Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
'78 Crown 35ft. 0 mile in-frame 6-71 w/Jakes, Auto Trans.

1978 Crown Supercoach in excellent condition. Straight from school district service. 35ft 2-axle Auto Transmission. 6-71 Detroit Diesel engine, with Jacobs engine brake. Zero miles on a thorough in-frame overhaul done by me in Feb. All systems checked and ready to drive away to any destination in the country. What's the easiest way to have a Crown with no major hidden problems, do an engine re-build. Body is rust free and suspension system was re-worked by district before I got it. Good tires, steering, straight body, everything works, ready for conversion or whatever. Many years of future enjoyment with, I won't say "no", trouble, but better than anything currently available. If looking for a Crown, this is the one you want. All the big stuff has already been done. That's worth the price by itself, an engine job can easily cost $10k, and even then you won't know if it was done correctly. This was done by 40+yr. DD 2-stroke experts who work on Crowns. Can't get any better than that. Buy with confidence. $ Firm, due to invested engine and service work. It's a great runner, I've driven it, and I'd know. I will help you learn to drive it too, if you want and need it. I've been driving Crowns for 40+ years myself, and own a couple myself. This one is a definite keeper. Plus, I saved it from the scrap yard.
It's in Riverside CA. and ready to go. I have the clean title in hand. I was looking to keep it and put it back in service, but the timing isn't right for that right now. So one of you will be the lucky new owner of a well kept, by the district, and recently refurbished Crown, with decades of life left in it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6478s.jpg   DSCN6499s.jpg   DSCN6525s.jpg   DSCN6557s.jpg   DSCN6563s.jpg  

DSCN6564s.jpg   DSCN6565s.jpg   DSCN6571s.jpg  

Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
1978 Crown Supercoach in excellent condition. Straight from school district service. 35ft 2-axle Auto Transmission. 6-71 Detroit Diesel engine, with Jacobs engine brake. Zero miles on a thorough in-frame overhaul done by me in Feb. All systems checked and ready to drive away to any destination in the country. What's the easiest way to have a Crown with no major hidden problems, do an engine re-build. Body is rust free and suspension system was re-worked by district before I got it. Good tires, steering, straight body, everything works, ready for conversion or whatever. Many years of future enjoyment with, I won't say "no", trouble, but better than anything currently available. If looking for a Crown, this is the one you want. All the big stuff has already been done. That's worth the price by itself, an engine job can easily cost $10k, and even then you won't know if it was done correctly. This was done by 40+yr. DD 2-stroke experts who work on Crowns. Can't get any better than that. Buy with confidence. $ Firm, due to invested engine and service work. It's a great runner, I've driven it, and I'd know. I will help you learn to drive it too, if you want and need it. I've been driving Crowns for 40+ years myself, and own a couple myself. This one is a definite keeper. Plus, I saved it from the scrap yard.
It's in Riverside CA. and ready to go. I have the clean title in hand. I was looking to keep it and put it back in service, but the timing isn't right for that right now. So one of you will be the lucky new owner of a well kept, by the district, and recently refurbished Crown, with decades of life left in it.
You said $$ firm, but I don't see an asking price...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
What will it take to get me into this bus? I'm keenly interested.
Cuppa Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

'78 Crown price...Oops, Sorry, I can't find how to edit the first post

Sorry about that. I have to ask $12k for it because of the money already in it for the engine and service work. I'll clear a little but it's much more important to me to save the Crown. BTW Can anyone help me to edit the first post so I can add the price to the main text body??? I don't post new threads so I'm a dope with this. Thanks
Old 03-28-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Still saving my dollars and don't have that much yet. Best of luck. New here myself, I can't help you with editing, sorry.
Cuppa Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Bus Nut

If interested in it contact me direct

Anyone interested should contact me directly. PM on this site, but email is better. mikemcc2k@yahoo.com
Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
She's beautiful. I have a 76 Supercoach. I was wondering if you would be willing to tell me how much just the 6-71 rebuild cost you. My odometer says 480K and I have been wondering about a rebuild. smokes on starting but it clears up in 10 or 15 mins. Thank you for the info.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Lets just say you should have at least $8-10K ready before you start a serious engine job. Your case with that mileage, assuming it's all on that engine as well, is not bad at all. In commercial service, most don't make it to 500k without something serious going bad. All the different drivers, and rough handling takes its toll. It's impossible to estimate until the engine is looked over and opened up to see what needs attention. That's why you'll never get a real serious estimate from a reputable shop. As to the matter of shops, you should be very afraid, and I mean terrified of having just any 'ol body do ANYTHING on your engine. I'm aware of a company here who had the local major Detroit Diesel authorized dealer do a job that set them back over $15k, and they still weren't done, they had to tow it out and had another shop finish the job. It was a horror show. The other extreme is to have some dude who claims to fix anything give it a go. He's the guy who knows nothing about 2-strokes, and believe me when I say there aren't many left who truly do know about them. I've experienced this on the road when I delivered an MCI to SLC, and the folks I was meeting, ran their exchange MCI out of fuel, completely dry. They went through 3, count 'em three mechanics who all claimed to know how to re-prime that 8V-71, before they found a gray haired guy with the tools and knowledge from yesteryear to do the trick, in just a few minutes. I always say that if the mechanic doesn't have a head full of gray hair, don't let him anywhere near your engine. the best ones are the guys who were specialty shops in the day working on Detroits, and mechanics who worked for any of the many bus companies that ran them in their fleets. There was a day when literally every single bus, of any kind on the road or in town, was powered by a 6-71, or 8V-71. Those days are long gone, along with the mechanics and shops who knew them. I have one of those in my back pocket and they did the work on this Crown. They had other shops send them DD's and they've worked on Crowns since forever. I'd say that your's with the smoking and possible other symptoms, would be a good candidate to have someone qualified take a look at it. It might just catch something serious before it flies apart incurring real major expenses for you. If you ever get near Riverside CA. I can hook you up with the shop and have them take a crack at it. Parts costs, and shortage of qualified mechanics have driven the DD's into the realm of exotic engines, and I never thought I'd live to see that day, since they were always the most reasonable engine to work on, parts and labor cost were very low, that's one reason they were so popular. Today, with all the anti-pollution crap chasing them off the roads, you can't hardly find them anymore. It's a pure supply and demand thing where there aren't enough around to keep the shops busy, and they just don't sell the old volume of parts. Marine, and Military still use them, but not enough new installs to amount to much. Just servicing legacy engines.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I hear ya on the detroits.
Mine 8.2 ain't a two stoke but it is finding a mechanic wise a dinosaur.
Was gonna go to night school to do it myself but they won't even spend there time teaching what I needed here?
That's ok I have an old 87-year old Detroit mechanic that will rub my back if I rub his.
Best machinest without a shop I have ever met.
Taught me a lot over the years but most was hydraulics on equipment and heavy dump truck stuff where the 8.2 never fit but he has been into a few?
Old school mechanics are vey tough to find but the newer electronic mess is at least as big a gamble to find someone where you breakdown that can fix it properly.
If I had 12$ I would start over in a heart beat.
Much better than what I have chassis wise
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
Bus Nut

'78 Crown for sale $12k updated Craigslisting

I've updated the Craigslist post to show it better. I don't sell as a rule and I made some newbie Oopsies.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...544831185.html

Better to reach me via email.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
I've updated the Craigslist post to show it better. I don't sell as a rule and I made some newbie Oopsies.

Quite honestly, it seems to be a great bus at a good price.

When you originally forgot to add the price I simply figured around $11k, but didn't ask because I'm not in that market.

Seeing it at $12k didn't surprise me a bit and it has the added bonus of known work done and , presumably, many of the obvious unknowns, now known.

Good luck with the sale, and I hope it goes to someone who will cherish it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:

This site only gives you a short period of time after initial posting to edit the post. After that time the "edit" option goes away. Strange but true.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
This site only gives you a short period of time after initial posting to edit the post. After that time the "edit" option goes away. Strange but true.
It's a common feature of forums.

You get 30 minutes to correct typos. You do not get a license to alter posts to make other people look bad

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
It's a common feature of forums.

You get 30 minutes to correct typos. You do not get a license to alter posts to make other people look bad
I'm on many forums and this is the only one I've seen that takes away the option. Unlike many who err in their posts and know it and won't correct it, I like to edit my posts to correct and issue. Sometimes I don't catch it till it's too late here.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Crown_Guy, your bus looks amazing!!! We have family in California but driving that bus all the way from California to Missouri may be a mission. Furthest we would want to look for a bus would be within 12 hours reach. However, I would like to talk it over with the wife and maybe we could make the trip there and see it if its still available in May. at $12k and ready to be converted it sounds extremely tempting. That would leave us with about $8k budget for conversion. I am guessing this bus would be titled as a bus right now and need to be insured as a van/bus? NO CDL required? from what I know I don't need CDL if used for personal. What I find a little hard would be getting temp plates to drive from CA to MO ...I guess would need to insure it and get temp plates from CA or MO?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Getting it to MO.

I have the signed off, clean title in my hand. It's shown as an Automobile with a Bus body style. You need not bother with Kalifornia DMV at all. As long as you carry with you the Title and a Bill of Sale, you can talk your way out of anyone who might bother to stop, or ask you anything. I've heard that hardly anyone ever has any trouble, since yellow school buses tend to be pretty invisible to authorities as a rule. I'd suggest not even bothering with an RV or Motorhome registration, unless forced by the State, which of course I know nothing about, other than CA. All you really care about is getting it registered, and legal to drive, with plates and all. If you can avoid entanglements, like RV or Motorhome descriptions, why the hell not. I hear they even cost more as an RV sometimes. Here in CA I only had to do the title transfer, and kept it as the automobile, bus body. Easy peasy and dirt cheap. Boy was I a happy camper. What they don't need to know, can't possibly hurt me. As long as it's not in commercial service they really don't care, I suspect most other States are much the same way.

In order to get it home, all you need do is get temporary trip permits (about $20) good for 10 days or so, from the States you pass through. That's if you want to do it strictly legal..... I know for a fact that lots of folks might get the first state of departure, and after that probably a little forgetful, shall we say. No need to stop at State Ports of Entries, unless of course you enjoy being given the third degree by bored LE's looking for a customer/victim. Just keep on trucking(busing?). Like I said, you're non-commercial and way underweight for them to be concerned. Don't even consider yourself a "Bus" even when they have signs telling all buses to stop. That's not you. To do it by the book, you might consider contacting the States along your route, and it looks like I-40 the whole way works best for you, AZ, NM, TX, OK. Carry the blank trip permits with you for each State, and fill it out with dates and such when you get to them. Avoid POE's like the plague. They are only interested in collecting fees and writing tickets, They're regulatory Nazis, you've been warned.

I can hook you up with an insurance agency who has a good Carrier, that I'm using, with an annual cost around $130 a year for a bus that old. It's based on you removing the seats and being unable to carry passengers. I don't think it's a problem for the delivery trip, just as long as your intentions are to take them out. Maybe you already have insurance, that won't mind adding your rather Large Automobile, Bus body style. But if so, you're one of the lucky few.

As a private non-commercial vehicle, there is no need for a CDL. You can drive it legally as a private vehicle. Just get in it and go. I would suggest a little time with me so I can educate you on the proper way to do a daily check out and pre-trip inspection, as well as basic information on how to feed and care for you new Crown. I will also show you how to safely drive it and make sure you can handle it with confidence before you take it on the road.

By the way, a previous post of yours mentioned mountains and being really safe. I'm not sure you appreciated the fact this Crown already has Jake brakes installed. This is an engine braking system that gives added vehicle retardation for going down mountain grades, with-out using the air brakes. This is the ultimate mountain safety feature, and found on precious few Crowns, or any vehicle for that matter. It's not very common at all to find one with a Jake already installed, and when I do, I like to think I should keep it. Which of course was my first hope for this one. You're going to have a Crown, with a 1 out of 100, expensive option that would cost many thousands of dollars to add today. Check out what a set of Jacobs engine brakes costs, and be sure they are the ones made for the 80 degree laid over pancake 6-71's, they're even harder to find. Then add about $1500 for installation labor and such. This is already in place and expertly adjusted to run at peak efficiency, done at the time of the engine rebuild. Check out the pic of the head, and you'll see the bulky Jake units with the hose connections. That's what they look like installed. The Jakes alone are worth a whole bunch, and I promise you, that any other Crown you might find will NOT have Jake brakes installed.

I'm not sure I understand your reluctance in going so far to pick it up. It should be a one way trip from CA to MO of around 3-days 2-nights, 2k miles, at 55-60 mph, which is all this one will do. You'll really appreciate the time on the road and learn to drive it with full confidence by the time you get it home. That's not a very long trip, and you can crash in the bus, if you take out some seats to make room, and you'll always have Truck stops and Motels to clean up in. You'll have time to work on it before you leave if you want, since it's safely parked in the shop yard that did the engine work. Ontario Airport is only about 30 minutes away to fly into.

If you really need help in getting it home, I could be persuaded to help you with that, as a delivery driver, and you get me back home. I don't have to have my arm twisted very hard to ever take a Crown on the road, ever. I really think you should consider being along for the trip, you'll learn a lot and gain invaluable experience. If you want help, we could drive a tag team and minimize stops to get home in half the time.

I could be persuaded to even take a partial payment for it if you're really serious enough. Do me a big favor and contact me direct, so we can discuss this. There's more I can relate, but not on a public forum please. My email is in a previous posting on this thread, so you can email me with your contact and phone #, and my # is in the craigslit listing that I just updated a few minutes ago. I'll do all I can to get you into it, and I'm sure you won't regret it. I'm real sure you won't find another one in this kind of condition, an automatic, with Jakes etc., for anything like this price. All I ask is that you be serious and sincere.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
I have the signed off, clean title in my hand. It's shown as an Automobile with a Bus body style. You need not bother with Kalifornia DMV at all. As long as you carry with you the Title and a Bill of Sale, you can talk your way out of anyone who might bother to stop, or ask you anything. I've heard that hardly anyone ever has any trouble, since yellow school buses tend to be pretty invisible to authorities as a rule. I'd suggest not even bothering with an RV or Motorhome registration, unless forced by the State, which of course I know nothing about, other than CA. All you really care about is getting it registered, and legal to drive, with plates and all. If you can avoid entanglements, like RV or Motorhome descriptions, why the hell not. I hear they even cost more as an RV sometimes. Here in CA I only had to do the title transfer, and kept it as the automobile, bus body. Easy peasy and dirt cheap. Boy was I a happy camper. What they don't need to know, can't possibly hurt me. As long as it's not in commercial service they really don't care, I suspect most other States are much the same way.

In order to get it home, all you need do is get temporary trip permits (about $20) good for 10 days or so, from the States you pass through. That's if you want to do it strictly legal..... I know for a fact that lots of folks might get the first state of departure, and after that probably a little forgetful, shall we say. No need to stop at State Ports of Entries, unless of course you enjoy being given the third degree by bored LE's looking for a customer/victim. Just keep on trucking(busing?). Like I said, you're non-commercial and way underweight for them to be concerned. Don't even consider yourself a "Bus" even when they have signs telling all buses to stop. That's not you. To do it by the book, you might consider contacting the States along your route, and it looks like I-40 the whole way works best for you, AZ, NM, TX, OK. Carry the blank trip permits with you for each State, and fill it out with dates and such when you get to them. Avoid POE's like the plague. They are only interested in collecting fees and writing tickets, They're regulatory Nazis, you've been warned.

