Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1988 Crown Supercoach in VA

Purchased 3 years ago with the hopes of converting this beauty into a cross country RV for the family. I ran out of both money and talent before making any headway, other than removing seats. I just moved her from my property to another location just this past Saturday and she purred the entire way. Everything worked properly aside from the right hand side windshield wiper, which was engaging intermittently. The rear heater seems to have a bearing issue has it made an awful, scratchy racket. The front heater and defroster worked well in the 40 degree weather.

She's got a couple of dings and scratches, but for a 34yo bus, I think she's in terrific shape overall. I'll include what I have for pics, but if you'd like more, please let me know. I won't be able to get them immediately, but I should be able to get more this weekend as needed.

6v71-TAC
Allison MT647
She's got right around 312,000 miles.

Not sure about posting pics so I put them in a gallery. I'll try to include a link.

Bus is located in Fredericksburg, VA.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums2380.html

I'd like to get 11,500 for the bus as she sits.

gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Had a few messages, but nothing working out yet. Bus is still available. Going to do a fresh oil change for potential new buyer with the appropriate Delo 100 - 40 weight.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Hang in there. A buyer will show up. As long is it isn't costing you storage you can afford to wait. I know that one #5605 and was on hand when they were being auctioned off. All were in good condition and kept in school bus certification until Alliance was forced by Kalifornia CARB Naz*'s to get rid of them, which they hated doing. Anyone in your part of the country will be interested for sure once the word gets out. Many positives in finding a Crown in such good condition on that side of the Continent already. Saves all that expense of driving them cross country don'tcha know. 2 axle 40ft is a good base to build on with the most interior space. Will make someone an exceptional base chassis/vehicle. The price is very fair and you'll do fine as long as you hang tough till the right buyer shows up. Work to get the word out on alternate media and sites. I'll spread the word too from here among my contacts.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 06:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Yeah, what CG said. Yours is probably the only crown for sale within 1000's of miles. If prospective East Coast buyers balk at your reasonable asking price, point out to them that driving one from California with today's diesel prices would cost between $1500 if they drove it themselves and $[insanely much] if they had someone bring it over.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Nice looking Crown. Your mileage is not excessive for a Crown as they can go well more than that with proper maintenance. Too bad you have to part with it. They are a fun bus to drive.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys. Crowns are fairly rare on the right coast. I searched for a few years and lucked into this one close to home. Wish I had the talent and the funs to start/finish the build out, but a new roof and two new ac systems have depleted my funds. She's currently being stored at my wife's school, which is kinda apropos. It's not a long term solution, but if I can keep the auto shop teacher in my good graces, he'll look the other way. Besides, as an artifact and industrial design study, it's amazing to look at.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:32 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I can't shake the feeling that I knew of this when you bought it. I seem to recall that 5605 was bought and ferried East by a Fire Fighter who subsequently had his job and location circumstances change so he couldn't keep the Crown. And then you were the lucky guy to pick it up.

I'm sure you'll have a buyer find you as well, but you need to keep it until that happens and don't lose your nerve and part with it just to get rid of it. That price today is somewhat low for the current Crown market and it fluctuates up and down slightly, but at higher prices, as do the number of buyers. The turbo 6-71 and Allison MT647 are the preferred in demand combination for those looking for an RV conversion that everyone can drive. Most desirable. Try to keep it and/or hang on till someone worthy of it shows up.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
I can't shake the feeling that I knew of this when you bought it. I seem to recall that 5605 was bought and ferried East by a Fire Fighter who subsequently had his job and location circumstances change so he couldn't keep the Crown. And then you were the lucky guy to pick it up.

I'm sure you'll have a buyer find you as well, but you need to keep it until that happens and don't lose your nerve and part with it just to get rid of it. That price today is somewhat low for the current Crown market and it fluctuates up and down slightly, but at higher prices, as do the number of buyers. The turbo 6-71 and Allison MT647 are the preferred in demand combination for those looking for an RV conversion that everyone can drive. Most desirable. Try to keep it and/or hang on till someone worthy of it shows up.
It's Mike, correct? We chatted quite a bit when I picked it up and you walked me through a number of things. I'd never driven a bus before buying and I was scared. And amazed by how well she drives and tracks. I appreciate the support of the Crown community. I track a lot of the user groups on FB and everyone is helpful and supportive. I'm in no rush to be free of her. Just looking for an east coast enthusiast.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Does this bus have air suspension and understorage?
What is the interior height in the center.

Thanks Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Johan, it's right around 6'2 down the middle. Maybe a hair more. Leaf spring suspension. Exterior storage is mostly the rear trunk, which is quite large. Currently the two spares are in the trunk instead of in the front right storage space where they'd normally be. At some point a blow off for the compressor was installed there, limiting the usable space there.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Thanks gastone, trunk space? Is this a mid engine bus?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:30 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Yes. Mid engine pancake 80 degree inline 6-71 turbocharged with an Allison MT647 4-spd with gear lockup. Manifestly normal Crown drive line for the vast majority of Crowns, meaning the mid engine configuration. There are differences in engines, Cummins, Detroits, and transmissions, 5-10spd Fuller manuals, and others also, and the Allison Autos. All this was up to the design specs of the original buyer and what they wanted for their fleets. Of course there have been after manufacturing mods to some where the transmissions were changed from manual to auto, usually. Engines weren't easily changed since the basic frame rails were different for the Cummins and Detroit's making it VERY difficult to do that swap.

The spring suspension on a Crown is a superior riding arrangement and will beat the ride quality on any other school bus. Spring suspension was again the default and had various options for partial air-ride on a per axle basis or full air-ride as an extra cost option. Not many of those around but they do exist.

One other little mentioned fact about Crowns is how solid and rattle free they are. A 50 year old Crown with 400K miles on it will be as tight and rattle free as it was when it was new. They are the quietest and most impressive vehicle on the road. The closest I can come for comparison is a Peterbuilt or Kenworth tractor and how they will last forever and still be as solid and rattle free as when new. Crowns are this good. The windows don't rattle, well maybe a little, occasionally one or two, and the body doesn't groan or shake, an occasional opening panel might get flaky with age and use, but easily dampened with rubber pads. But overall you can't tell the age of a Crown by how it sounds when driving down the road. They all sound the same, tight as when new. Try that with any of the other common school buses and I know it won't compare. Just ask any Crown owner you can find.

Any Crown is far superior in build quality, strength of materials, overall engineering, longevity, reliability, simplicity, and ease of repair when required. This is what makes them so legendary. A Crown kept in good repair will take you anywhere you want to go and bring you back with no problems en-route.

This particular Crown is a very good candidate for conversion because it is 40ft long with two axles for lower maintenance costs, like tires, and the 6-71 turbo gives about 265hp which it will keep up as it climbs to altitude in mountains. This is an extremely nice thing to have since the non-turbo will loose about 3% power per thousand feet in gain, and start to smoke black (too rich) as you gain altitude. They run fine and it doesn't hurt a thing, it just doesn't have the power it did at sea level, lack of oxygen that the turbo makes up for, and you go slower up hills.

I learned to love the turbo when I delivered a Crown with a 6-71 turbo to Boulder CO. Boy was that an eye opening experience. So I bought one for myself knowing I can take it anywhere and it will perform magnificently anywhere I'm likely to want to take it. I love mountains. Mine has a Fuller RoadRanger 10spd which I always prefer. I plan on making it into an Overdrive when I get the $cratch, to give more road speed, and match the Tandem which is also O.D. I find myself forgetting which one I'm driving sometimes and blowing shifts, the shift patterns are different, embarrassing, so it's easier to make the patterns match and remove the problem...

The Allison automatic is the cherry on top because with that anyone in a family can drive it just like a VERY BIG car or van. This makes it a no-brainer for someone looking for the perfect vehicle to build a conversion around.

Ask any Crown owner and they'll tell you the same thing, while driving in the drivers seat you really don't notice, or feel, the size of the bus. It's an extremely easy and natural driving bus and pure joy on the road. Easy around town as well with excellent visibility and close quarters handling.

Finding this great condition Crown already on the East Coast is a real miracle for the lucky buyer who won't have to come up with the fuel and other expenses to drive one all the way cross country. That can easily top $2500 today. The Turbo 6-71, Allison 4spd Auto, 40ft length, make this almost a Unicorn of a find for some lucky buyer on the East Coast. If ever you were interested in a Crown this is the one you should definitely be trying to buy. This combination of factors won't come along again anytime soon.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:45 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastone View Post
It's Mike, correct? We chatted quite a bit when I picked it up and you walked me through a number of things. I'd never driven a bus before buying and I was scared. And amazed by how well she drives and tracks. I appreciate the support of the Crown community. I track a lot of the user groups on FB and everyone is helpful and supportive. I'm in no rush to be free of her. Just looking for an east coast enthusiast.
Yep. I'm Mike. I remember our talks. So sorry for you having to part ways with it. But I understand how things can come to this today. I'm happy to hear you can take some time and wait around for the buyer who will grab it and take proper care of it.

Crowns are like Magic Wands, they pick their owners (wizards).

As the word spreads you'll be contacted and will find a good buyer. Don't be in a hurry to drop your price either. What you're asking is extremely fair today and the fact it's already on the East Coast is a huge savings for a buyer. Hang tough and know that there aren't any other Crowns around for that price anywhere, let alone on the East Coast already. Yours is in excellent condition and will bring top dollar when compared to the available Crowns we're seeing today. The really good ones are long gone. Yours is one of those good ones from a few years ago when they were much more plentiful and direct from a very good operator of Crowns who took excellent care of their fleet.

Keep me in the loop and when you do sell it and let me know their contact information, in case they don't contact me. Be sure to have the buyer contact me direct and I'll work with him like I did with you. He'll be part of the Crown Owners Fraternity. I like to keep track as best I can on where Crowns end up.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:14 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

So I’m in the market for a bus for my family to live and travel full time. I’ve been looking for a rear engine 8.3 Cummins, but I am intrigued by this bus. Makes me think of the gornicke family from the movie RV. We are actually a lot like them lol. My question is this, what about parts availability and finding someone to service this thing? I’m fairly mechanically inclined so I could likely do the maintenance on my own. Also, I intend to do a roof raise but feel I would get a lot of pushback for defiling the originality of this bus. Thoughts? I’m in Georgia by the way.
Bjorkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkinman View Post
My question is this, what about parts availability and finding someone to service this thing? I’m fairly mechanically inclined so I could likely do the maintenance on my own. Also, I intend to do a roof raise but feel I would get a lot of pushback for defiling the originality of this bus. Thoughts? I’m in Georgia by the way.
One of the nice things about a Crown bus like this is that they were built with standard (and common) Class 8 heavy truck parts...so they're still widely available. These are the same parts in a semi truck, so any decent truck parts store can provide parts and any truck repair shop can work on them. Now...you cannot walk into Napa and expect them to look up your bus by year and model, because Crown made buses to customer order specs, but I can take any part into our local Napa (which does carry heavy truck parts) and get a match.

As to that Detroit engine, they still make parts for them and they're pretty inexpensive actually. For example, a complete in-frame rebuild kit (I just looked up) is $1600.

The roof raise is a harder issue, not because of the pushback but because of the wet wall design in which the windows slide down into the wall. It can be done, and Josh Jackling (Crowned In Style on social media) did a roof raise. But even though I've got 2 Crowns now and have owned others...and I've done more skoolie roof raises than I can remember...I would decline a Crown roof raise job if asked.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:42 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Ross beat me to most of the things I was going to say, so I'll just agree with him. But to add some personal experience from someone in a similar situation to you:

I started converting a 40' single axle Crown for my family of 4 as a mechanically inclined, but otherwise woefully inexperienced bus builder. I'm now almost three years into it and feel like I could fix nearly anything on that thing with basic hand tools and my Detroit 2-stroke tune-up kit. I hope to keep it long enough to do an in-frame rebuild, which I plan to do myself. Not sure I'd feel as comfortable working on a more 'modern' and therefore complicated bus.

Also, I'm 6'2" (and 1/2", but who's counting?) and while the stock headroom limited my building options, I don't feel uncomfortable at all in there. Roof raise is definitely possible and a well done one like Crowned in Style or Trinity the Bus (also on YouTube and briefly on this forum with username 'Strandlife') should only earn respect, not pushback. But, like Ross alluded to, it wouldn't be as straightforward on a Crown as on a 'normal' bus.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 03:07 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

It looks like the crown may have found new owners. A nice couple came down from MD to take a tour and a test drive this afternoon. The bus fired right up and ran well. A deposit was placed and we hope to close the deal next weekend. I'm excited to see what they are able to do with the crown conversion, and glad that two aficionados are acquiring the bus.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:43 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I just love these Crown threads. Between Crown guy, Tejon, Flattracker, Ross and, I'm sure, countless others...its always entertaining and I never fail to learn something. The loyalty alone is impressive. If you buy a Crown or are looking at one to buy or...just have a question, there's never a shortage of people wanting to help out. Amazing
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

And she's gone. Congrats to the new owners. They picked up the bus on Saturday and drove her up to MD without issue.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:13 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Glad to hear that. Without issues, that's the mantra of most Crowns kept in moderately good condition. They will usually take you there and back with little drama. If there's anyway to have them contact me direct I'd like to keep in touch with them so they can ask me questions as they arise. Please forward this to them, Thanks. mikemcc2k@yahoo.com