Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L6
Rated Cap: 78
Unhappy 2001 BlueBird 40 Foot, 133K miles For Sale

Hello Skoolie Fam !

It is with a heavy heart that I have to disengage from project ElkoSkoolie and sell our 2001 BB 40 Foot Transit Style Bus. I had started a thread 2 years ago when we started our project and purchased the bus, unfortunately life events are forcing us to immediately move...

While perhaps sentimental, I'd prefer to sell it to a member here, knowing it's going to a good home. It was a heck of a good find when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

The TLDR; is that we're selling this Bus for $5000 firm. The details are as follows:

• Bus is a 2001 BlueBird 84 Passenger Bus, with storage compartments and a 90 Gallon Fuel Tank, with a Cummins ISB 5.9 Engine
• Bus is equipped with the Allison 2100/2200 Transmission, 5 speed, with gearing that supports up to 75 MPH (you could go faster, but RPMs would significantly reduce your MPG)
o Verified that, we drove at 70MPH turning around 2250 RPM on flat roads. Bus was still pulling hard at that speed, but didn’t feel like stressing it or driving it any faster than necessary
• When driven at a more reasonable 65MPH, I observed 10 miles/gallon, which is again likely due to the OD transmission and gearing
• Bus was fully serviced at Rocket City (AJ is awesome) in Alabama, prior to being driven to my friend’s farm
o Service guy was super cool, he comp’d me the transmission code clearing and we drove for 2 hours while he was plugged into the computer to verify it was all good, he was a Skoolie guy, in addition to owning the shop.
o The transmission does NOT like having it’s battery voltage low (Allison 2000 series, 2200 I believe)– to that end, we purchased a solar trickle charger, and just installed a brand new battery. Old battery was 1000CCA, new battery I think is 1200 or 1400 CCA
o
• All gauges functional
• The mechanic at the school district (Brian Stoval, Limestone County School District) stated that while the ODO was replaced (apparently known to have a high failure rate, the speedo package), they believe the mileage is accurate at 133,743 from when I bought it. I put 250 miles on it since, and as mentioned had the full service done
• Bus VIN can be verified on BlueBird’s website: 1BAAKCPA61F099656 (https://en.vindecoder.pl/1BAAKCPA61F099656)
• Pictures are available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...l_?usp=sharing

I started and ran the engine for 30 minutes 4 weeks ago , after I replaced the solar trickle charger and put a new battery in.

I did discover that the alarm for one of the sunroofs (the toggle I believe) is stuck open, so it will buzz (loudly). In researching, I could just disable the buzzer or take a voltmeter and figure out which of the 2 is the culprit and either fix ($20 plastic piece) or simply crimp the wires together. Too busy trying to move, so I’ll pass that on to whomever buys it.

Aside from that, it will need tires soon on the rears. According to Brian @ Lime County, he figured safely it had 5000 miles left, so with my mileage I put on there, should be good for transporting reasonably within the U.S. or Canada (No Alaska Trips, you’re on your own there, LOL)

The driver’s seat bounces too much, the latch that locks it in needs to be fixed, but is otherwise functional and is air ride, as are the brakes. No issues airing up, fast idle works. We disabled the heater and shut the coolant valve to the rear heater at the school when purchased (Brian did that for us). It currently has about 1/3 of a tank of Diesel from the T/A at the GA border.

Since the seats have been removed, it’s essentially a blank canvas on a very sound platform that’s ready for whatever. No broken glass on the vehicle, all parts functional and working. It’s parked at a farm in Ranger GA, so driving it away would be a matter of turning left and hitting I-75. It’s about 14 miles from the highway, nearest gas station is about 4 miles that has diesel that I’d trust.

Title is clear, no restrictions. We will be sad to see it go.

PM me if you want or need additional details, or would like to call to discuss. In terms of payment, we can do either PayPal or a Cashier's Check.

/atl_oldskool

atl_oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevrolet 427
Sent you a message on this one! Good looking bus!
Placeholder Bus Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placeholder Bus Name View Post
Sent you a message on this one! Good looking bus!
Just replied to you - let me know if you have further questions, and thanks for looking !

/atl_oldskool
Old 08-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_oldskool View Post
Just replied to you - let me know if you have further questions, and thanks for looking !

/atl_oldskool
I will also PM. Been looking for a bus near VA.
okinawascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawascuba View Post
I will also PM. Been looking for a bus near VA.
Just sent you a PM, thanks for looking.

All, consolidating questions posed here for the benefit of those looking at this bus:

- Does the bus have air brakes: YES, it also has an air ride seat. Air pressure works fine and airs up quickly/holds

- How tall is the inside: Guesstimating "73 - "74 as I'm 6 feet tall and can stand comfortably ("72)

- Does the bus have rust: Bus was owned/operated prior to my purchasing in Lime County, AL. No rust through, slight rust where prior bus driver looks like they rubbed a tree, but you'd really have to look at it to where they did it. You could probably tap the area out and would then apply a treatment when you paint..... or you can leave it as is, since you really can't tell.

- Can you transport to me: Unfortunately, no. What's forcing the sale is our move to Texas. Between shuffling wife/kids/pets, house prep, and moving, I can't take any side detours. Bus is mechanically solid, and is located an easy drive from the farm where it is, to the highway (I-75, north of Atlanta, near Chattanooga). For those that like to google, you can look at Ranger, GA for coordinates. I can PM those that are interested directly, I prefer to not put the address into the public as it's a friend's farm.

Bus is still available, thank you all that have inquired thus far and shown interest. I posted the VIN in the original quote for full transparency about the unit, and am more than happy to answer any further questions.

Have a nice rest of the Sunday fam !

/atl_oldskool
Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Updated :

I went and spent a few hours with the bus, and made some video of it running, and showing the correct operation of the instrumentation. Here's a link for that:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...6_?usp=sharing

Apparently the pictures weren't shared public correctly, here's that updated link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rj?usp=sharing

I also fixed the buzzer issue, which was super annoying. Did some light driving to exercise the unit a bit and put the battery back on trickle charge from the solar unit.

Thank you all for your interest, bus is still available.

Have a nice day !
Old 08-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Hello Fam,

Updating that we're pressed for time, and as a result, are dropping the price to $4000. Due to our move in progress, we're looking to sell the bus as quickly as possible. Bus is solid, we've had a few folks come look, but no solid offers.

I'd still like to see a Skoolie Fam member take it, so am hopeful that a price drop will move it.

Let me know if any questions, battery is topped off and bus is ready to roll out with title today.

Thanks guys and gals !

/atl_oldskool
Old 08-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Navistar International 3300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66
How soon are you needing to sell? My partner and I are actively looking and $4k is right at the edge of our budget but I’m likely interested. Feel free to send a message and we’ll see if we can work something out.
encryptedritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptedritual View Post
How soon are you needing to sell? My partner and I are actively looking and $4k is right at the edge of our budget but I’m likely interested. Feel free to send a message and we’ll see if we can work something out.
You've got mail (PM) ...
Old 09-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

PM - Still available?
kliza23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Interested

Hi, have you sold Dora yet?
angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Interested in this for myself possibly, but if someone else beat me to it, I can help with transport if necessary.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, bluebird for sale