Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
"go a million miles" isn't a warranty or anything but if properly maintained yes you could get a million miles out of one of these engines. The caveat is that it seems like every popular engine has an Achilles heel but they aren't secret so if you know it ahead of time you can either avoid or preventatively repair it. There's also more than just the engine to consider, there's also the transmission, cooling system, and if you get a newer model (god help you) an exhaust treatment system. These added complexities often act up first but can be so expensive they doom the rig before the engine itself is ready to retire which is unfortunate. What is fortunate is that most of us don't put on enough miles per year to ever wear out an engine. It's more likely to succumb to neglect than age.

Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd expect inframe rebuilds about every 400k +/-.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #23

Thanks for the info and good to know!
Just asking the obvious, but besides asking a mechanic to go check it out there isn't much I could do for research I assume? (Carfax for buses? haha)

I'm military up in NE and were on lockdown so I can't head down there myself, unfortunately... not that I would really know what I'm looking at, haha.

The most I've done is restore a muscle car with guidance from a mechanic friend of the family so I have a LOT of learning to do on this website. Which is exciting... but I didn't want to miss a bus with good bones.

Thanks guys!
philipewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

What is the likelihood of this making the drive to IL in as-is condition?
BumblingAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblingAlong View Post
What is the likelihood of this making the drive to IL in as-is condition?
Are you asking the seller directly?
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #26

Sold! To the gentleman with one post!
A great first post, if I do say so myself.
More updates coming soon.
Garaujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
This bus has a lot of we're looking for as far as engine placement, engine type, and transmission type (although we prefer a 36 foot bus)! But, we always steer clear of TC2000's because we know them to be too short as far as headroom is concerned. But, just out of curiosity (since lines of buses are made differently sometimes), what is the height of the ceiling inside the bus? We are looking for a bus that is 6'5" inside! Thank you!

Thanks for your interest, I have a guy who put down a deposit on it yesterday, and is traveling to come get it today.

You are mostly correct about headroom, this one is 74" (6'2"). I haven't personally seen anything taller. One thing I've noticed about these buses is the TC2000s walls are very plumb unlike many other platforms, which makes building square easier.

Best of luck to ya!
Ace Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Good morning, a gentleman put down a deposit yesterday and is coming to pick it up today. To answer your question, I was looking for a very specific pickup truck only.

Thanks for your interest! Good luck.

(I forgot to add quotes, this post was for EastCoastCB)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Good morning, the bus has been sold to a gentleman in Montana.

Regarding traveling (I think others should chime in on this too), I don't believe they're actually quarantining people. I've been through three states on major interstate freeways recently and no roadblocks or forced quarantining. If they were doing it it would be massively unconstitutional.

(I forgot to add quotes, this post was for user: BerryKiller)
Old 04-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Good morning, sold to a gentleman in Montana. Went quick. The condition of the engine will depend upon the users treatment. This specific bus is in great condition. If you can, search the nation far and wide for these models of buses with this drivetrain. They're the best!

(Forgot to add quotes, this post was for user: PhilipeWhite)
Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas FS65
Engine: Cat C7
Im so sad I missed this. Im struggling so hard to find a good bus for me and my kids to get out of an abusive relationship. Everything is beyond my financial means. I could have pulled this one off and would have made that drive in a heartbeat.
cmstrick654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
A roof raise is a big job, but a heck of a lot less complicated and expensive than an engine or tranny change.

My Blue Bird All American was like 6' 4" or 6' 6" to the bare metal floor so no roof raise needed for me. I did think about putting a turbo'd 3208 in it. Could of bought a brand-new rebuilt turbo'd 3208 at auction a few years back for less than $1000. After that I'd have to get that boat anchor home and in the bus. With the exhaust stuff and other tidbits I would of been at $5k, plus a whole lot of work (=time) and still had a stinky old 3208!

I love my bus,
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstrick654 View Post
Im so sad I missed this. Im struggling so hard to find a good bus for me and my kids to get out of an abusive relationship. Everything is beyond my financial means. I could have pulled this one off and would have made that drive in a heartbeat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	43472
In early March while driving through Washington state on a bus hunting trip I discovered 2x 2002 Bluebird All Americans at this scrap yard. Both were 8.3 Cummins and if I remember correctly just over 200k on the odometers. No significant body, glass damage or rust. Air ride, underbody storage, auto chains and auto sanders. I took them for a quick ride around the yard and both started well and shifted nicely. All that said I was looking for a front engine so I could build a garage in the back so I moved on. Yes I realize these are too far for you but the deals are out there. Asking price was $4000 and I'm sure they would move on that so don't be too discouraged and keep on looking.
Good luck and stay safe.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:41 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hi!

My wife and I have been hard at working with our skoolie conversion but family circumstances require us to sell at this point. We have been working on a 1999 International AmTran, rear engine, 3800 series. Diesel engine with 176k miles. We've put about $9k into it and are asking $5500 OBO. We have an RV solar panel kit ready to be installed. New driver's seat. Custom welding work done to replace the rusted out steps, patch around some of the wheel wells and create new window frames and cover the other areas. Starts right up and drives great. Clean title. Needs a little work to be road ready, but can easily be fixed up and driven to where ever you want to take it.

It's almost been completely gutted and is ready for you to start building. Located in the Cincinnati, OH area. Can be picked up locally or I can help arrange shipping. Let me know what questions you have or if you're interested!

Contact info:
zachcapra@gmail.com
7l3-4O8-2689
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: 60711284197__ADC769D9-3125-4F0E-A6DC-021732974080.JPG
Views: 53
Size: 559.7 KB
ID: 43191 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_2143.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 558.7 KB
ID: 43192 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_2151.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 567.0 KB
ID: 43193 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_2154.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 597.2 KB
ID: 43194 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_2209.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 627.4 KB
ID: 43195
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas FS65
Engine: Cat C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Attachment 43472
In early March while driving through Washington state on a bus hunting trip I discovered 2x 2002 Bluebird All Americans at this scrap yard. Both were 8.3 Cummins and if I remember correctly just over 200k on the odometers. No significant body, glass damage or rust. Air ride, underbody storage, auto chains and auto sanders. I took them for a quick ride around the yard and both started well and shifted nicely. All that said I was looking for a front engine so I could build a garage in the back so I moved on. Yes I realize these are too far for you but the deals are out there. Asking price was $4000 and I'm sure they would move on that so don't be too discouraged and keep on looking.
Good luck and stay safe.
Thanks. I’m looking and trying as best as I can
cmstrick654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #36

Is this us of our still available? I'm in NC. The links for the pics wouldn't open
Thx... Joe
Plyshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Wilder View Post
Good morning, sold to a gentleman in Montana. Went quick. The condition of the engine will depend upon the users treatment. This specific bus is in great condition. If you can, search the nation far and wide for these models of buses with this drivetrain. They're the best!

(Forgot to add quotes, this post was for user: PhilipeWhite)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plyshocky View Post
Is this us of our still available? I'm in NC. The links for the pics wouldn't open
Thx... Joe
there ya go.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote