Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
4x4 Zebra Bus!

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/4216015748.html

Just came across this, pretty neat!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Re: 4x4 Zebra Bus!

That is neat. At $36k somebody has be huffing too much duster. Where do people come up with some of these numbers?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

scary and foldable spring mounts (unless braced behind and I doubt it) 36k don't think so...unless you pay everybody to build it for you
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Sure, the 4x4 and mechanical rebuild is awesome, and the paint is cool, assuming the business name is a removable sticker. But for that price, I don't know man... they didn't even re-do the interior! What, is this bus for kiddie safaris?!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

$36,000 I CAN BUY A ALL MOST NEW ONE,,,THAT BOY BEEN SMOKEING SOMETHING.....OR BEEN IN DADDYS CORN LIQUIOR
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Holy crap, I didn't even notice the price! That's insane!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

ELECTRIC ROOF AC ??????

So what is going to be powering this electric ac? I read no mention of a generator?

Cool looking outside but for 36k for a short bus that has no conversion inside? Umm I think not.

Good luck on that one.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobus
That is neat. At $36k somebody has be huffing too much duster. Where do people come up with some of these numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
scary and foldable spring mounts (unless braced behind and I doubt it) 36k don't think so...unless you pay everybody to build it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
$36,000 I CAN BUY A ALL MOST NEW ONE,,,THAT BOY BEEN SMOKEING SOMETHING.....OR BEEN IN DADDYS CORN LIQUIOR
If this bus was a MDT truck ( same chassis ), he would have no problem getting $25 000. Oil field here buys all the local 4x4 buses up for far more than that price. Also tires and axles like that are far from cheap. Many tires that size are over $1000 each. Set of axles are $5 000 to $12 000. 4x4 is not as simple as just adding a front axle. It has to be a matching set. Transfer case to make it 4x4 is another $1000. Also remember this. We live in a time where a flimsy pick up truck cost over $40 000. This bus is 5 times the truck any pick up is.

This is not the first time I have seen this happen. Guys come on. Let's start thinking before we start spewing this nonsense. Not everything in life is free or worthless. Some things have value and equity.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
If this bus was a MDT truck ( same chassis ), he would have no problem getting $25 000. Oil field here buys all the local 4x4 buses up for far more than that price. Also tires and axles like that are far from cheap. Many tires that size are over $1000 each. Set of axles are $5 000 to $12 000. 4x4 is not as simple as just adding a front axle. It has to be a matching set. Transfer case to make it 4x4 is another $1000. Also remember this. We live in a time where a flimsy pick up truck cost over $40 000. This bus is 5 times the truck any pick up is.

This is not the first time I have seen this happen. Guys come on. Let's start thinking before we start spewing this nonsense. Not everything in life is free or worthless. Some things have value and equity.

Nat
Here is your $5000-$12000 set of axles, and your $1000 transfer case, asking $1100:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4233827372.html

I've seen those parts sell cheaper, but that's what a quick craigslist search turned up. You know the bus would be worth about $2000 the way it came.

Leaf spring suspension isn't tough. The transfer cases in the deuces are divorced, so they're not tough to make work.

Go ahead and give they guy $36k for it, sell it to the oil field and make a fortune.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Bus Geek

I gotta go to Asheville next week and will keep my eye out for it
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:

Here is your $5000-$12000 set of axles, and your $1000 transfer case, asking $1100:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4233827372.html

I've seen those parts sell cheaper, but that's what a quick craigslist search turned up. You know the bus would be worth about $2000 the way it came.

Leaf spring suspension isn't tough. The transfer cases in the deuces are divorced, so they're not tough to make work.

Go ahead and give they guy $36k for it, sell it to the oil field and make a fortune.
You fail. That is a 5 ton, not a 2.5 ton. Completely different price range. Again you don't know what your talking about.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Skoolie

5 tons being worth less than 2 1/2 tons isn't what I've seen.

5 tons would be a better choice for a bus because the deuce shafts aren't that strong, and the 5 ton bolt pattern matches civilian OTR trucks, allowing you to run a broad range of wheels and tires. The bus wouldn't care about the extra weight of the 5 tons.

Boyce is the most expensive place to buy rockwells, for people that don't know what salvage yards are, and you can get a pair of 2 1/2 tons for $1600.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!rockwel ... xles/c1so0

The five tons are $2500.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!rockwel ... axles/c55i

A salvage yard near where I live used to have pairs of deuce rockwells for $600 a pair. They ended up cutting up a bunch of trucks, kinda sad. I heard the other day they are selling complete trucks that are in excellent shape for $6k.

Here's a complete 2 1/2 ton truck in decent shape for $3k obo. That is ballpark for my area.

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/645856/
Old 12-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Motobus, While I don't plan to play with a deuce and a half anytime soon, I do appreciate your having taken the time to come up with the data you presented and I'd have to agree that the zebra bus is way overpriced--to say nothing of the fact that it has very limited appeal to most of us.

On another topic, I just noticed that your bus has a Superior body as does mine. Do you happen to know when Superior bodies ceased production? Thanks
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Skoolie

I researched this project for my own bus years ago and luckily had enough sense not to do it. I ended up puting rockwells under a suburban, slightly less retarded, but you do learn by doing. I don't know any history on Superior.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
5 tons being worth less than 2 1/2 tons isn't what I've seen.

5 tons would be a better choice for a bus because the deuce shafts aren't that strong, and the 5 ton bolt pattern matches civilian OTR trucks, allowing you to run a broad range of wheels and tires. The bus wouldn't care about the extra weight of the 5 tons.

Boyce is the most expensive place to buy rockwells, for people that don't know what salvage yards are, and you can get a pair of 2 1/2 tons for $1600.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!rockwel ... xles/c1so0

The five tons are $2500.

http://www.boyceequipment.com/#!rockwel ... axles/c55i

A salvage yard near where I live used to have pairs of deuce rockwells for $600 a pair. They ended up cutting up a bunch of trucks, kinda sad. I heard the other day they are selling complete trucks that are in excellent shape for $6k.

Here's a complete 2 1/2 ton truck in decent shape for $3k obo. That is ballpark for my area.

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/645856/
The bus was over priced $10 000. I would do the same. Leaves room for people to talk the price down.

I live and breath 4x4. The more you post here, the more you prove how little you know and understand on this topic.

Initial purchase price is the smallest part of the total cost of the 2.5 ton Rockwell axles. All the hours of grinding, cleaning, welding, and a bunch of after market internal components to bring it up to a state that can be used under a 4x4 truck. Hell, even the gearing has to be changed if you want to drive faster that 40 miles a hour. Gears for each axle cost $1100

No one wants 5 ton Rockwells due to the weight. A 5 ton axle weighs over 1000 pounds each. 2.5 tons are more than strong enough, and weigh the same as a one ton axle after removing the massive break drums and other excess steel brackets. At 500 pounds, the 2.5 ton is the best strength to weight ratio.

When I posted a set of axles costing over $10 000, I was serious. By the time you add breaks, steering, locking hubs, gears, lug pattern change so you don't need custom rims, ect they cost over $5000 each.

Gear sets
http://www.ouversonusa.com/gearsets.php

Axle shafts
http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_axles.php

Traction control
http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_tc.php

Breaks. Price is Per corner.
http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_super8_front.php

Locking hubs. Price is per corner.
http://www.ouversonusa.com/lockouts.php

Hubs to convert to a standard 8 lug bolt pattern so you don't need custom 6 lug rims. Price is per corner.
http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_16hub.php

That should help you get the picture.

Nat

Old 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
I researched this project for my own bus years ago and luckily had enough sense not to do it. I ended up puting rockwells under a suburban, slightly less retarded, but you do learn by doing. I don't know any history on Superior.

No, putting them under something with a light flimsy frame is retarded. Suburbans were only made in 3/4 tons. No real metal there to work with.

A bus would have had the weight to use the axles.

Nat

Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #17

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

BRRRR! It sure it cold in here.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Skoolie

I thought the argument here was the asking price of the bus, which you are defending. You used the $5-12k price for axles to support your position. There are no axle mods listed in the add and you said $5-12k. Why do you now come up with a list of aftermarket parts not listed in the add? Are going to prove the value of those Rockwells by the cost of parts that aren't there?

As far as Rockwells under my Suburban, you said yourself, without the stock brakes Rockwells can be brought down within the weight range of one tons. One tons are not doable in a Suburban? The frame is just going to fold up?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Why do you now come up with a list of aftermarket parts not listed in the add? Are going to prove the value of those Rockwells by the cost of parts that aren't there?
If they are under the bus they have been modified. It's that simple.

I'm done with this. I made my point. Now please relate to my signature. It's there just for people like you.

Nat

Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #20
Bus Geek

I will say this a D60/D70 or 14bolt are a lot lighter than any striped and mohawked 2-1/2 front, and if you use oversons axle shafts and parts it is plenty strong enough.
And just because they are heavy and geared at 6:72 doesn't mean they will fold a frame?
Have run many a rig and buggy with rocks and 44's never any issues aside from everything weighs so much
When we were doing a horse tour above Corolla we saw david andersons beach house and prked beside it was a dognose skoolie on rocks with terra tires pretty pimp wth its green paint