Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER (pusher) for sale (WA State)

It's with a great deal of reluctance that I post my bus for sale. I'm relocating to Nashville, TN and will not have a place for the bus or the time to work on it since I'll be traveling a lot for my new job. A conversion will have to be a future project for me.

There is a lot of information about the bus if you follow the "Illusion's SmugMug" link in my signature block, including lots of photos.

Here are the highlights:

- 1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER (rear engine pusher)
- Full sized 78 passenger, 13-window, flat nose transit style bus
- Caterpillar 3208 turbocharged engine rated at 250 horsepower
- Allison MT-643 automatic transmission
- Air brakes
- Air throttle
- Air ride seat (driver)
- Air operated entry door
- Air operated windshield wipers
- Under floor storage compartment (about the size of a king bed) accessed from both sides of the bus
- Road sanders ahead of the rear wheels; probably not really useful but interesting

This bus came from the Federal Way School District in Washington State. According to information given to me at the time of my purchase (6 NOV 06) the engine had been replaced about 8 years prior to sale; the original VT-225 Triple Nickle Cummins being swapped out for the new Cat 3208. It starts instantly. The bus barn also said that the hubometer on the right rear wheel was installed with the new engine to keep track of its mileage; it reads about 59,000 odd miles. I don't have any documentation to substantiate this; only the information given to me over the phone.

The rear end ratio appears to be about 4.44 according to the online calculators and the tires are 11R22.5 and in great condition. The bus has a nice easy cruise of 60 to 65 and is comfortable and quiet (with an empty interior).

I've stripped the seats out and also the interior ceiling panels as I wanted to get much better insulation in the ceiling (that all went to the dump and weighed just over 2,000 pounds). The headroom down the centerline of the bus is 6 feet. I've also taken up the passenger side rubber floor and the center aisleway rubber floor, the driver's side has yet to be done. Partly because I haven't removed the under seat bus heaters on that side of the bus yet.

Here are the "issues":

- The fuel gauge doesn't work
- The passenger side windshield wiper is not working; the air motor seems to be kaput
- There is a leak in a heater hose that runs from the engine compartment to the front of the bus. I think the leak is at the center under seat heater but I haven't chased the problem because I intended to remove the heaters and replace the hose (so problem solved). Right now the heater circuit is shut down with the valves located in the engine compartment for that purpose but that does mean there is no driver heat or defrost at the moment.

I don't know of any other problems and the bus seems to be in outstanding condition with no rust issues. I have not driven the bus extensively; I drove it home about 120 miles (mostly freeway) and it did fine and I've driven it often locally (anywhere from 20 to 40 miles) with no problems. I don't know any reason the bus couldn't (or wouldn't) make a long distance trip but I don't have first hand experience in that regard.

I may end up listing the bus on eBay but I thought I'd post it here first. I'll sell it here for $2500 which is the reserve I'd set on an eBay auction with a buy it now eBay price of $2800.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks...

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #2

Re: 1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER (pusher) for sale (WA State)

Les,
i dont know if you got my e-mail but is your other bus still for sale or just this one?

Best regards

Bernie
BernieAdamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Hi Bernie,

I didn't see your email; I just checked again but it hasn't come through.

Anyway, to answer your question...I'm not sure. I don't own the other bus anymore; one of the folks from the board here purchased it to live in after a relocation. I think they've taken a different path now and to the best of my knowledge the bus isn't being used. He offered the bus back to me a couple of weeks ago when I was considering making a fifth wheel hauler and needed a front engine bus rather than the rear engine I have now. And since, my plans have changed drastically.

We'll see if Demon doesn't drop in here and answer your question; if not I'll try and get a hold of him directly.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #4

Les,
please excuse my stupidity, i am Irish so i guess that helps , it was Demon i was e-mailing. I heard back from him once but have since sent a further two e-mails with no response . Thinking it was you, i asked if he could meet me in Portland...duh....no wonder i didn't hear back. Fingers crossed and again my apologies.
BernieAdamson is offline   Reply With Quote