Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

1995 Blue Bird Commercial Bus

Bus is located at my home in Anderson, SC 29621 and also listed on Craigslist.
VIN: 1BAGKB7A7SF063349
I purchased a 1995 Blue Bird, 36 passenger bus, from Norfolk State University this past February. We had intentions of converting it into an RV, but plans have changed (wife ins't supporting the idea anymore) and we are relocating. This is a well maintained, low mileage bus, primarily used to transport students to events. I chose this bus for an RV because it is a commercial bus at home on the highway. Engine is an 8.3L Cummins and the transmission is automatic.
Before picking the bus up I had it checked out by West Service Center in Chesapeake Va. they had done previous maintenance work on this bus for Norfolk State. I had them replace the alternator with new, they replaced some fuel lines and air fittings, other minor items. They also installed a new main disconnect switch for the bus power. $2150 of work.
West Service Center also did about $4100 worth of work in March of 2010 when the bus had 109,500 miles. Turbo replacement was major repair, as well as some other minor repairs.
I have just had new air springs replaced on the rear locally. The originals were leaking and I didn't want the new owner concerned about driving the bus a long distance home. This was a $1500 job.
Has fresh oil and filter since purchase.
I have all the documents for the repairs.
It has a clean CarFax, though I cannot locate the document.
The bus is relatively rust free, but there is an unusual rust spot on the rear passenger side that I added a pic of. There is foam insulation in different areas on the body and it appears that water had collected and rusted the spot through. Nothing major but wanted to point it out.
There is some water damage to the upholstered ceiling area around the ceiling vent. This has not leaked since I have had it and can only conclude that the vent was left open at some point when it rained. Wasn't a problem for me since the ceiling would have been removed for conversion.
The air conditioning for the bus is all intact. It has however been bypassed and the engine is no longer driving it. I found when investigating the rear air springs that a hole had rubbed through a line for the system, so it wouldn't charge. This also wasn't a problem for my use since I would have used typical roof mounted RV systems. The original system could be service. Bypassing the system does make more power available from the engine.
The bus has a bathroom. However, the tank for this was steel and is rusted out. Its location was behind a rear set of wheels, bad location in my opinion. Would have relocated the bathroom anyway during conversion and installed a plastic tank.

Asking $10,900 phone or text 863-885-2799 Name is Tom

Bus isn't perfect, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus1.jpg   Bus2.jpg   Bus3.jpg   Bus5.jpg   Bus4.jpg  

Bus6.jpg   Bus7.jpg   Bus9.jpg  

frogmantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Wink Nice score!

You may have to do some patching on that rust spot. Be sure to grind it down to bare metal on both sides. Cancer can spread rapidly. If you get a chance, take a pressure washer to the entire underside.

Otherwise, nice score. Those seats should come out easily. Likewise, the overhead racks. You may be able to sell those items and recoup some of your expenses.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
You may have to do some patching on that rust spot. Be sure to grind it down to bare metal on both sides. Cancer can spread rapidly. If you get a chance, take a pressure washer to the entire underside.

Otherwise, nice score. Those seats should come out easily. Likewise, the overhead racks. You may be able to sell those items and recoup some of your expenses.
I think he's selling it, not converting it.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Do you happen to have a handle on what transmission is in the bus? I am guessing that it's an Allison MD3060, and that would be good news if it is. Also, the rear axle ratio would be interesting to know. Both pieces of information should be available on one of the dataplates on the bus.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #5

I appreciate the response guys. yes, I am selling. Dan, The rear ratio is a 4.44 if I remember correctly. It runs up to highway speed just fine. I have a GMC topkick with a 4.11 rear, manual transmission, and it tops out at 65-70 mph. There is a number on a cabin plate for the transmission. I searched online using that number and didn't have any luck crossing it to a model number. I need to crawl up under and look for an ID plate.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
keep it!! use it as a moving van... tell the wife to get on board.. she woiuld probably come around if you actually got her out on a road trip or two!..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #7

I like the idea Christopher. Sounds like you have been blessed with an understanding wife. )

Tags
blue bird, bus, bus conversions