Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I was going to suggest checking the engine computer for the hours. It tracks that. But.. you'd have to have Cummins INSITE to read it out... and then I remembered you'd said these are mechanical engines. So much for that idea.

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Somebody ought to snag these up! Most of the people I see here arent willing to pay much for a bus. Too bad...you get what you pay for.

I paid $5500 for mine and would do it again tomorrow!
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Somebody ought to snag these up! Most of the people I see here arent willing to pay much for a bus. Too bad...you get what you pay for.

I agree 100%.

These are the cream of the crop, and some of the cleanest, rust free I have ever seen.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post

Its not that some of us are not willing,its just a tad out of our current price range. Now if it was closer to 3k it would be a different matter. Right now my budget is around 6k. Throw in a set of tires, a full service, title and tags, not to mention the cost to get from Il. to Co., and then the fuel and cost to drive it back to Il. You've pretty much spent all a person like me has to spend on our initial purchase. It has pretty much everything I'm looking for in a bus too. Just not too sure about the wheel chair lift door.
KnJadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Totally understood. Just dont buy a bus for $1200, with a dinky engine and low rear gears and be upset that it wont do 60mph or pull a hill at 30mph. [Not meaning you specifically.]

If you are wanting a highway cruiser, this is what you'll spend.....give or take a few exceptional deals.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

We are looking for a highway cruiser and plan to do some living in the mountains, so yeah it would be darn near perfect. Just not in the cards right now. Going to have to keep looking for that great deal I know. Its not that we are not likely to end up paying that much for the right bus. But I am stuck to a very tight budget for the build and might have to do a bit of searching to find one we can afford. I know what I want in my bus, and won't settle for anything that doesn't have my basics. Just have to find the one that has it all and in our price range.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnJadventures View Post
Just have to find the one that has it all and in our price range.
Or as in my case, wait for the budget to catch up to the bus prices. We spent our bus budget on a home this summer, so now I get to build up the bus savings again for a year or two.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
Or as in my case, wait for the budget to catch up to the bus prices. We spent our bus budget on a home this summer, so now I get to build up the bus savings again for a year or two.
I decided I wanted to full-time live in a bus back in 1996. Took me till now to actually have the bus! My first attempt ended with a huge stack of code violation letters and a lawsuit.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Didn't want to make it sound like these buses are not worth the asking price. I'd be taking a look at them closer if I had the money. Okay, if I could get Kristi to "modify" my budget. Just not good timing.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

I paid more and, in some ways, got a little less... I'm sorely tempted to go buy one of these and swap its air ride onto mine. But I see there's a shortage of people to whom I could re-sell when I was done, even at a reasonably reduced price!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Charles, I apologize if you mentioned this but are both buses equipped with a wheelchair door/lift?
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I appreciate the attention these post have gotten. I would strongly suggest anyone about to start a conversion to spend as much as possoble on a good platform. For every extra thousand you spend upfront towards a nicer bus, you save 3-4k in future maintenance.
For example, it would take more than $2,000 to make a $3,000 used bus as nice as a $5,000 used bus. That is a fact. If you care anything about long term economics or traveling without fear of costly breakdowns, modify your budget to bias initial bus cost higher than saving a few bucks. Dont compromise on things like getting the right powetrian and rust. Rust is literally the worst. It never stops. A rusty bus is never a good deal unless youre paying less than scrap price for it. And the wrong (cat, electronic, etc) engine could cost you thousands so fast your head will spin. Between me and my company, Ive owned over 3 dozen school buses and this is what I have deduced. Good deals exist but more and more people know what is good and those good buses almost never go for too cheap. You always seem to get what you pay for one way or another.
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #33
Bus Nut

And yes, the two 37' buses both have wc lifts.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Do you have financing available? I would. No seriously I am debating getting married just for the wedding gifts (both cash and easily liquidate-able) to buy it. As best as I can tell I don't think there is an organization that would give me a lone for a bus to turn into a motorhome. If it is still available when I have $6k I will be knocking on your door.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
As best as I can tell I don't think there is an organization that would give me a lone for a bus to turn into a motorhome.
You're right, there probably isn't. That sounds like the domain of personal or signature loans. They might ask what you intend to do with the money just to be sure it's not startup capital for a drug running operation or other obviously illegal activity, but that kind of loan depends almost exclusively on your credit scores and not on what you'll do with the money. You could even get a personal loan just for a vacation (but that would be a bad idea). Could also get a cash-out loan against another vehicle you already own, if there's equity available there.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I got $80 cash back from Discover when I bought my bus. Sorta made up for some of the auction fees, which weren't much.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #37
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
Hey Charles, do you mind if I share your contact info with a few people? I'm in Denver as well and I own JeffCo #9880. After driving it to Burning Man and back, all my friends suddenly want a bus, lol!
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Not at all!
My number is 3039311904
Old 09-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #39

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
I appreciate the attention these post have gotten. I would strongly suggest anyone about to start a conversion to spend as much as possoble on a good platform. For every extra thousand you spend upfront towards a nicer bus, you save 3-4k in future maintenance.
For example, it would take more than $2,000 to make a $3,000 used bus as nice as a $5,000 used bus. That is a fact. If you care anything about long term economics or traveling without fear of costly breakdowns, modify your budget to bias initial bus cost higher than saving a few bucks. Dont compromise on things like getting the right powetrian and rust. Rust is literally the worst. It never stops. A rusty bus is never a good deal unless youre paying less than scrap price for it. And the wrong (cat, electronic, etc) engine could cost you thousands so fast your head will spin. Between me and my company, Ive owned over 3 dozen school buses and this is what I have deduced. Good deals exist but more and more people know what is good and those good buses almost never go for too cheap. You always seem to get what you pay for one way or another.

Werd x 10!!!!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #40

Thumbs up VERY interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Not at all!
My number is 3039311904

Hey Charles,

I texted this number, let me know if you prefer email or to talk on the phone! Pretty please & thank you!

--Megan
BrenMegFurthermore is offline   Reply With Quote