Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2002 thomas saf t liner (ohio)

Here is a link to fb ad. With more pics.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7373660427295/

2002 thomas saf-t liner school bus. Title has been converted to motorhome already, but it doesnt have any of the necessary equipment to legally be a motor home.
Has a cat diesel approx 244000 miles approx 40 ft long. (Had 28 seats so 84 passanger) Have removed a couple of seats already but that's it. Has 3 brand new batteries. Bus runs and drives great. Not everything is perfect and it Does have some rust. But I for see no reason it couldn't drive where ever you felt like taking it. Can get more and better pictures if you are genuinely interested and driving a fair distance but it's been raining and I didnt feel like rolling around in the mud getting a bunch of pictures.

No I will not agree to a lower price via messenger. Come and look at it and make an offer you think is fair.

As far as trades, I MIGHT consider a trade for a 4wd extend cab half ton or bigger pickup truck. Other wise no trades considered
Attachment 40571Click image for larger version

Name:	20200105_180623.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	40572

donaldcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldcon View Post
... it does have some rust.
Uh oh, "some rust" is exactly what the eBay ad for my bus said. Check out what "some rust" means: https://imgur.com/a/yisoA9i

You probably won't get a sale here with a rust zone bus unless you post some pics of the underside and the wheel wells. Of course, if it's bad enough you definitely won't get a sale here.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
That's a realistic price for a rust belt bus. There's some people that just don't have the time/money to be traveling out to the west coast to bring back the good stuff.

I have issues with the folks that ask 5k plus for rust belt buses, those are the ones everyone should avoid.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
That's a realistic price for a rust belt bus. There's some people that just don't have the time/money to be traveling out to the west coast to bring back the good stuff.

I have issues with the folks that ask 5k plus for rust belt buses, those are the ones everyone should avoid.
........ I imagine you could talk the price down a bit if you're willing to deal with the rust.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I have all the pictures an interested party can ask for. Have no issues taking any requested photos. But I'm not putting 1500 photos on a forum from a phone using tapatalk.
It has some rust but nothing a person with rust repair knowledge couldnt handle. It could have more than I realize though but from my perspective it's not that bad. I originally Intended to cut it up into a car hualer with a small living quarters. So 90% of what is rusty would have gotten cut out anyhow.

It's being sold for what I think is a more than reasonable price. As another poster said I'm not asking 5k trying to swindle someone. I've not.found a single running and driving bus this big anywhere other than an auction site for for cheaper.

If you are genuinely interested please ask me for more photos I have plenty or some down and look at it in person.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Have you removed the factory flooring to inspect the metal floor, that's where the major rust will be hidden. While the price is reasonable for a rusty bus, how much would one pay for something they don't want?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Have you removed the factory flooring to inspect the metal floor, that's where the major rust will be hidden. While the price is reasonable for a rusty bus, how much would one pay for something they don't want?

that plywood gets so waterlogged with all the rain and crap we get here in ohio... Hard to believe there wouldnt be rust underneath it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

i will say if anyone is interested in it, I can give it a look for them in person.. i live in Columbus which is maybe 30-40 minutes from what the location states this bus is
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Btw I am in lancaster ohio. Forgot to include that in the o.p.

Contact me with a reply or pm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Based on the fact it still has the seats in it. I'd say it's safe to say I have not.

My post is honest and open. Price reflects a not perfect bus.

Not understanding the logic of commenting on an ad you have no interest in???
Old 01-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
i will say if anyone is interested in it, I can give it a look for them in person.. i live in Columbus which is maybe 30-40 minutes from what the location states this bus is
Please feel free to come take a look at it anytime
Old 01-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

If you are genuinely interested please ask me for more photos I have plenty or some down and look at it in person.
This is a public forum, and I am genuinely interested in warning new skoolie builders - who often don't know how bad and how hard to spot rust can be, like me when I bought my bus - away from buses that might cause them a lot more difficulty than they're anticipating.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Btw I am in lancaster ohio. Forgot to include that in the o.p.

Contact me with a reply or pm here.

Based on the fact it still has the seats in it. I'd say it's safe to say I have not.

My post is honest and open. Price reflects a not perfect bus.

Not understanding the logic of commenting on an ad you have no interest in???
Just keeping the members of our forum educated.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:06 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Its pretty cool that you've replied to my sale ad negatively more than anyone did to my intro post back in October. Says plenty about the forum here.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Its pretty cool that you've replied to my sale ad negatively more than anyone did to my intro post back in October. Says plenty about the forum here.

more than once a Naive new member has come to the forum with a bus in shambles where the seller said "minimal rust".. or "not much rust".. only to purchase the bus and find its more rust than metal...

thats why the request for multiple pictures of the under-carriage, the engine-bay, the driver area.. the step wells, the back door ledge with door open, the wheel wells inside and out...

its perfectly OK to sell a Rust-Bucket, but its not OK to sell a rust-bucket and "hide" the rust by not disclosing it when someone asks.. people on this forum tend to look out for each other so thus why the questions on the sale ...

ive lived in Ohio for pretty much my whole life.. alot of it in the C-bus.. ive seen what happens to school busses here.. Yes there are well-taken-care-of busses with minimal rust.. but generally people think of ohio as a rust-belt state.. if you have a pretty nice bus with minimal rust then pictures of said bus all over will reveal that the rust on it isnt bad and that it commands a decent price.. Honesty.. thats all..

no one knows whats under the plywood floor but the rest of the body is a good indication...

to me it looks pretty decent for an Ohio bus.. wheel-wells, step well, and back-door ledge are more telling...

-Christopher
Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

There are several more photos on Facebook Vathere are here because it's a pain in the butt to upload photo from my phone onto a message forum. That's why fb link is included. Even a non Facebook user can click the link and view the photos.

This bus has visible rust on the under carriage and in the battery Box that is why the ad says it has some rest I don't believe it to be a lot of rust but it's more than minimal rust. It is not a rust free bus but I do not believe that it is rusted out beyond repair and that is why I mentioned it having rest so as not to hide anything.

This bus is for sale because I found another bus that has already been cut into a crawler hualer. Which is what my intentions for this was. I would personally rather by a bus that has most of the work already done to it than to start from scratch. But if nobody buys this bus before the already converted one that I found sells then I will remove the listing and go about my original plan. it is really no big deal to me if it sels or not. I listed it here to give somebody a shot at a decent and fairly cheap bus in Hope's I can buy the other one.

If you are looking for a rust free bus this is not the bus for you if you're looking for a cheaper bus that may need some rust work come take a look.

For what I was doing with this bus none of the rust I've found made a differance.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The rear looks pretty clean for an OH bus.

Usually the rear hinges are rusty on an OH bus.

Not the rustiest I've seen. I think the seller has represented it fairly well and priced it accordingly.

Good Luck to you Donald.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The rear looks pretty clean for an OH bus.

Usually the rear hinges are rusty on an OH bus.

Not the rustiest I've seen. I think the seller has represented it fairly well and priced it accordingly.

Good Luck to you Donald.
That undercarriage looks like mine! Personally I don't have Facebook, and won't use it even if I can get in to look at pictures. And I already own my bus and not looking to buy.

But like I said that looks like my undercarriage, and to be honest it's a pain in the ass, but not too bad. Right now I'm grinding the rust down applying Ospho using a squirt bottle, and a bit of primer from a spray can. But it's not hard work, it's just labor. And I don't need to get on the road and mived into it in 6 months. I got a great price on mine and a really good engine.

I figured I would chime in just in case somebody is overly scared of rust. If it hits all your other checkpoints, and you're able to put some elbow grease in, then go for it.

Good luck with your sale.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I keep an old windex type bottle for spraying ospho. Good stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks you two.

Jdsquared I hate facebook now but I liked it when it first replaced Myspace. I much prefer forums but with the days of desk top computers about gone I dont even own one now and tapatalk is the best option to load photos here. And it still sucks.

I use GB mostly for buying/selling and hosting my pictures
Old 01-12-2020, 04:25 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Sold, please delete