Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3800 FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
40' 1999 3800, DT466E, MT643, Transmission Retarder, High Ceiling

Hello,

Due to a change in job situation, I will not be able to complete my skoolie project; which has been admittedly stalled for quite some time. Sadly, I must sell her. She lives near Albuquerque, NM currently.

The good:

-DT466E ~200k miles (will update with exact number) runs

-Allison MT643 transmission
-Driveline Retarder
-High Ceiling Model ~6'6"
-work already started (seats, heating, and flooring removed, some side -panels removed)
-new fuel regulator
-new fuel pump
-new o-rings
-comes with stainless steel sink, garbage disposal, microwave (if wanted)
-air brakes
-air ride
-current Vermont RV registration

The bad:
-engine has an issue I have not been able to resolve despite the new parts referenced above (current guess is bad MAP sensor) where it starts to stutter under certain load conditions.
-rust damage above rear tires and under emergency hatches, rust damage not bad otherwise.

-leaks in emergency hatches (needs resealing)

I have to drive to the storage facility to take pictures, and will update the post later this weekend.

I have $13K in this bus currently, just trying to get as much back as I can, make an offer!

She runs great except up long steep hills. I have been told by two diesel mechanics that they think the engine is fundamentally sound; I just have to figure out the stuttering issue. She did make it from CO to NM over La Veta pass even with the stuttering issue. I can provide a video of the issue to interested parties. Will consider all reasonable offers.

knandermueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Here are some photos! Also have a video of her starting up if you're interested.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xK?usp=sharing
Old 10-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Looks like a sweety, have someone experienced check it out for you, you could overlook something.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Did I post in the wrong forum?

I'm not looking to buy this, I am looking to sell it.

Can someone point me to the right place to post this if I am in the wrong spot?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
You're in the right place. The suggestion was so you could sell it without the issue so it would sell better. Engine issues will drastically bring the price down. $13k is a high ask for a bus with engine issues.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You're in the right place. The suggestion was so you could sell it without the issue so it would sell better. Engine issues will drastically bring the price down. $13k is a high ask for a bus with engine issues.

**THIS** knowing you cant buy it, hop in the seat and drive it hundreds or more miles home is a big Minus for many people.. it means either having to try and fix it with minimal tools and resources (being on the road away from home).. or they have to get spendy with a diesel shop (away from home)..

the going rate for Landoll transport services is higher than ever right now.. (in june of 2020 you could practically get it for near nothing.. but now its the truck driver can ask whatever he wants and get it)..

a good running bus with a solid drivetrain like yours can bring good money but it needs to be turnkey.. hop in the seat and drive with no known issues at the time it leaves base
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
A very fair point. I was more stating what I have in it than asking for the $13K. At this point, I don't have the luxury of time to try and find a better diesel mechanic than the 3 I've already had look at it.

Since I have seen inside the engine when it was torn down, the cylinders are clean, and it doesn't have compression issues, it fires right up, and drives super great under all but one condition, I am certain there is nothing significantly wrong with the engine; I just haven't found the guy yet that can point to the exact broken bit.

I am leaving town in a month to go on the road for a year, so if this doesn't sell for SOMETHING before then, it is being driven to the scrap yard, which feels like a travesty.

This is a rare beast with all the components and features it has, it took me a year to find it, and I overpaid for it then because it ticked all the boxes. The driveline retarder alone is worth thousands and works FANTASTICALLY.

I have a video (which I believe I posted on here some time back) of the behavior of the engine when it freaks out. I'll try and dig it up.

I am convinced this is a steal at the right price for someone that can just fix that tricky bit; but she's off to the scrap yard if not, so make me ANY kind of offer and just part her out. FWIW, I do believe it would be worth every penny of that $13K if I could figure out the stupid sensor or whatever that is nagging the engine.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I should state if anyone knows of a talented diesel mechanic in the Albuquerque area, I would be willing to give it one last go; but I'm overwhelmed with other projects getting ready to get on the road, which is why I haven't been hunting myself.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I will note, that I did buy this and drive it 600 miles over a major pass (La Veta) WITH the engine issue; which I did after being advised it wasn't going to hurt the engine by a mechanic in CO.

I discovered the issue about 50 miles AFTER I bought it in Monument, CO. from a used bus dealership.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
Bus Geek

its not that the engine will be hurt.. very few driveability issues will hurt the pre 2004 466E.. its the premium price and having an engine issue.. the price isnt bad for a build like you have going.. if it were in fully fit mechanical condition...

my opinion nothing more
Old 10-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I'm failing to be clear, which I suppose is a problem I have sometimes.

let me restate.... $13K is NOT the price for this bus, I was simply stating I have $13K in it, and it has all the new bits I mentioned.

I just want to get something out of all the work and pain, and make sure it doesn't just get crushed.

I encourage someone to make an offer.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Alright, it’s come to that. I plan on taking this to salvage next week. If I get a thousand I’ll be lucky. Last chance for someone to benefit from my misfortune.

I reiterate, this bus RUNS, this bus CLIMBS (not well); and this bus has one of the best powertrains for the era.

It may take a small amount of money to get the engine perfect, but its used; you’re gambling on any used 22 year old bus (just like I did); at least I’m being honest.

This is easy a $10-15k bus once the engine is perfect, and hell you can buy a entirely new engine for less than half that.

This has hard to find features (high roof, retarder, MT643) that will make your final project more comfortable, more safe, and more valuable.

I’ll take offers that beat salvage, because it kills me to salvage this thing after the work and money I put in it.

Don’t let this opportunity slip by. I mean we all expect to have to work on our buses right?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Put it in a consignment auction.
Auto auction
Heavy equipment auction
Must be a few there nearby.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
Bus Geek

run servicemaxx trip report on the engine.. it will probably tell you whats wrong with it.. a shudder on hard pulls is often the HPOP inability to make enough high pressure oil.. it can also be the TCC on the transmission (those are most always a valve body pressure adjustment as the TCC disc wears)..

I dont live anywhere close to NM otherwise id come look at it..
Old 12-11-2021, 11:18 PM   #15

If you still have it what would you let it go for? I’d have to limp it back to Florida potentially but I might be willing to take a chance if it wasn’t gonna kill my wallet you know
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3800, dt466e, international, mt643, retarder