elastomeric collects allot of dirt.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
flat white rustoleum reflects the most heat. elastomeric collects allot of dirt.
Can you put Rust-Oleum on top of the elastomeric? Because the not leaking part is pretty critical.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are a couple of clear finishes for elastomeric paint that help keep the grime down.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #7
Skoolie

Coming from California, unless it is a school bus used by a school (private or public) it CANNOT be School Bus Yellow. PERIOD. Was glad I left as I did NOT want to paint my bus (I like the yellow). Has to have all school markings removed, red lights and stop sign included. I visit often and have not had trouble yet but I'm a Nervous Nelly every time I visit as I stick out like a sore thumb. As long as the bus looks the part though n you don't do anything to draw attention you should be able to drive under the radar.
Or just avoid the state and go through AZ or Texas.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
Coming from California, unless it is a school bus used by a school (private or public) it CANNOT be School Bus Yellow. PERIOD. Was glad I left as I did NOT want to paint my bus (I like the yellow). Has to have all school markings removed, red lights and stop sign included. I visit often and have not had trouble yet but I'm a Nervous Nelly every time I visit as I stick out like a sore thumb. As long as the bus looks the part though n you don't do anything to draw attention you should be able to drive under the radar.
Or just avoid the state and go through AZ or Texas.
I've been toying with potential paint schemes and colors and I was sort of leaning towards a Black and Yellow theme... Basically a fresh coat of school bus yellow and shine up the chrome accents on the front of the bus and then once you get past the drivers area it would like it was coming off to show the black exterior underneath in a shiny metallic or something else eye catching and perhaps painting the bumper rails yellow for accent on the black. However... I plan to have this bus mostly in the Nevada area with trips to LA area in California. Would the yellow front end give me a hard time if I were to remove the stop sign and school bus markings as I planned to anyway?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SmartBusRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:28 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBusRob View Post
I've been toying with potential paint schemes and colors and I was sort of leaning towards a Black and Yellow theme... Basically a fresh coat of school bus yellow and shine up the chrome accents on the front of the bus and then once you get past the drivers area it would like it was coming off to show the black exterior underneath in a shiny metallic or something else eye catching and perhaps painting the bumper rails yellow for accent on the black. However... I plan to have this bus mostly in the Nevada area with trips to LA area in California. Would the yellow front end give me a hard time if I were to remove the stop sign and school bus markings as I planned to anyway?

In a word, yes.

Not in every state, but is some states even a hint of School Bus Yellow could get you a ticket.

This is not an area governed by your home state rules. Many states demand a color change. Some say no more than 25% yellow, others don't specify an amount of yellow, so assume it to be zero.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Hmm that sucks lol

SmartBusRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
I just got inspected by Ohio DOT and they didn't even want the old yellow behind the light bulbs inside the flasher light housing.
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy Yeti View Post
I just got inspected by Ohio DOT and they didn't even want the old yellow behind the light bulbs inside the flasher light housing.
interesting because there are plenty of yellow busses in ohio.... and also the law only spells out church busses to be specific.. i dont suppose the DOT officer pointed out the statute he used to stop you?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
He did not. Totally caught me off guard but I noticed he went straight to his cruiser and came back after a long 10 minutes to tell me that it's not a problem. Like everything else, it's who you are dealing with I guess.
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote