Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1996 Bluebird TC2000 8.3L Cummins diesel for sale

Good afternoon fellow skoolie brothers and sisters!

Up for sale is a partially converted, 40ft long, 1996 Bluebird TC2000 school bus with a very strong, reliable, rear-mounted 8.3L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine w/338,173 miles on it (these engines go for a million miles, literally), Allison 5 speed transmission w/economy mode, and an air brakes system. It has a 100 gallon diesel fuel tank (currently FULL with fuel stabilizer added), and 2 huge 8D starting batteries with a kill switch. The engine bay is dry with no leaks of any sort. Behind the engine bay is a 5000lb rated tow receiver with adjustable tow hitch, and is wired for external trailer lights (comes with magnetic towing brake/turn signal trailer lights). The tires and wheels are in excellent condition with plenty of tread left. There is absolutely no rust anywhere! It is registered in California until April 2021 as a motorhome (no need for CDL or air brakes endorsement).
The inside was partially converted by previous owner. It has been roughly/partially converted to have one queen sized mattress frame in the back, three twin sized mattress frames (bunks) in the rear midsection, a main storage area/bathroom installation area in the front midsection, and a kitchenette with cubby for a refrigerator in the front area. The very front area has storage compartments over each wheel well, that can be used to be two separate couches/beds. The floor has wood-grain print linoleum (durable) all throughout the bus. The bus has a lot of storage inside, in addition to four huge under bus luggage compartments. Also under the bus is a unique traction system; it has two tanks (one in front of each rear tire) filled with volcanic sand that can be dumped in front of each rear tire in case of icy roads. The dump switch is located on the driver panel. For further details, contact me.

I lived in it for 10 months, then moved to NM from CA towing my Toyota pickup behind me the whole way. This bus is a champ and has so much power and potential for a finished RV conversion. I'm asking $5k (well worth it). I also have another skoolie (not for sale) that I've been converting for the last 2 years, so I have much knowledge regarding the condition of these buses.

I will trade for a 1991-1994 Toyota pickup 22re 4wd.

The bus is located in Los Lunas, NM. Pictures can be found on my Craigslist ad here:
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/r...108322410.html

Please text, call or email me if you have any questions (calls preferred). Serious inquires only please:
925-594-0609

Skoolie, schoolbus, conversion, van, RV, camper, project, tow hitch, trailer, commercial vehicle, motorhome, burning man, camping, bus, cross-country, Winnebago, caravan, recreational vehicle, Coachella, lightning in a bottle, festival, concert, reliable, allegro, Shasta, CDL, boondock, solar, composting toilet, torque, horse power, horsepower, road trip, cross country, tow bar, mad max, tractor, toy hauler, coach
Attached Thumbnails
Capture+_2020-04-14-11-32-11.png   Capture+_2020-04-14-11-35-01.png   Capture+_2020-04-14-15-23-59.png  

Ace Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
An 8.3 mechanical cummins in an RE with an md3060 for 5k? This will be sold quickly. Well, it would be under normal times. Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I hear ya. Tis indeed a solid platform. If ya know anybody who's looking, even in these times, send em my way. Price is negotiable.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

PRICE UPDATE: $4500

Make me an offer!
Old 04-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Stop tempting me!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: RE Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Wilder View Post
PRICE UPDATE: $4500

Make me an offer!
This bus has a lot of we're looking for as far as engine placement, engine type, and transmission type (although we prefer a 36 foot bus)! But, we always steer clear of TC2000's because we know them to be too short as far as headroom is concerned. But, just out of curiosity (since lines of buses are made differently sometimes), what is the height of the ceiling inside the bus? We are looking for a bus that is 6'5" inside! Thank you!
shelbyfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyfricke View Post
This bus has a lot of we're looking for as far as engine placement, engine type, and transmission type! But, we always steer clear of TC2000's because we know them to be too short (we also would prefer a 36 foot bus). But, just out of curiosity (since lines of buses are made differently sometimes), what is the height of the ceiling inside the bus? Thank you!
TC's aren't all one length.
They go up to 40 feet. This one's a forty footer with the high headroom option.

The TC1000 is a shorter version of the TC. But this one above isn't a TC1000, its a TC2000.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
TC's aren't all one length.
They go up to 40 feet. This one's a forty footer with the high headroom option.

The TC1000 is a shorter version of the TC. But this one above isn't a TC1000, its a TC2000.
Good to know about the 40 foot TC2000's having more headroom! Since we normally don't even ask about 40 foot buses, it makes sense that we hadn't learned that yet. I accidentally put the parenthesis in the wrong part of my statement. What I meant to say has been edited above.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Good to know about the 40 foot TC2000's having more headroom! Since we normally don't even ask about 40 foot buses, it makes sense that we hadn't learned that yet. I accidentally put the parenthesis in the wrong part of my statement. What I meant to say has been edited above.
Buses have THOUSANDS of options when ordering. Look at window line to determine headroom. TC's and every other bus could be ordered in standard or high headroom.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Buses have THOUSANDS of options when ordering. Look at window line to determine headroom. TC's and every other bus could be ordered in standard or high headroom.
Cool beans! Thank you! That's good to know! =)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Stop tempting me!

Lol. I'd rather have a skoolie converter buy this awesome rig. A lot of these Craigslist buyers want to gut it for it's engine or use it for storage.😕
Old 04-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Wilder View Post
Lol. I'd rather have a skoolie converter buy this awesome rig. A lot of these Craigslist buyers want to gut it for it's engine or use it for storage.😕
I have been itching to pull that trigger for too many years - I need to either just do it or give it up and move on with my life!
Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I sure wish I had $4500 burning a hole in my pocket. I'd stick this in my side yard and hope the city left me be.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I can't believe this is still for sale.

Honestly, if height was that huge to me, I'd buy this and do a roof raise. A roof raise is way easier to do then it is to find a 6ct md3060 40 foot RE bus.

If I had the time to go out and inspect, I'd be on my way to arizona.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

Honestly, if height was that huge to me, I'd buy this and do a roof raise. A roof raise is way easier to do then it is to find a 6ct md3060 40 foot RE bus.

Agreed. However for most people this is just about the worst possible time to be spending money with all the uncertainty right now regarding the economy and the job situation for the rest of the year.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

This definitely has us considering a roof raise!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #17
Bus Geek

OP- anything else besides a Yota you'd trade for?
Old 04-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #18

I'm in El Paso. If I could come up there without being quarantine, I would be all over it.
BerryKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
This definitely has us considering a roof raise!
Seriously consider it.

The engine/trans options on this bus is more rare then your height requirement.

And with a roof raise, you won't have to settle for 6'6" or anything else. You could bring it to 7' and make yourself even more comfortable.

But don't get me wrong. Roof raises aren't changing a light bulb easy. It's dirty and time consuming work. You'll also need to buy tools that you likely don't have. But several people on here have done it and documented doing it. So you should be able to follow their lead, ask them questions, and get it done.

If you're capable, and an inspection checks out, this thing is a unicorn that a lot on the forum search for.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #20

Engine Mileage

Hey Guys! First post ever....

My wife and I wanna join the skoolie club and based on the posts I've read here, this seems like a great deal!

Has the engine been overhauled lately?

Should I be worried about the mileage? I've read in some places that engines go a million miles and in others that its a myth and 300k is the max without a major rebuild?

Thanks for any help and guidance!

-Philipe
philipewhite is offline   Reply With Quote