Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

1991 Thomas RE

I just sold one of the four buses that is identical to this one. 1991 THOMAS RE 3208 1T7A3G900M1777488 - TheBusDealer.com - Auburn, Washington 98001

Since I didn't bring them in on trade I hadn't ever really looked closely at any of them.

They are all in a lot better shape than you would think a bus of this vintage and mileage would be.

They have obviously had very good preventative maintenance over the years. All of the glass is good, very little parking lot rash, and no rust.

They have Cat 3208T 210 HP engines and Allison MT643 transmissions.

Asking price is $4,000.00 per bus but that is jsut the asking price.

Let me know if you are interested in one of these buses or any of the many other buses we have in our inventory.

cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #2

Hello,

It was great to see you and doing business with you!
I made trip to my home safely. It drive really nice.
I like this bus a lot already.

Thank you!
lpwoo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: 3126b
Rated Cap: 69
Interested... a few questions.

We are interested in one of these! Tried calling to chat, but didn't get an answer... maybe after business hours. Anyway, we have more general questions, but here's a couple specifics:

- Is there any outside storage on these guys?
- What's the inside height (head room)?

Many thanks!
Keltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

These buses have not luggage compartments.

These buses do not have the extended headroom so the inside height is 74".
Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
I just sold one of the four buses that is identical to this one. 1991 THOMAS RE 3208 1T7A3G900M1777488 - TheBusDealer.com - Auburn, Washington 98001

Since I didn't bring them in on trade I hadn't ever really looked closely at any of them.

They are all in a lot better shape than you would think a bus of this vintage and mileage would be.

They have obviously had very good preventative maintenance over the years. All of the glass is good, very little parking lot rash, and no rust.

They have Cat 3208T 210 HP engines and Allison MT643 transmissions.

Asking price is $4,000.00 per bus but that is jsut the asking price.

Let me know if you are interested in one of these buses or any of the many other buses we have in our inventory.

Was hoping that these would be the Thomas West Coaster...........as this is right in that era.........in my opinion this is the Era when the Thomas was a very well built Coach: As they were competing directly with Crown......if you ever have the opportunity to grab any West Coaster's let me know. In particular the one that had the Tandem rear axle.........other than that nice Thomases...........and I believe the 3208T comes in right at 250HP as the naturally aspirated Cat is typically 210.....as well the CAT with the TA is usually rated at 300HP............
Attached Thumbnails
flx......jpg  
Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Skoolie

Wink

In particular the one that had the Tandem rear axle.........

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!
Tandem!!
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

These buses are not the Westcoaster models.

Most districts that could afford the Westcoaster would pay more to get the Crown.

As far as the 10-wheeler Westcoasters are concerned, I have only ever seen two. Both were owned by the Longview School District in Longview, WA.

Outside of those two I can't think of any other school district that ever purchased them.

By the time Longview purchased them all of the Eastern built bus body companies were producing the 40' two axle buses with 14-rows of seats. Most districts could not justify the cost of the extra axle for one more row of seats.

In much the same way, here in western WA the Type 'D' bus has reigned supreme since the '50's but does no more. As time has marched on the reimbursement cycle has gone from a high of 25-years for a heavy duty Type 'D' bus to 13-years for any full size Type 'C' or 'D' bus. It is hard for most districts to justify the cost of a Type 'D' bus when you can get a Type 'C' bus with one fewer row of seats for $20+K less. On a five bus purchase you would be able to purchase a sixth Type 'C' for the same $$$.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Totally get it. Most the West Coasters went to California............about 4 of them with the C8.3 and a couple with CATS came up about two months ago.........And yeah I looked at the photo's and knew right away they were not badged as West Coaster. I was in the midst of another purchase at the time, or I would have bought one of the West Coasters with the Cummins just to have one. Good Solid Bus...............

As to the rest agree. Transit style School Buses are vanishing: Incidentally I did just buy an 82 Crown out of the Wahkiakum School district. There last Crown I believe. Number 8............they may still have a Crown Super II though not sure...............
Attached Thumbnails
wahkiakum6.jpg   wahkiakum7.jpg   wahkiakum5.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I don't know much about the Westcoast ER but from what I gather they are solid. I prefer Thomas and have an opportunity to pick up a 8.3L ISC with Allison 3060 trans that was owned by a school and used as an activity bus (fairly low miles). is this is rare pick up I should take advantage of? Any info helps!

Thanks
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Bus Nut

You could do a hell of a lot worse...........that combination is a pretty staid and proven combination: Used in many staple and paste RV's..............that cost big bucks.......Drive trains used by Thomas for the most part are the same used by Blue Bird. Bad rap for the later Thomas was they arrived new already rusting. Should not be an issue for a dry climate Thomas.

I am a big proponent of the drive train that you mention: Not that usual in a school bus...........I like it.

My only caution would be that I personally have not had good luck with the computerized drive trains. When they do go bad it can be a horrible experience and difficult to trouble shoot. You can be left in limp mode for simply electrical issues. On the other hand as I said earlier they are everywhere and the combo in the bus you refer is has been used successfully in many many many applications.............I wish you luck. You won't be dissatisfied with that combo.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it!
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote