Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Zachary Dash Bus Journey

Hello Skoolie Family!

My name is Zachary Dash, a 23 year old from Texas. After graduating from Texas A&M last August, I now have a year of the "real world" under my belt. To save on money, I have been living at my mother's house, and commuting an hour to work everyday. Now, one year later, I have saved up $15,000 to invest in my future living situations.

This leaves me with three options:

1) Rent an Apartment: The initial reaction for all young kids after graduation is to jump right into an apartment

Advantages:
It is easy, quick, and simple process.

Disadvantages:
Throwing money away. I simply cannot wrap my mind about throwing $1000/month (high cost of living in my area) away each month.

2) Buy a Tiny House

Advantages:
If done right, you can own your house in less than 2 years with no mortgage.

Disadvantages:
Upfront costs.
Applying for a loan.
Finding land!

3) RV/Skoolie

Advantages:
Low up front costs - Many buses can be found for as low as $1,500 on craigslist.
You can travel the world!

Disadvantages:
Finding a place to park. Monthly rent at local RV parks cost anyone from $300-$600. Also, many HOA's do now allow these to sit on your properties.
Learning how to design, build, and make everything inside.

Through the past 6 months, my mother and I have been reading a lot about minimalist living (http://www.becomingminimalist.com), and getting the most out of your life by living with less. I do not need much. And actually, I do not want much. I want a life filled with purpose, not objects. The quickest way to become rich is to redefine the word.

My end goal a year from now would be to live on less that $1000/month with the ability to travel the world as I please. Therefore, I am asking you, Skoolie Nation, to come along with me on my ride. I will document everything from prospecting potential bus/van/rv buys, to learning electrical, insulation, and squatting locations. This is an exciting adventure, and would love for you all to come along with me during my journey.

ZacharyDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Zachary Dash

welcome....follow your dreams...less is more, pick up an acre or 3 in the county/country and put in a small septic tank (dump station) water and an electric pole like for construction, 30/50 amp plug and when you travel have elec company turn off power
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote