Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

2002 24' International DT466 for sale

As happens, started a conversion and circumstances have changed. Don't have the time or gumption at present. Ceiling, walls and seats removed. She needs someone who will put the drive back into the project. Good size. Great engine.
Attached Thumbnails
20210316_134151.jpg  

Pietnamaste369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Hi,
Any pictures? Where are you located? I'd love to know other info like ceiling height, transmission, mileage. Thanks.
Desmoines12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #3

Would love more info!
Mywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

Having trouble getting file size down on photos. �� Hydraulic brakes. Spring suspension. Runs and drives well. Bought it from New Jersey 4 1/2 years ago. 109,000 miles. Has some rust but mainly cosmetic. Wheel wells need some attention. I chose her for the 466 engine after having converted a 35' with a 444. I didn't want a shorty with a pickup truck engine. No more tortoiseing my way uphill. And the benefit and cost saving of a wet sleeve. $2500.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #5

Eastern shore of Maryland
Old 03-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

Here a a few pics hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20210315_094134(1).jpeg   Resized_20210315_094228.jpeg   Resized_20210315_094253.jpeg  
Old 03-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Powerful engine on a small bus! Not sure what transmission, but would an AT-545 be a concern on a small bus like this? Would it be able to go 70+ on highways and go down mountain passes without worrying about it overheating?
danamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #8

Smile

My 35' with a 444 did fine on highways up to 65. Didn't like running it any harder anyway. 70 is a speed limit and rough spots at higher speeds never did my innards or the bus's any good. It didn't pull up hills so no problem on the same transmission overheating in that situation. I wasn't looking for a hare but I didn't want a tortoise either.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM   #9

Hi. I am very much interested. If this is the one I have been waiting for, I would be driving it from pick up in MD to AZ.....in your opinion, should she make it with little to no mechanical or otherwise work necessary prior to the long haul?
Thanks!
rotin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #10

Just redid brake line on one side. Seems to be holding. Otherwise its always a gamble but depending on how handy you are most problems are easier to resolve in situ than anything that has to be towed in. I drove her from Philly to here just over 4 years ago and she has been moved around some. All service records are here. Not sure what else to say about it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywhy View Post
Would love more info!
So that would be a DT466E....so WHAT IS the transmission? Allison...but what.?
Did they run electronic engines through a mechanical trans? I know that some manufacturers ran mechanical engines through An ALTEC II....Not sure with International. They were early in the game with electronics in school buses.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
So that would be a DT466E....so WHAT IS the transmission? Allison...but what.?
Did they run electronic engines through a mechanical trans? I know that some manufacturers ran mechanical engines through An ALTEC II....Not sure with International. They were early in the game with electronics in school buses.

electronic engines with mechanical transmissions were definitely done. . thats what the electric mnodulator did was kickdown for mechanical trans on electronic engine..

year 2002 could be a lot of different transmissions..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
electronic engines with mechanical transmissions were definitely done. . thats what the electric modulator did was kickdown for mechanical trans on electronic engine..

year 2002 could be a lot of different transmissions..
Thanks Cadillac....that explains the thread I was reading where the guy had changed out the rear axle ratio:. In what he explained to be a mechanical drive train (but obviously wasn't) and was having problems with shift points. And having done rear gear ratios on virtually every Schoolie I ever owned as the first order of business I had never encountered any problems whatsoever. So I couldn't figure it out. Then the discussion went to this modulator and I was completely lost I have avoided intentionally all the years that have any electronics, ECM sensors etc....and international seems to have started like in 1995. Whereas Thomas and Bluebird seemed to run to 2000 with all mechanicals. Think I see the 12 valve up until 99 and then we start getting into electronic 24 valves Cummins. So thanks for setting me clear about this modulator..
Old 03-21-2021, 01:36 AM   #14

Chassis: Dinged up but servicable
Just throwing my hat in as far as interest. I sent a PM a few days ago.

Might be up in that area on an unrelated trip.

-Pete
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Thanks Cadillac....that explains the thread I was reading where the guy had changed out the rear axle ratio:. In what he explained to be a mechanical drive train (but obviously wasn't) and was having problems with shift points. And having done rear gear ratios on virtually every Schoolie I ever owned as the first order of business I had never encountered any problems whatsoever. So I couldn't figure it out. Then the discussion went to this modulator and I was completely lost I have avoided intentionally all the years that have any electronics, ECM sensors etc....and international seems to have started like in 1995. Whereas Thomas and Bluebird seemed to run to 2000 with all mechanicals. Think I see the 12 valve up until 99 and then we start getting into electronic 24 valves Cummins. So thanks for setting me clear about this modulator..

the allison electric modulators are a joke.. they took it from being a modulator to being a kickdown..

in my mechanical DTA360 with the cable modulator to the allison transmission, my shift points are very much a "rheostat".. meaning if i press a little harder on the pedal I get a little later shift.. floor it and the trans shifts at the max RPM..

it works great.. there is a cable connected from my foot pedal down to a unirt on the ide of the transmission which progressivel;y moves a piston in and out to modulate the transmission line pressure..

when navistar (and others did it to) went to throttle by wire, Navistar did it earlier. than the likes of cummins, CAT, GMC.. (1994 the T444E was released).. instead of finding a way to connect the cable to the Fly-by-wire pedal. the electrified it.. in doing so insdtead of using a servo they used a solenoid..

a solenoid is an on / off.. so you either get shifts at the Lowest point (ie foot completely off the pedal in a mechanical).. or oyur shifts are at the highest point (foot floored on a mechanical).. there is no in between..

the foot pedal on a navistar / CAT HEUI engine is nothing more than an RPM setpoint.. even in neutral if I push my pedal down halfway, my engine will only rev up to a certain point.. unlike your gasoline car that in neutral barely pressing the pedal revs it way up. yet when driving it would be light throttle.

Navistar electronic diesel will do whatever it can to reach that RPM.. it will pull hard to do it.. the computer generates an "engine load factor" which approximates how hard the engine is working.. if the engine is working "hard" then the ECM will call for the transmission to downshift or to remain in downshift mode.. once your vehicle speeds up and the RPM gets closer to the "setpoint" your foot givesd it, the load factor reduces and the ECM releases the modulator and the shiftpoint is lowered..

on paper it sounds great.. in practice it was rubbish.. a lot of uo-down-up-down. or your transmission never shifting unless you let off.. or it stayed in high gear too long.. etc

the electric modulators were prone to failing.. and then your trans operated in low-line-pressure mode even under heavy load.. and esp with the AT545 you usually ended up ruining the transmission when the modulator died..

now as for me and electronics?

I can say that im lucky to have the best of both worlds.. my fully mechanical bus with its mechanical transmission works great.. other than blowing up an AT545 (which everyone does).. the drivetrain has been fantastic.. it isnt fast but it works and driveability is good..

on the other hand my Electronic bus (T-444E) with an electronic transmission (allison 1000) works fantastic.. both parts being electronic allows for a fantastic experience.. the 6 speed double OD is nice for having plenty of power around town and yet able to get good MPG on the highway and have niceties like Cruise control, advanced gauges and ability to choose my gear without a cumbersome clutch..

its thaty middle place that sucks.. electronic transmission on a mechanical engine or a mechanical transmission on an electronic engine... (other than a stick..if you like shifting then the mechanical manual trans on an electronic engine is a good fit it works great).. my red bus was originally an AT545 with (a bad) electric modulator that wasted my trans.. so I upgraded
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietnamaste369 View Post
Here a a few pics hopefully.
What’s the total length of the bus 🚌 , bumper to bumper?
Elanimal28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Is the bus still available, I think that’s the exact model I was looking for.
I’m far away from you (Seattle) but “where there is a will, there is a way”.
Julischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Still available?

Is this bus still available?
EastonTheKidd is offline   Reply With Quote