Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1988 Champion Eurocoach I'm looking at

Hey all

I know this isn't a skoolie, but it caught my eye, and it looks like it will do everything I need it to. I'm going to go give it a further inspection, but I otherwise couldn't find very much information about these other than them being built on a John Deere chassis. Does anybody know anything about these or have any other comments on it? Do you have any reasons as to why I shouldn't get this RV to renovate and full time in?

Thanks!

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/rvs/6070382866.html

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

Lokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
True, it's not a skoolie. If you'd like to rework an RV I'm sure people here will lend what knowledge applies to your build. Are you planning on stripping out the interior and insulating? Could be an interesting build.

Here's some reasons I wouldn't be interested in that vehicle. First it runs on gas. It has a big gas engine and a huge gas tank. Big gas tanks come with gas guzzling engines. Any gasoline vehicle produced with a 90 gallon gas tank is still going to get the industry average of somewhere over 300 miles per tank of fuel.
RVs in a crash look much different than a bus after a crash because of how they're built.

Then again, everything you need is already there. Also RVs are more socially acceptable than a converted bus. At the same time they aren't as durable as a bus. You would save a lot of money by already having the things you need in an RV.

It's your decision. Each to his own. I'd enjoy seeing a rebuild on an RV.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Personally, I'd walk away. Big gas engine = big fuel bills. Stick & staple construction = poor structural integrity.

A decent diesel bus will go 300,000 miles. A gas RV might be OK for 50K.

No comparison in my book unless you plan to park it and leave it in one spot.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Really good insights, thanks folks! The gas engine doesn't bother that much because I pretty much plan on parking it. I want to reduce my reliance on the grid, and you pretty much have to be on wheels to do that. I do have concerns about how an RV will hold up in the long term, however. Since I'll be living in this, I need it to hold up for the long term, and I don't want to feel like heavy winds are going to shed it to bits. An RV is more appealing to me in every regard except this one, but it's a pretty big thing to have reservations about. My goal was to be able to save on rent for a while to be able to search for and buy my 'dream bus' (ideally a modern Gillig low floor), and then move the expensive items from the RV over.

Do any of you have any experience with doing the RV thing long term? My goal would be to maybe do this for 3yrs MAX before I would have something I like more.

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That motorhome does look nice inside and would probably be fairly easy to make livable. Do you notice the waves in the sides of the motorhome exterior? It looks like the structural parts, wood, are partially gone. I think you'll be spending a lot of money fixing up a motorhome if you decide to go that way. I'm guessing that over your three year plan you'll spend a couple thousand keeping your motorhome dry and livable.

How about you take the money you would spend on that motorhome and get yourself a bus. The weather is just going to keep getting better so you've got all summer to get the bus insulated before winter gets here. It cuts three years out of your plan too.

You're buying mobile lodging either way, which to me means you're going to want to go places. Right now that fuel tank would be about $250 for a fill. Old motorhomes frequently have a lot of problems on a trip mostly from not being driven.

I just don't think the motorhome is worth it to slowly strip the usable parts for the bus conversion. Many people end up buying the tanks and things so they fit the bus well rather than trying to adapt motorhome parts. A free motorhome is a different story, and there seem to be free motorhomes just about everywhere.

Honestly it is uncomfortable living in a bus while converting it, because that's what I've done over the past 18 months. It's working out and because I live in the bus I'm often looking at how to take the next step in fixing up the bus. Sorry, I mean "van."
Old 04-03-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Your comments about the durability really drive the point home. I don't want to buy something just to replace it. While buying an RV would afford me the opportunity to get started a bit sooner, it isn't going to be my best long term decision for full timing. Thanks again for responding!