Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #1

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chev 366 V-8 truck
Rated Cap: 12
1978 BB 60 pass convert to RV. Need eng parts

Greetings to all fellow bus lovers: In 2006 JUL. I acquired a 1978 Blue Bird 60 passenger skoolie that had been [very roughly] converrted into an RV. The engine is a Chevy truck 366 CID V-8 [supposedly a re-built long block].
When I got the bus is did NOT have any kind of air filter canister to hold an air filter, just a naked carb. My criteria for getting school buses includes back road travel & an air filter is paramont. IMPORTANT:. The 2 barrel Rochester Carbarater DOES NOT have a central post nor a hole in which a central post can be put to use the air filter canister types that slip over the post and are held in place by a wing nut. This carb is set up to have a cansiter which sets down over the throat of the carb and has a horizontal screw at the bottom of the canister which is turned to clamp on to the outside of the carb throat. There is a notch in the throat at the rear of the carb about 20-35 degrees CCW from horizontal dead center of the carb.
I believe this notch helps align the canister for correct positioning.
If you know of any used school bus or old truck wrecking or parts outfits that might have such a canister, please let me know. A couple of older mechanic guys that I have talked with conjecture that it might have had an oil bath air cleaner.
That is OK by me too. Just as long as I can get something to clearn the air. I live in the high mountain deserts of Utah & dust is a major problem. Although the engine is good, I do not want to run it until I can get an air filter on the engine.
If I can not run my engine, I can not take it for inspection and can not get it registered by use. Oh woe is me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for "listening" and happy bus trails. David 73 w 0 r m v .... LONG LIVE LINUX

eleskooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: 1978 BB 60 pass convert to RV. Need eng parts

I would just go to Kragen's or WallyWorld and check out the K & N selection. Take measurements with you and rig something up. It will breath 10x better and the filters are washable. If you have your heart set on the original air cleaner setup, I can't help.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote