Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Smile 1988 Carpenter, Factory High roof, 30ft, Manual trans, CA $3500

Skoolie for sale.

It's a 1988 Carpenter chassis, mid length 30ft bus with the 7.3 International diesel and a manual 5 speed trans. It runs fantastic, all the lights and electrical work, it's still in its original state with the seats and everything stock. It has only 144K miles as well.
It’s a 100% rust free California School Bus and is in excellent condition.
It has a super reliable drivetrain with easily obtainable parts, this engine is the same one in the Ford heavy duty trucks so parts are available locally. The trans is manual and bullet proof and allows for engine braking down steep grades.
It’s a factory high roof bus.
The interior height in the bus is 6'5" so no expensive roof raise is needed.
I have the clear title in my name so it's ready for the new owner.
It's being sold with local pick up only!

$3500 o.b.o.

The only reason I'm selling it is I ended up getting a 4x4 hightop diesel van.
My contact info is
sophiamaxine99@gmail.com
TXT 916-542-9398
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0812.jpg   IMG_0804.jpg   IMG_0806.jpg   IMG_0805.jpg   IMG_0807.jpg  

IMG_0808.jpg   IMG_0819.jpg   IMG_0816.jpg  

finallyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Wow.. Someone might be getting a VERY nice bus... Even with the need to double-check the factory welds during demo. Wish I were in the position to jump on this... I assume hydraulic brakes, as I don't see the yellow diamond shaped knob for air valve. I noticed the parking brake is a pull-up / down lever to the left of the driver's seat.

First time I've seen that arrangement to the left of the driver... Not sure whether that means it is an old-type cable arrangement or still some type of hydraulic actuator as used on Lucas-Girling brake systems. Seen this on a ton of GM buses in my school district as a kid, though. Anyone know what these levers are actually doing to set the parking brake?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Was your bus manufactured in Mitchell, IN or Richmond, IN? Reason being this: https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/people/injury.../carpenterbus/

Based on the rub rail locations of your bus, it looks like it was built in Mitchell and thus possibly has the defective weld problem.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

E-brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Wow.. Someone might be getting a VERY nice bus... Even with the need to double-check the factory welds during demo. Wish I were in the position to jump on this... I assume hydraulic brakes, as I don't see the yellow diamond shaped knob for air valve. I noticed the parking brake is a pull-up / down lever to the left of the driver's seat.

First time I've seen that arrangement to the left of the driver... Not sure whether that means it is an old-type cable arrangement or still some type of hydraulic actuator as used on Lucas-Girling brake systems. Seen this on a ton of GM buses in my school district as a kid, though. Anyone know what these levers are actually doing to set the parking brake?
The e-brake actuates a disk brake unit on the drive
shaft just behind the transmission output.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #5

I’m not sure which plant it was made in. But I knew of the potential cracks that could be found in the ceiling before I bought it.
But having been a welder/fabricator for 24 years and I’m 6’1” tall I had to have a high roof or do a roof raise. And in my opinion the structural integrity issues of cutting off the roof and raising it were far greater than a few minor cracks that need to be fixed.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfree View Post
I’m not sure which plant it was made in. But I knew of the potential cracks that could be found in the ceiling before I bought it.
But having been a welder/fabricator for 24 years and I’m 6’1” tall I had to have a high roof or do a roof raise. And in my opinion the structural integrity issues of cutting off the roof and raising it were far greater than a few minor cracks that need to be fixed.
I agree... To really do a conversion right, it is best to remove the interior metal skins, remove the floor coatings, check for rust, cracks and leaks, then spray foam insulation. I get that not everybody has the money or time to do all that, but it really is best if you plan on long-term, especially if you're boondocking.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its a mitchell bus, Wayne still had the richmond factory in 88.. (ever notice how the 94 and later richmond carpenters had waybe defrosters / heaters, and wayne driver-windows? )..
that bus is a CLASSIC that should also be listed on some vintage bus forums (facebook). someone out west may want it as it is.. if it were close to me I might be all over it.. (I own a 91 carpenter)
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
That brings up a good point ... where is it located?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

Bus is Sold!

My Skoolie is now in new hands and set to be an amazing revamp.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

The bus is SOLD!

Tags
7.3 idi, ford 7.3, high top, manual transmission, rust free