Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

1999 bluebird T1000 mid size beauty-photos see link at end

1999 Bluebird 25ft flat-nose school bus/rv conversion. SUPER CLEAN GOOD STRONG RUNNER! 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel runs good and strong, with no leaks. Adjustable air ride seat, and brand new water pump and thermostat. New Allison transmission completely replaced 20,000 miles ago and just recently serviced. New front wheel bearings, new brakes and brand new tires all around with two spares included. Originally purchased from school district, so some maintenance records are available. Extremely clean inside and out, one of the cleanest buses I have seen! The bus was in the stages of being turned into an RV and has custom cupboards, shelves and a fold out couch/bed as well as a dining table that lays down to make an extra sleeping space. Complete with blackout curtains on steel curtain rods and magnetic window reflectors as well as a full length magnetic curtain for the passenger door. Propane stove top and sink installed. Brand new custom stereo system installed very recently with Bluetooth and USB connections that has it's own battery and it is PA ready. And it THUMPS!! The handicap lift has been kept intact on the back of the bus and can lift up to 800 lbs and works great! Insulated ceiling is a nice upgrade on this rig and provides some soundproofing as well. All the seats in the pictures are being stored to keep out of the rain and are available as well. This is a 25,000 lb GVWR bus, the heaviest short bus you can get. The body is a T1000 model with a T2000 chassis. With a little over 200,000 miles, the well respected Cummins engine is just beginning to break in. Asking $15,000. This is a rare bus, possible partial trade for 26 ft U-haul considered.....(http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/24v.html)
https://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/4801596192.html

cheybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I'm going to rip on you like I'd rip on any forum user anywhere, selling or not. Paragraphs please? That blob is a mess to read. I got 4 lines in and stopped reading.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

Thanks Jazty, good point. If i could figure out how to edit the post, I surely would. Any suggestions?
cheybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheybear View Post
Thanks Jazty, good point. If i could figure out how to edit the post, I surely would. Any suggestions?
New software makes an edit after so many hours not "doable"

If you want copy and paste it and then modify so there are paragraphs and pm me after you post it say 5th down

I will move and replace original for you and then clean this up for you
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Like the 1000 had one...............what I like most is that they typically came with a 3.54 rear axle ratio and would cruise highway speed nicely and quietly...........they're a nice little bus...........I especially like the 12 valve as it was so friendly to simple mods that would up the 160 HP these little birds came with................I never cared for the 19.5 inch rims.............but better than most skoolies from the aspect of running gear............they'll do the highway fine and the drive trains are exceptional and long lived........Most skoolies come of the line with axle ratio's too numerically high............and at highway speeds that can put a lot of strain on engine, tranny and rear end..........in my opinion 3.54 I wouldn't mind a 30 ft. tc2000 or All American with that axle ratio and about 65 more Horse.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 AM   #6

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
With a little over 200,000 miles, the well respected Cummins engine is just beginning to break in.
Just so you know, that statement is a personal pet peeve of mine. Usually I flag every ad when I see it. Typically someone selling a MBZ or VW with a broken odometer, sunroof, radio, door locks, etc. "Just beginning to break" in is a B.S. statement when it comes to school buses. Are you saying this is a million mile motor?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
Bus Nut

What it says to me is I can pretty much discount virtually everything said...........I see too many 5.9's thrashed at 150K to ever accept that at 200K it's just being broke in..........that's simply preposterous......

I didn't even want to begin to get into the ad.............Cause it's pretty off the hook on it's face. It's America. Anyone can ask anything for what they have. And to keep it simple................15K ? This bus wouldn't even make my top 100.............

But for a schoolie the TC1000 was a pleasing surprise...........I wish all School buses had that Gearing...........especially with the automatic 4 speeds...........just plain fun to drive
Old 01-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Not to jump on any sort of wagons that are banded together here, but EVERY motor I've ever seen is broken in by 10,000 miles:
  • Crosshatch in pistons no longer perfectly sharp
  • Rings match the cylinder profile, and the motor has stopped burning oil due to gaps
  • Milling shavings and other debris eliminated from oiling system
  • No catastrophic failures

It's more of a question regarding if they're worn out by 100,000 miles or not. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Just so you know, that statement is a personal pet peeve of mine. Usually I flag every ad when I see it. Typically someone selling a MBZ or VW with a broken odometer, sunroof, radio, door locks, etc. "Just beginning to break" in is a B.S. statement when it comes to school buses. Are you saying this is a million mile motor?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I suppose the "qualifier" would be "every engine I've ever seen". Personally Heavy Duty diesel engines at 10K miles could be said to be just barely broken in and I'd have no problems with it: There are also many heavy duty diesel engines that use pre-start oil pumps and eliminate damage due to an absence of lubricant at start up................but clearly in the matter at hand: Specific to the 5.9L Cummins is simply ridiculous for any one to accept this engine is just getting broken in at 200K. When selling a bus, motor coach, the idea would be to lead a potential buyer to trust and believe that as the Seller I am knowledgeable: This statement has the opposite effect. In my mind.

I haven't torn apart that many engines and of course even the ones I have torn apart might show more the abuse and neglect of the owner/driver than any particular design flaw: But in the matter at hand the statement is false on its face. This TC had 138k on it when I bought it.............It ran beautifully.........I can't say it ran as new. But had I received a New Bus and it ran as this one did I would have believed it:
Attached Thumbnails
tc1000.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #10

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I was not trying to threadcrap. It just get very irritating when I see this over and over when someone is selling a diesel. I bought a VW Rabbit diesel from a buddy with 250k miles. I was telling him about my little snit when reading this statement on craigslist. He told me it was true. Really I said. The car you are selling me has a blown head gasket. I guess this wasn't one of the cars that is just broken in at 250k miles. IT IS JUST BROKEN!!!

I did see a Benz with 875,000 miles on it. It belonged to one of my insurance agents. It was a 1986 300 SDL. It had the original engine and transmission. It was also owned by a crazy German. He had a notebook that had every penny he spent on the car. Every half quart of oil, gallon of diesel, every windshield wiper was noted. Oil was changed every 3000 miles, etc. You get the point. No broken odometer, sunroof, radio, etc.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote