Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
5 window DT466 at auction

At auction. 5 window dt466 currently at auction for $600. Alot of engine for that bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2024-03-18-14-24-39-548.jpg  

Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
That's what you want...."able to leap tall mountains at a single bound"
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 09:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Just poster for others but if it was local. Heck yeah
Old 03-19-2024, 11:58 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f14/n...tml#post507214

Been crying over the distance for days!
Toad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:33 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Sold for $6900 I think (before 6% plus fees)... geez!
Old 03-21-2024, 07:41 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these days people want short busses.. when I got my 2 short busses they were Cheap.. I gave 1500 bucks for my air conditioned rust free 6 window red bus (it was yellow then) in 2016... now people offer me 8K plus out on the street for it without it even being for sale..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
For every hundred or so full sized buses there are maybe a couple shorties made.
The shorties will be the ones that hold the most value as they're the easiest to store and the rarest.
This mechanical DT 5 window is pretty dreamy. The price is about what I'd expect from an auction. Privately it would sell for more I'm sure.
People will pay that for a glorified van with a 6.0.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:24 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad68 View Post
Sold for $6900 I think (before 6% plus fees)... geez!
Eeesh.....no kidding short buses go for big money, we really don't have short bus in my area
Old 03-21-2024, 08:49 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The fact it's short and on an md chassis and not a cutaway van makes it rare/valuable. If you ever work on one vs the other, you really question how anyone could consider them equivalent to one another.

I'm looking for one. I know of one local but the group of guys that own it aren't willing to part with it yet. The one that went on auction a couple hours away, never sold off reserve and the point of contact at the district never got back with me.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
The fact it's short and on an md chassis and not a cutaway van makes it rare/valuable. If you ever work on one vs the other, you really question how anyone could consider them equivalent to one another.

I'm looking for one. I know of one local but the group of guys that own it aren't willing to part with it yet. The one that went on auction a couple hours away, never sold off reserve and the point of contact at the district never got back with me.

lately the problem in ohio has been all the cities with the most short busses have been crushing them in the name of EPA grants..

Columbus City had 20 bluebird IH 3800's mainly 6 window with a couple thomas 5 window... they were all mechanical DT360s except for a few that were DT466's, all had full size tires and air brakes.. they crushed all but 2 (which were saved by the district for utility vehicles...)

they were replaced with new IC shorty 6.7 emissions diesels.. all via EPA grant..
Old 03-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hooray for progress.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:06 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad68 View Post
Hooray for progress.

true recycling is lost in the name of Photogenic "recycling"..

"look at us kids we are putting our single use plastic water bottles in the recycle bin instead of the trash.."
"me the old guy - we drank out of water fountains, or carried our own 'thermos' bottles around - no plastic used... (OK maybe the stanley / YETI cup craze of the 2020's aims to curb this - one can hope whats old is new again.

"oh and also notice us kids we are recycling our milk jugs and pop bottles too"
"me the old guy - yeah we left our glass milk jugs out for the milk man to take and refill.. - returned our glass pop bottles where they were refilled locally too"....

" look at our brand new busses that dont pollute nearly as much as our old ones.. this is a win"
"reality - running those perfectly good busses another number of years may put a little more soot in the air.. but wow it sure saves in the amount of petroleum, metal, smelting, glass making, copper, plastic, silicone, and the like of building a new one.. not to mention even if the old crushed units are "recycled" the energy used to grind, sort, and re-use is much higher than the camera-crowd realizes...

and we can go on.. but media has brought us to the point where "show" is everything.. social media was designed to keep in contact with family / friends, no matter the distance.. but realliy its become a "look at me im better than you" platform...
Old 03-21-2024, 04:16 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
"me the old guy - yeah we left our glass milk jugs out for the milk man to take and refill.. - returned our glass pop bottles where they were refilled locally too"....
Amen, Christopher!! I'm a bit older than you so I definitely remember the milkman delivering our new glass bottles and taking the old ones in the morning every week while we were out waiting for the skoolie to pick us up. We had a place beside the fridge to keep pop bottles until we took them to the store for the deposit.

And I despise single use plastic water bottles...
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:19 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
Amen, Christopher!! I'm a bit older than you so I definitely remember the milkman delivering our new glass bottles and taking the old ones in the morning every week while we were out waiting for the skoolie to pick us up. We had a place beside the fridge to keep pop bottles until we took them to the store for the deposit.

And I despise single use plastic water bottles...
You just made me remember the days when my mom would take my younger brother and I to the candy store, us two little kids pulling our wagon full of pop bottles so we could cash them in and get more....
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:43 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
The convenience store near our house had a bin in the front corner to hold the returned empty bottles.

Right next to that was the TV tube tester. Remember those??? When the Zenith telly in the real wood cabinet would quit, dad would jerk all the vacuum tubes out and we would go test them and buy replacements for the dead ones.

