Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #1

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech
Chassis: E450
Engine: V10
5 - Shuttle Buses Wayne County Airport Auction

Here are 5 - Shuttle Buses being sold by Wayne County Airport Authority - Detroit Michigan Area -AUCTION this Saturday 11-6-21

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...403672237.html

The auction link to these are :

https://www.greaterdetroitaa.com/com.../all/2021/11/6

Lets build these out !

dragonspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonspeedster View Post
Here are 5 - Shuttle Buses being sold by Wayne County Airport Authority - Detroit Michigan Area -AUCTION this Saturday 11-6-21

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...403672237.html

The auction link to these are :

https://www.greaterdetroitaa.com/com.../all/2021/11/6

Lets build these out !

the couple of these i looked at are 6.4's or "Maxxforce 7".. bne very wary of these unless you know what you are doing with the 6.4, it quite possibly was the worst Medium duty engine ever made.. by 2013 some of the piston issues had been resolved, however oil coolers, EGR coolers, and turbos continued to be problematic points for these.. being airport shuttles they will likely have had a *LOT* of idling hours on them.. and in a cold weather state it will be anyone's best guess as to the health of these engines..

if you can get it cheap and want it as a run around / tool bus then its worth it.. or if you want a nice MD3000 series transmission for a swap , A/C parts etc and can get one cheap.. a weekend warrior Camper yes. but i would not pour a ton of effort into converting one for full time use..

if you are really good mechanically and not broke as a skunk then you can make a 6.4 run like a champ and have a long life.. and they are powerful engines.. .. but it takes effort and some $$(3-5k) to do it.. paying a shop to bulletproof one prob 6-8k. replacing one of these with a Jasper reman is in the 12-16k(at a shop), from IH, these engines are 25k last time i checked..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the couple of these i looked at are 6.4's or "Maxxforce 7".. bne very wary of these unless you know what you are doing with the 6.4, it quite possibly was the worst Medium duty engine ever made.. by 2013 some of the piston issues had been resolved, however oil coolers, EGR coolers, and turbos continued to be problematic points for these.. being airport shuttles they will likely have had a *LOT* of idling hours on them.. and in a cold weather state it will be anyone's best guess as to the health of these engines..

if you can get it cheap and want it as a run around / tool bus then its worth it.. or if you want a nice MD3000 series transmission for a swap , A/C parts etc and can get one cheap.. a weekend warrior Camper yes. but i would not pour a ton of effort into converting one for full time use..

if you are really good mechanically and not broke as a skunk then you can make a 6.4 run like a champ and have a long life.. and they are powerful engines.. .. but it takes effort and some $$(3-5k) to do it.. paying a shop to bulletproof one prob 6-8k. replacing one of these with a Jasper reman is in the 12-16k(at a shop), from IH, these engines are 25k last time i checked..
Something doesn't add up if you're right. I've also read about the Maxxforce 7 engines and they get nowhere near 500K miles, yet there are five 500K mile vehicles all of the same type in this auction. I'm not in the market for one of these, but if you're correct then at a minimum these vehicles might go to show folks that have this engine...miracles DO happen.
Snewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Or they have replaced the engines a few times.. I didn’t look at other vehicles other than a few of those shuttles ..
Old 11-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Or they have replaced the engines a few times.. I didn’t look at other vehicles other than a few of those shuttles ..
That's a bunch of money to spend on them, probably 2 replacements per shuttle. Must be from a municipal airport, because only the government would waste money like that.
Snewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewo View Post
That's a bunch of money to spend on them, probably 2 replacements per shuttle. Must be from a municipal airport, because only the government would waste money like that.

the airport authority here runs their shuttles like 2-3 years and gets new ones.. these in the auction are pretty solid bodies.. the ones they get here at our airport are cheapie starcraft on a gasoline E-series / Transit-series chassis.. im guessing the parking authority is a private company.. someone spent some money on those shuttles when they were bought new..