Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Haha I'm guilty of that wheel well chop! Oh well line of sight below the front cap was more important. Attachment 60992

Cutting down the wheel well a little bit like you did there can be just fine. It all depends on the geometry of the FIXED components that put a LIMIT on wheel travel and whether the cut down still leaves room for a disintegrating tire to flop around inside the well rather than jamming and creating a pulling force to the side.
Our front wells are way larger than necessary for safety and will probably get flattened out on the top like yours did.
It's the ones that make their decision by how much clearance there is while the suspension is holding things and nothing is moving. Or that super thing materials over the cutout area with no consideration of the need to keep a wildly flopping tread separation even isolated OUTSIDE.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I had a good laugh the other day when I saw what is mostly a run of the mill (nice, but not exactly luxurious) conversion of one of those Sprinter vans for... get this... $155,000. I wonder if this fool has any idea what someone can do with $155k. For example, you can buy a home in a picturesque village in Italy and make yourself one heck of a cozy pad for much less than half that.
I saw one during our bus search that they wanted $50k for a bus that "had been on the road trouble free for a year and was 'turn key' ready" to go.

It was a "hippie bus" with cots and hammocks for beds, sheets for curtains (whole sheets), a bucket for a toilet.....literally just one of those camping store seats that snaps on a bucket, power was one of those "generators" that you charge up and it was charged "through the cigar lighter while driving". The "crew" of EIGHT was shown posing with it with San Fran bay in the background.
I nearly had a coffee covered computer screen when I saw the price.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 09-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I love how people pick apart YouTube and FaceBook Skoolie builds without knowing any of the forethought of the builder, and then brag aboout doing the same thing they thought was stupid. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
Old 09-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I love how people pick apart YouTube and FaceBook Skoolie builds without knowing any of the forethought of the builder, and then brag aboout doing the same thing they thought was stupid. Isn't that the definition of insanity?
There was forethought involved in those? News to me.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3 L Powerstroke
I've seen plenty of Boomers with terrible ideas as well, lets not lump all of me into one age group
texastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastj View Post
I've seen plenty of Boomers with terrible ideas as well, lets not lump all of me into one age group
There is a big difference. The boomers are not putting their bad ideas on silly YouTube videos so others can make the same stupid mistakes. And most boomers absolutely hate ukelele music.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3 L Powerstroke
That is true... They are all over the Facebook Skoolie groups -_- I do get a kick out of some of them !
texastj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Hmmmmmm
THIS "boomer" has three YouTube channels and while I had an FB account, I haven't touched that worthless platform in over 4 years.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Hmmmmmm
THIS "boomer" has three YouTube channels and while I had an FB account, I haven't touched that worthless platform in over 4 years.
I haven't touched FB in more than 5 years. And I bet you're not a fan of ukelele music either. <Cue Tiny Tim tip-toeing through the tulips as he dances to the tune of my 50 cal rounds...>
Old 09-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
<Cue Tiny Tim tip-toeing through the tulips as he dances to the tune of my 50 cal rounds...>

I need to stop reading such posts while drinking coffee......it's not good for the keyboard or the screen.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Setra
Chassis: S 417
Engine: 12.7 L
Rated Cap: 56
Just started my build. not a schoolie. Heard a lot of great things about this forum. After wading through threads like this , Not my thing. I don't have time for this! All the best to those who are actually building. Signing out!
Jimot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:58 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
...I can't wait until the fad wears off and fresh buses come down in price, and the fools are left with a bus they paid 30-50k for worth hardly scrap value...
I honestly truly believe the gods are fiendishly devious... but in a good way.
After all, they give me millennials in Sprinter vans describing their conversions.
After the first couple-three seconds, they *always* proudly tell about the primary point of the entire twenty minutes of close-ups:
* "...and this is our utensils drawer, where we keep all our utensils when we are not using our utensils..."
...allowing me to skip ahead to the other primary point, the sky-light over the bed "...so we can watch the stars!".
I am vastly amused.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
I had a good laugh the other day when I saw what is mostly a run of the mill (nice, but not exactly luxurious) conversion of one of those Sprinter vans for... get this... $155,000. I wonder if this fool has any idea what someone can do with $155k. For example, you can buy a home in a picturesque village in Italy and make yourself one heck of a cozy pad for much less than half that.

I'm pretty sure there are abandoned villages in Italy you could buy for $155k...
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimot View Post
Just started my build. not a schoolie. Heard a lot of great things about this forum. After wading through threads like this , Not my thing. I don't have time for this! All the best to those who are actually building. Signing out!
It's called banter, and it helps people to get through the challenges of a conversion. You'll find out about that soon enough.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDPerkins View Post
I'm pretty sure there are abandoned villages in Italy you could buy for $155k...
Some are even free. $155k would more than cover the restoration and remodeling, the housewarming party and an RV to tour Europe before you come back to the village to unwind between road trips and eventually retire before you croak and get your rear buried with the leftover pasta.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Just caught up on this thread, and agree with nearly everything here. I've been alternately amused, frustrated, and sometimes terrified by the choices people make on their DIY RVs.

The major part of this conversation that I disagree with is the Millennial bashing. As another poster pointed out, poor choices aren't monopolized by one age group. The first of video I saw with the knives and cast iron pans hanging directly behind the driver's head was by a couple of cute old white-hairs. They had a fantastic bus that was riddled with cringe-worthy safety hazards. I wholeheartedly agree that we should point out all the crazy dangerous s*** people put in their buses, have a few laughs over it, and try to stop others from repeating it. But please don't attribute it all to one group, because bad decisions are universal.

Millennials turn 40 this year and make up nearly a quarter of the US population, having surpassed the Boomers at some point as the largest generation group. I'm near the older part of the group. Like me, I'm guessing that the other young whippersnappers here just shrug off the Millennial negativity. I'm also guessing that it scares some people away who could really benefit from guidance. Would you join a group that called you and your entire generation stupid?
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Just caught up on this thread, and agree with nearly everything here. I've been alternately amused, frustrated, and sometimes terrified by the choices people make on their DIY RVs.

The major part of this conversation that I disagree with is the Millennial bashing. As another poster pointed out, poor choices aren't monopolized by one age group. The first of video I saw with the knives and cast iron pans hanging directly behind the driver's head was by a couple of cute old white-hairs. They had a fantastic bus that was riddled with cringe-worthy safety hazards. I wholeheartedly agree that we should point out all the crazy dangerous s*** people put in their buses, have a few laughs over it, and try to stop others from repeating it. But please don't attribute it all to one group, because bad decisions are universal.

Millennials turn 40 this year and make up nearly a quarter of the US population, having surpassed the Boomers at some point as the largest generation group. I'm near the older part of the group. Like me, I'm guessing that the other young whippersnappers here just shrug off the Millennial negativity. I'm also guessing that it scares some people away who could really benefit from guidance. Would you join a group that called you and your entire generation stupid?
I didn't say anything about all millennials, I mentioned the stupid millennials posting their dumb videos on YouTube with some pretty horrible ideasa. I haven't seen any boomer skoolie videos yet, but I am sure there are a few out there. The vast majority are not from boomers. And if there are easily offended snowflakes who leave in a drama queen huff and decide not to participate, rather than taking cues from the posts, and lessons on what to avoid doing on their skoolies, that's their problem, not mine. Darwin will take care of those.

<If only stupidity were painful, the world would be a much better place...>