Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

35' MCI motor coach partially converted

1978 MCI 5C, DD6v71, Allison automatic transmission. Runs excellent, just tuned. Ready to drive anywhere.

Can get full details at https://rsymonds53.wixsite.com/mci-5c

Asking $7500.

New brakes, fluids. Power steering, ready for conversion.

Tolland, CT.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  

rsymonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsymonds View Post
1978 MCI 5C, DD6v71, Allison automatic transmission. Runs excellent, just tuned. Ready to drive anywhere.

Can get full details at https://rsymonds53.wixsite.com/mci-5c

Asking $7500.

New brakes, fluids. Power steering, ready for conversion.

Tolland, CT.

I'd have to say that's one Damn Fine, and very, very, straight looking MC5C.

Pretty typical of the occasional Unicorns that pop up out of various Gov't agencies. They can sometimes turn up with insanely low mileages and very little apparent wear and tear. Most often the agencies are required to maintain them to manufacturers specs and money is no object so any repairs and regular service intervals are maintained and they end up being preserved as if in amber. This most definitely has that look and feel about it. As long as the prolonged ocean exposure in FL hasn't done a number in it's slow insidious ways to the underlying aluminum structures that could be an extremely good vehicle to base a conversion on.

The 6V-71 in this is most likely a naturally aspirated and non-turbo'd version. For that year vintage that was the most common set up. It should be possible to easily improve the performance if a new owner wants to by various upgrades to the existing injectors and timing tricks, or you could simply look around for an already turbo'd 6V-71 and drop it in. Mind the extra heat load and the radiators will need to be improved to handle the load. The Allision will be adding it's own heat to the system, unless it's been plumbed with it's own cooling radiator. All in all it will most likely be a very nice performing coach as is and won't really need to be tinkered with, unless of course the new owner just can't resist. Good Luck to all involved in this find. Keep us informed and get yourself to the BCM site for real expert inputs from other MC5 owners and other Coach owners. They know their stuff regarding coaches.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
As an MC-7 owner...I freely admit that the MC-5 is my favorite of the MCI line. And that one's a beaut! This would make a great build platform for someone who has the interest in an electronic-free bus and the willingness to learn some 2-stroke maintenance. Much of the work on these can be done by the right owner.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

low mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
I'd have to say that's one Damn Fine, and very, very, straight looking MC5C.

Pretty typical of the occasional Unicorns that pop up out of various Gov't agencies. They can sometimes turn up with insanely low mileages and very little apparent wear and tear. Most often the agencies are required to maintain them to manufacturers specs and money is no object so any repairs and regular service intervals are maintained and they end up being preserved as if in amber. This most definitely has that look and feel about it. As long as the prolonged ocean exposure in FL hasn't done a number in it's slow insidious ways to the underlying aluminum structures that could be an extremely good vehicle to base a conversion on.

The 6V-71 in this is most likely a naturally aspirated and non-turbo'd version. For that year vintage that was the most common set up. It should be possible to easily improve the performance if a new owner wants to by various upgrades to the existing injectors and timing tricks, or you could simply look around for an already turbo'd 6V-71 and drop it in. Mind the extra heat load and the radiators will need to be improved to handle the load. The Allision will be adding it's own heat to the system, unless it's been plumbed with it's own cooling radiator. All in all it will most likely be a very nice performing coach as is and won't really need to be tinkered with, unless of course the new owner just can't resist. Good Luck to all involved in this find. Keep us informed and get yourself to the BCM site for real expert inputs from other MC5 owners and other Coach owners. They know their stuff regarding coaches.
IIRC the mileage is a little over 40K. Most of the wear and tear is from age.
rsymonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
The way to go if it came time to repower
Would not be to drop in a 6V71 Turbo.
But would be to Drop in a 6V92TA.

Exact footprint. Many in fact claim that the 6V92 is a "bored" version of the 6V71....which of course it is not

But the right bolt in would be the 92 at 300 horse to stay within the accepted HP TQ limitations of the Allison MT.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #6

Talking

Hi. I have responded via email, per your link. Thank you!
rotin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #7

I sent you an email as well. As a physicist, I do appreciate the history behind it being used at NASA.
tmoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Several posts have been removed from this thread. Folks please read the classifieds rules before posting in this area. General commentary is NOT appropriate on a sale thread.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/p...ieds-9297.html