Now when anything electronic goes boobs up, it gets tossed and replaced.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:59 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
It's literally hilarious when I bring my bus in for any kind of repair at any shop today. My classic bus looks ANCIENT up next to theirs. They have these shiny coaches, and then my classic style bus just looks so out of place in parking lots of other buses. I can see it in the eyes of the repair guys when I bring it in. They look at me like, "Why doesn't he just buy a new bus?"

Answer is always "I'm not buying a new bus, so stop it and fix this one, or I'm taking my business elsewhere".

A lot of these mechanics today don't even know how to work on them hardly I'm finding as they are used to their computer interfaces fixing it all electronically, and just replacing an expensive BCM or ECM etc. Modular plug and play.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:05 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
A lot of these mechanics today don't even know how to work on them hardly I'm finding as they are used to their computer interfaces fixing it all electronically, and just replacing an expensive BCM or ECM etc. Modular plug and play.

This.
So much.

It's like they don't even understand how an engine is supposed to work anymore, and they just know where the components are supposed to be mounted... I struggle to remember the last time I saw a mechanic that could listen and watch and smell to figure out what was wrong with something, and didn't immediately look for the OBD2 plug and whatever it's morphed into in the newest vehicles.

The only computer on my bus is for the tranny, and that just compares a couple of speed sensors to each other... There's nothing on my engine to tell you what is going on. And I can't even tell you the number of times I've either had someone try to tell me to buy something newer or try to steer a conversation that way--including talking about things like "well, you've got the room, you could just replace the drivetrain with something newer and then you'd have all the sensors so you'd know what's wrong with it..."

But I don't want a computer on my engine, I like my mechanical diesel, even if it lacks the balls to get me up a steep hill at 75 mph. Granted, I do most of the work on it myself, but I've tried to take it in once or twice to get diagnosed; now, I realize that it's simply better to figure it out myself and do the work myself, because most mechanics aren't worth what they're going to charge to do it for me. Although I am once again contemplating building out a 4WD system for my bus.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 06:59 AM   #18
Bus Geek

I like both the computerized engines and the mechanical..

of course growing up i learned to work on generally mechanical stuff.. our "scanners" were a timing light and a dwell meter. (for the 69 GTO)

Diesel-wise we had the scouts so i learned diesels pretty early on.. my first car was a Peugeot diesel.. all of themn had the familiar Bosch pumps.. essentially the same pump thats in my DTA360 .. at least the same in its operation...

the idea of having busses to me is i wanted busses that looked, felt, and drove like older busses.. I actually looked at a fairly new bus when I got my DEV. I looked at a shorty IC bus (a 2009 I think.. this was in 2015).. it drove great on the test drive till the Maxxforce 7 broke down before i made it back to the dealer....

thats when I went and got the 26 year oldall-mechanical carpenter.. even though I knew id have to do a lot of upgrades to give it the features like A/C and stereo i wanted..

that said, at a pretty young age i got into computers, coding, electronics, and electromechanics. by the mid 90s I was enjoying burning new EPROMS for GM TBI and TPI systems to soup up fuel injected cars..

so naturally im enjoying playing with my T444E and the electronic transmission control...

and of course the nostalgia of my 1978 Superior with its 392 gas V8, 4 barrel carb and mechanical distributor (i did go points-less)...

fun stuff!!!
Old 03-22-2024, 06:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Yeah, I feel like I got into this too late. There's still a lot I can learn but it's getting harder to find the knowledgeable people. There are a few of you here which I appreciate all the help given.

I also do not mind computerized vehicles as long as it's all open and workable. The world of encrypting all of the code so the owner cannot work on it makes people hate the computerized world in vehicles. So for me it's not the computer aspect of it all that turns me away. I work in computers for a living. But none of my talent matters when I'm locked out so the dealerships can make a buck.

I also can appreciate the dealerships making a buck but they need to be fair about it in their pricing which they absolutely are not. When you're charging people $400 for a flipped bit, you aren't being fair. It only takes you 5 mins to plug the device in, find the value and flip it. Just an example. It's for these reasons they shouldn't have such control. Right to repair litigation is exactly what needs to happen to these companies, and we'll need this control for newer buses/skoolies.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:34 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
I agree with the concept of "Right to Repair"--either you own it, and should do whatever you want to do to it, or you don't actually own it.

So many of the modern companies are trying to force the purchase agreements and EULAs into some kind of "Register (transfer actual paper ownership back to us, the manufacturer) and then you're just 'leasing' it for life" nonsense. Which is complete nonsense and I refuse to have anything to do with it. I've been running linux on all my computers, and do the same at the shop, with the exception of the CAD computer since no real CAD or CAM software will run on linux--they're even trying to keep you from being able to use software you've paid 5 figures for offline, even.

Stuff like that makes me want to hang someone responsible so the rest might wise up a bit... It is theft, plain and simple.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote