Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2003 Thomas Freightliner for sale in Maine

See pictures here: https://maine.craigslist.org/spo/d/belfast-2003-thomas-freightliner-full/7512715526.html

Note: if the post is up, I still have this. I will *not* respond to emails only asking if it's available

Also: No. You cannot get a transfer plate without a title in hand. You will either need to tow the bus, or drive it at your own risk as I did. You *can* get a title with the proper steps completed. Potentially, you pay the full asking price and I will bring it to you in Maine depending on location. You will still need to get the title yourself afterwards unless you are planning on keeping it in that spot forever.

I bought this 2003 Thomas Freightliner full sized school bus last fall with the intention to renovate it into a tiny house/RV for my family to live in but in my excitement didn't realize the title I saw with the paperwork was not in the name of the person I bought it from (nor had the person who sold it to her put it in his name after buying from the school department 🤦*♀️) leaving several extra steps to obtaining one. I want to be upfront about that as they were not and had I known, I wouldn't have purchased it myself as I intended to drive this cross country. I have looked into it and you *can* get a title here with a few steps so please research that to see if it's something you'd like to do yourself. I did start the process but have not finished it as I had a surprise pregnancy and our plans have subsequently changed. The bus is worth it, it's the extra hassles involved that while able to be resolved I just wish had been made clear before purchasing. It just makes things more difficult but with a few months of time there's no reason it wouldn't be just like any other that came with a title originally if you wanted to put in that time and effort. I can give you the paperwork the DMV gave me at the time of sale or as a download as they sent it to me through email if you'd like to look it over before coming to see the bus.

I simply cannot afford to continue paying to store it *and* work on it so our loss is your gain! It does run and drive well, albeit a bit slower than I would like on the highway for a cross country vehicle. It is an older, Maine used vehicle so there is some rust that will need to be fixed before you could build inside it but if you know how to weld unlike myself, you'd be able to fix it up pretty easily from what I am told. It could still make an amazing RV/tiny home if that's your dream too 🚌

You will need to change the color as you're not allowed to drive a yellow school bus (lest you be mistaken for a real one!) but no limit on color beyond 'not yellow'. Additionally, I put 2 brand new batteries in it this week so you're good to go there as well.

Alternatively, if you were to buy as a hunting lodge or storage space, you likely wouldn't even need to deal with any of that as it would just be sitting in one place. Don't quote me on that, check out your local laws/ordinances/regulations but seems to me if you're not driving it around, you may not need to have one.

All but the front row of seats as well as the floor covering have already been removed saving you that step and expense. As you can see, the interior will need to be sandblasted and a few holes around the wheel wells, doors, etc. repaired.

Looking just to get the money I have spent back, less storage fees, so that I can purchase a minivan for our family to drive as we will no longer fit in our Forester once the baby is born. Selling for 3,000 OBRO. (Or potentially willing to trade for a minivan with rear windows that roll down)

Currently stored on Route 1 in Belfast, and paid through October 1st. It will need to be moved by that date unless you make arrangements with the man I stored it with yourself. As it's not a storage facility, I don't know that's even a possibility but when we meet to look over the bus you could ask for his current contact info at the business it's stored.

If this post is up, it's still available! Please send email with when you would like to meet in Belfast to look it over yourself as I cannot answer most questions about it other than what I have posted. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
20211019_100410.jpg   20211021_075500.jpg   20211021_080233.jpg   20211021_075710.jpg   20211029_113505.jpg  

LadyHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Now taking any offer, including free without batteries

Hey all, not that anyone will see this or be interested but if you are please let me know! I need to get rid of this bus as we were supposed to move it by October 1st but for some reason (I'm sure a simple reason as it worked just fine before parking it in March) it no longer starts. I tried brand new batteries but it just tries but won't catch and turn on. I can't deal with it any longer as I am going on 35 weeks pregnant and just need this gone. Fixing it up is possible if you know how to weld, or use it as parts or storage if you want, just need it to go. Anyone have any interest?
Old 09-20-2022, 06:01 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhutch View Post
see pictures here: Https://maine.craigslist.org/spo/d/belfast-2003-thomas-freightliner-full/7512715526.html

sorry, craigslist ad is no longer posted but i can send additional pictures via email or something if you'd like to see more

note: If the post is up, i still have this. I will *not* respond to emails only asking if it's available

also: No. You cannot get a transfer plate without a title in hand. You will either need to tow the bus, or drive it at your own risk as i did. You *can* get a title with the proper steps completed. Potentially, you pay the full asking price and i will bring it to you in maine depending on location. You will still need to get the title yourself afterwards unless you are planning on keeping it in that spot forever.

The offer to bring it to you is no longer available as i cannot get it started

i bought this 2003 thomas freightliner full sized school bus last fall with the intention to renovate it into a tiny house/rv for my family to live in but in my excitement didn't realize the title i saw with the paperwork was not in the name of the person i bought it from (nor had the person who sold it to her put it in his name after buying from the school department 🤦*♀️) leaving several extra steps to obtaining one. I want to be upfront about that as they were not and had i known, i wouldn't have purchased it myself as i intended to drive this cross country. I have looked into it and you *can* get a title here with a few steps so please research that to see if it's something you'd like to do yourself. I did start the process but have not finished it as i had a surprise pregnancy and our plans have subsequently changed. The bus is worth it, it's the extra hassles involved that while able to be resolved i just wish had been made clear before purchasing. It just makes things more difficult but with a few months of time there's no reason it wouldn't be just like any other that came with a title originally if you wanted to put in that time and effort. I can give you the paperwork the dmv gave me at the time of sale or as a download as they sent it to me through email if you'd like to look it over before coming to see the bus.

I do still have the packet from dmv for anyone who would like to attempt to title it themselves upon purchase, it is not currently titled and hasn't been in anyone other than the original school department's name

i simply cannot afford to continue paying to store it *and* work on it so our loss is your gain! It does run and drive well, albeit a bit slower than i would like on the highway for a cross country vehicle. It is an older, maine used vehicle so there is some rust that will need to be fixed before you could build inside it but if you know how to weld unlike myself, you'd be able to fix it up pretty easily from what i am told. It could still make an amazing rv/tiny home if that's your dream too 🚌

it did run when i parked it in it's current spot but after leaving it over the summer, it no longer does. Whether that is just from sitting or if the people who stole my tools, and paint as well as pulled on the heater cover until it bent did something else to the bus is beyond my knowledge/capabilities to find out but if you know diesels or buses perhaps it would be a simple fix for you

you will need to change the color as you're not allowed to drive a yellow school bus (lest you be mistaken for a real one!) but no limit on color beyond 'not yellow'. Additionally, i put 2 brand new batteries in it this week so you're good to go there as well.

The brand new batteries will not be coming with the bus unless we are paid at least the $300 we spent for them. That said, i would be willing to meet you at the bus and hook them up for you to see that the engine does try to start. The bus is free otherwise to the first person who can take it out.

Alternatively, if you were to buy as a hunting lodge or storage space, you likely wouldn't even need to deal with any of that as it would just be sitting in one place. Don't quote me on that, check out your local laws/ordinances/regulations but seems to me if you're not driving it around, you may not need to have one.

Seriously no idea legally on that one so be sure to look up your plans ahead of time

all but the front row of seats as well as the floor covering have already been removed saving you that step and expense. As you can see, the interior will need to be sandblasted and a few holes around the wheel wells, doors, etc. Repaired.

There is a lot of rust as this was a maine driven vehicle but i was told that it is fixable and for a free bus might actually be worth doing

looking just to get the money i have spent back, less storage fees, so that i can purchase a minivan for our family to drive as we will no longer fit in our forester once the baby is born. Selling for 3,000 obro. (or potentially willing to trade for a minivan with rear windows that roll down)

had it been running, this was a decent deal but at this point i am done. I cannot put any additional money or energy into this project as the current project i am working on 🤰 is taking too much out of me. First person to actually be able to come and take it can have it.

Currently stored on route 1 in belfast, and paid through october 1st. It will need to be moved by that date unless you make arrangements with the man i stored it with yourself. As it's not a storage facility, i don't know that's even a possibility but when we meet to look over the bus you could ask for his current contact info at the business it's stored.

I don't believe they are going to want it to stay at the location so best would be if you have a place to take it and to have it towed there, spend the money on towing it to your location instead of on the bus

if this post is up, it's still available! Please send email with when you would like to meet in belfast to look it over yourself as i cannot answer most questions about it other than what i have posted. Thank you!

same, if post is up, i still have it and it needs to go asap. Thank you!
Added information in bold italics to try and clear up the ad
Old 09-20-2022, 09:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Free! (without batteries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHutch View Post
Added information in bold italics to try and clear up the ad

Now taking any offer, including free without batteries...

it did run when i parked it in it's current spot but after leaving it over the summer, it no longer does... ...perhaps it would be a simple fix for you.

....brand new batteries (available for the) $300 we spent for them. That said, i would be willing to meet you at the bus and hook them up for you to see that the engine does try to start. The bus is free otherwise to the first person who can take it out.

Rust...

it is fixable and for a free bus might actually be worth doing.

a decent deal (effin' awesome) but at this point i am done. I cannot put any additional money or energy into this project as the current project i am working on (baby) is taking too much out of me. First person to actually be able to come and take it can have it. (Located in Belfast, ME)

spend the money on towing it to your location instead of on the bus.

Additional Photos & Details
VIN: 4UZAAXCS73CL74899
FS65 - 6.4L L6 DIESEL
baby 'bump'... Congrats
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:11 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much for shortening and clarifying my post for me! I really hope someone out there can get some use out of this unlike ourselves!
Old 09-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Bus is sold. Thanks again for the help!