Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 177
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
YouTube videos

If I see another braindead skoolie conversion video made by millennials dimwits, focused on stupid selfies, motormouthing and ukelele music instead of the project itself, and filled with dumbsh*t ideas like putting propane tanks in a rear open wireframe rack hanging BELOW the bottom of the bus... No wonder Chuck Darwin is having so much fun with COVID...

Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 669
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
...And why insurance companies are dropping conversions left and right. They had enough of the stupidity.
__________________
--Simon


Found my Bus at AAAbus in Phx!
Bus'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 310
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus'n it View Post
...and why insurance companies are dropping conversions left and right. They had enough of the stupidity.
^^^^^^^^^
this
__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
HamSkoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 310
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
And how about all the ladders up to the roof decks that don't have any railing or a toe catcher "railing" just high enough to leave you dangling by a leg when you go over the side?
Or the ladders sticking way out on the side?
A couple days ago I saw an exhaust pipe for a heater going straight out the side about 18".
Let's not forget about all the illegal non DOT or SAE lighting on the outsides.
And those "composting toilets" DO NOT COMPOST they just collect a bag of human feces mixed with some coconut, peat moss, or sawdust.
Cutting down wheel wells because "the suspension never goes that far up" rather than using the physical limits of travel.
And my pet peeve.....magnet strips holding the kitchen knives with a clear line to the driver or passenger travel seating positions followed by "and they never fall off when we're driving".....ARRRRGGGGHHHHH
__________________
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we can now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing.
The United States Marines, America's 911 force -- 6531, 3521 '79-'99
Retired mech (auto/aviation), Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 177
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
You can't fix stupid... but you can munch on popcorn while ol' Chuckie Darwin catches up to them.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,196
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
You can't fix stupid... but you can munch on popcorn while ol' Chuckie Darwin catches up to them.
Yes, you can, but it comes with 25 to life.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 552
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
And my pet peeve.....magnet strips holding the kitchen knives with a clear line to the driver or passenger travel seating positions followed by "and they never fall off when we're driving".....ARRRRGGGGHHHHH
I saw one where they had an unsecured Ikea sofa and they had bothered to put SEAT BELTS on it so their CHILDREN could be belted in while driving. UH, What??
__________________
Mary
Maximalist Minibus Channel on YouTube
https://MaxMini.TV
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,981
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I've got to find this Youtube video again - dude had the kitchen knives on a magnetic block mounted about three feet directly behind the driver's head, but even better had an oversized cast iron frying pan hanging right behind the passenger's head. I'm honestly not sure which one I'd rather have hitting me in an accident.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 177
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I've got to find this Youtube video again - dude had the kitchen knives on a magnetic block mounted about three feet directly behind the driver's head, but even better had an oversized cast iron frying pan hanging right behind the passenger's head. I'm honestly not sure which one I'd rather have hitting me in an accident.
I am. Better them than me. I love how Darwin sets things up. Incredible amount of patience waiting for the obvious outcome.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
s2mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NM USA KD6WJG
Posts: 795
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Hell, most of them won't run long enough to chlorinate the gene pool.
__________________
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
” George Carlin
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,313
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
How about the one where they hang the 20lb propane tank from a bungee cord inside the cabin? Genius!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:40 AM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 985
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
One of my favorite's. And this was from a custom rv shop bragging about their quality reno work! image.jpg
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:45 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 985
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
And how about all the ladders up to the roof decks that don't have any railing or a toe catcher "railing" just high enough to leave you dangling by a leg when you go over the side?
Or the ladders sticking way out on the side?
A couple days ago I saw an exhaust pipe for a heater going straight out the side about 18".
Let's not forget about all the illegal non DOT or SAE lighting on the outsides.
And those "composting toilets" DO NOT COMPOST they just collect a bag of human feces mixed with some coconut, peat moss, or sawdust.
Cutting down wheel wells because "the suspension never goes that far up" rather than using the physical limits of travel.
And my pet peeve.....magnet strips holding the kitchen knives with a clear line to the driver or passenger travel seating positions followed by "and they never fall off when we're driving".....ARRRRGGGGHHHHH
Haha I'm guilty of that wheel well chop! Oh well line of sight below the front cap was more important. image.jpg
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:07 AM   #14
Skoolie
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 177
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
One of my favorite's. And this was from a custom rv shop bragging about their quality reno work! Attachment 60991
Are they always that stupid or was that a special day?
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:15 AM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 985
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Are they always that stupid or was that a special day?
It looks like standard fare with this shop, I watched a bunch of their videos and it was much the same.
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,323
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah skoolies and youtube rarely pair well together.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #17
Bus Nut
 
bigskypc50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: MONTANA
Posts: 416
Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Totally agree with everything said here. I can't wait until the fad wears off and fresh buses come down in price, and the fools are left with a bus they paid 30-50k for worth hardly scrap value. I have seen a ton of conversions for sale so maybe the fad is already fading.
__________________
My Build Thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sk...ran-16474.html
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:00 AM   #18
Bus Nut
 
T-Bolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 316
Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
I like the skoolie tour videos. So many great ideas come from those as well as lots of things not to do. But I agree the "how to" videos by millennials are painful to watch.
__________________
https://eternitybus.com
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #19
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 115
Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Totally agree with everything said here. I can't wait until the fad wears off and fresh buses come down in price, and the fools are left with a bus they paid 30-50k for worth hardly scrap value. I have seen a ton of conversions for sale so maybe the fad is already fading.

Yup. I just came to this point in life, and it's stoopid what prices are.

Just want a van cutaway shorty for myself and 2 pups who won't be around to see the finished build...
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #20
Skoolie
 
Zork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: MA
Posts: 177
Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Totally agree with everything said here. I can't wait until the fad wears off and fresh buses come down in price, and the fools are left with a bus they paid 30-50k for worth hardly scrap value. I have seen a ton of conversions for sale so maybe the fad is already fading.
I had a good laugh the other day when I saw what is mostly a run of the mill (nice, but not exactly luxurious) conversion of one of those Sprinter vans for... get this... $155,000. I wonder if this fool has any idea what someone can do with $155k. For example, you can buy a home in a picturesque village in Italy and make yourself one heck of a cozy pad for much less than half that.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.