Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
$100,- bus in Portland, Oregon

Hi!

I bought a 1981 International S1700 / Bluebird with MV404 gasoline engine, automatic transmission, power steering and air brakes sight-unseen for $250 -- knowing it was a gamble. When I went to fetch it, the carburetor flooded and a few other things seemed discouraging and I left it there. The main problem isn't the condition of the bus, but the foolish fact that I bought a vehicle sight-unseen 600 miles from my home! (Stupid, stupid.... )

The body is in great shape, but dirty. Tires are full of air, but basically junk. It built pressure for the brakes fine. The radiator is surprisingly clean inside -- tubes not clogged. Has nasty exhaust leak up front. 11 rows of seats -- bus is around 36 feet long. A couple of inches over 6' height in center isle.

I'll give it to you for $ 100 if you live in the Portland, Oregon, area and are a competent carburetor mechanic. Or have access to a big tow truck. Convince me that you have solid competence to move the bus from the sellers yard, and I will accept $ 100,- for the keys, bill-of-sale and title from seller to me, and a bill-of-sale from me to you. The bus is in the First Student yard on Hogan Road in Gresham.

I'll be looking for a hobby with a shorter commute!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Skoolie

If the thing's been sitting for a while, the float valve may be stuck open.
Give the carb a couple gentle taps with a screwdriver handle or equivalent.....stuck float may loosen up if that's the problem.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Thank you -- yes, that might work. It has indeed been sitting a long time, but it was started and reported to run smoothly just three weeks ago. If I didn't live so far away, it would be no problem at all. I have friends in Corvallis -- just 100 miles away -- (who actually bought it on my behalf) who may take charge of it. We're still brainstorming options.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote