Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: Chevrolet of Canada
Chassis: Chevrolet Apache 30 (stock)
Engine: 6 banger, 4 speed.
Rated Cap: 15
yikes...ohman! help LOL

hey folks...see'n as most of you have done a bus er 2, thot I'd ask for some opinions....Seems while tracing some wiring, I "opened a new can of worms" while the exterior of the bus is some what rust free.(considering shes 46 yrs old) well I pulled the drivers inside panel off and discovered rust rust rust I'm surprised theres no paint or some kind of rust proofing, from the factory.(mind you, the steel is good an heavy) Now...
1) do I pull the whole interior and sand and rust proof it.
2) do I pretent I never seen a thing.

If you answered #1 can you suggest a good rust converter and/or paint.
If you answered #2 can you suggest how to keep the rust from "leaking between the seams" from condensation etc.

bare in mind...there are small panels inside around the windows have been formed and bent around the exterior openings.
and the roof has been riveted. except for the end caps.

anyone else had this kind of trouble?

*good news though....the interior lights work! hahahaha

1 of a kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: yikes...ohman! help LOL

POR-15 is amazing stuff though you will pay for it. Knock off what loose rust you can and then shoot or roll it on. The rust will be done then and there....for good.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

A rule of thumb on rust that I was raised on: one thousandth inch of iron equals one-eighth inch of rust.

That's old ship--though probably the same for buses.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1961
Coachwork: Chevrolet of Canada
Chassis: Chevrolet Apache 30 (stock)
Engine: 6 banger, 4 speed.
Rated Cap: 15

G'day...Hey thanks for replies, I will reply to all in 1 fellswoop. (makes it easier), altho the bus is 46 years old, the body is incredibly sturdy...the metal is really thick, i dont know "gauges" but I tried to rebend a rocker panel, by hand, I darn near gave myself a hernia! It didnt even budge!. I think this bus will outlast any of us. But yanno the saying, "if you're gonna do something...do it right" and frankly this bus is so ODD I'd like to see her kicken around another 46 years, atleast...
I probably will strip what I can from the inside and use a wire brush on the grinder, then try the POR15 that you have recommended. (see'n as my step-dad was so gung ho about checking the plugs as soon as we unhooked it, HE CAN HELP) lol...and besides that, I need to service the roll down windows anyways. so might as well do it right. ok. best get back to work.

thanks again
1 of a kind is offline   Reply With Quote