I can hook you up with an insurance agency who has a good Carrier, that I'm using, with an annual cost around $130 a year for a bus that old. It's based on you removing the seats and being unable to carry passengers. I don't think it's a problem for the delivery trip, just as long as your intentions are to take them out. Maybe you already have insurance, that won't mind adding your rather Large Automobile, Bus body style. But if so, you're one of the lucky few.

As a private non-commercial vehicle, there is no need for a CDL. You can drive it legally as a private vehicle. Just get in it and go. I would suggest a little time with me so I can educate you on the proper way to do a daily check out and pre-trip inspection, as well as basic information on how to feed and care for you new Crown. I will also show you how to safely drive it and make sure you can handle it with confidence before you take it on the road.

By the way, a previous post of yours mentioned mountains and being really safe. I'm not sure you appreciated the fact this Crown already has Jake brakes installed. This is an engine braking system that gives added vehicle retardation for going down mountain grades, with-out using the air brakes. This is the ultimate mountain safety feature, and found on precious few Crowns, or any vehicle for that matter. It's not very common at all to find one with a Jake already installed, and when I do, I like to think I should keep it. Which of course was my first hope for this one. You're going to have a Crown, with a 1 out of 100, expensive option that would cost many thousands of dollars to add today. Check out what a set of Jacobs engine brakes costs, and be sure they are the ones made for the 80 degree laid over pancake 6-71's, they're even harder to find. Then add about $1500 for installation labor and such. This is already in place and expertly adjusted to run at peak efficiency, done at the time of the engine rebuild. Check out the pic of the head, and you'll see the bulky Jake units with the hose connections. That's what they look like installed. The Jakes alone are worth a whole bunch, and I promise you, that any other Crown you might find will NOT have Jake brakes installed.

I'm not sure I understand your reluctance in going so far to pick it up. It should be a one way trip from CA to MO of around 3-days 2-nights, 2k miles, at 55-60 mph, which is all this one will do. You'll really appreciate the time on the road and learn to drive it with full confidence by the time you get it home. That's not a very long trip, and you can crash in the bus, if you take out some seats to make room, and you'll always have Truck stops and Motels to clean up in. You'll have time to work on it before you leave if you want, since it's safely parked in the shop yard that did the engine work. Ontario Airport is only about 30 minutes away to fly into.

If you really need help in getting it home, I could be persuaded to help you with that, as a delivery driver, and you get me back home. I don't have to have my arm twisted very hard to ever take a Crown on the road, ever. I really think you should consider being along for the trip, you'll learn a lot and gain invaluable experience. If you want help, we could drive a tag team and minimize stops to get home in half the time.

I could be persuaded to even take a partial payment for it if you're really serious enough. Do me a big favor and contact me direct, so we can discuss this. There's more I can relate, but not on a public forum please. My email is in a previous posting on this thread, so you can email me with your contact and phone #, and my # is in the craigslit listing that I just updated a few minutes ago. I'll do all I can to get you into it, and I'm sure you won't regret it. I'm real sure you won't find another one in this kind of condition, an automatic, with Jakes etc., for anything like this price. All I ask is that you be serious and sincere.
You're making this bus so tempting. I really like that it's an automatic and break system. I have emailed you. I am speaking with the wife about the possibility of going to see it asap.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
+1 on the Jake brake.

I had Jake's on my Eagle and they were a great driver/safety aid when driving mountain passes.

It this bus had been offered at this price 18 months ago there would be a Crown parked in my driveway not a Bluebird.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
Skoolie

Crown_Guy I have emailed you and sent a PM as well, if you could get back to me we are very interested in this crown!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #20

Unsure if I missed price or is it 10k? Thx
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote