Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
'96 international 3/4 Craigslist San Diego

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/6090245456.html

SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
that's a nice looking bus. It's to bad they're asking that much for it.

How come the Siskiyou mountains are named? It looks like the same coastal mountains I live in near the northern border of Oregon.

I've heard there are lots of old mining locations in your area.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
Not a bad looking bus with the high headroom option.

It doesn't say which engine or what kind of brakes.

Vintage says T444(E), DT360, or DT466, any of which would be okay in a bus that size.

Since it is CA spe'c I would guess it has air brakes.

For the price, it isn't a bad looking bus. I would rather pay less but the asking price is not a bad retail price.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Skoolie

I'm not sure from where the siskiyou mountains are named.probly from native americans in some way.i believe it's part of the Klamath mountain range but gets more water due to there elevation and proximity to the coast.t here is a ton of old mining history here forsure! I can see sailors diggins from my bus and just over the hill is the ghost town of Waldo..where the first mining district in Oregon originated.historic copper mine up on the hill and a huge walking dredge somewhere around here too,though I have never seen it.

As for the bus...the price is a lot more then I would want to pay too, but is fairly realistic from what I can tell.i payed close to that for my bus and it had twice the miles on it.not saying I got the best deal.if you want a solid 3/4 bus like this though, there aren't a whole lot of them out there.when I bought mine in Lancaster CA. There was a growing list of folks that wanter to buy the bus.i just happened to call first.jumped in the truck with my dad and drove 800 miles to get there. The real problem that I see is if the bus is registered as a people mover.it might be a nightmare trying to get it legal to drive home.the one I bought had air brakes but fortunately had already been titled as a motorhome...thus no endorsements needed to drive it home. Your correct in that international was cranking out great diesel options for this year.i would happily drive any of those engines.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonEagle View Post
. The real problem that I see is if the bus is registered as a people mover.it might be a nightmare trying to get it legal to drive home.the one I bought had air brakes but fortunately had already been titled as a motorhome...thus no endorsements needed to drive it home.
Opinions vary, and apparently so do laws from state to state, but very few people have trouble driving the buses home with air brakes and no endorsements.
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Generally speaking private use vehicles don't need air endorsements, unless you're headed to Canada, but each of us has to get the real information from our own state to make sure.

I thought I need an air endorsement in my own state also at first. Not necessary for private use.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Generally speaking private use vehicles don't need air endorsements, unless you're headed to Canada, but each of us has to get the real information from our own state to make sure.

I thought I need an air endorsement in my own state also at first. Not necessary for private use.
Robin, can you tell me what it means
AIR ENDORSEMENT
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I'll give it a shot.

Apparently some states have an air brake endorsement that they can put on your license.

My state, and many other, don't have the endorsement. I'd have to get a class B license in order to have an air brake endorsement.

The deal with Canada is that they require a driver with an air brake endorsement on the license to be able to enter or exit Canada's borders.

It's a confusing issue because each US state seems to have a different type of licensing an air brake endorsement.

Clear as mud right? You don't need an air endorsement to operate your bus for your own purposes in the US. If you're planning a trip to Canada you'll need the endorsement. I haven't heard of any air brake endorsement requirement for Mexico.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Is the canada air brake requirement something you can confirm or is it just hearsay? Seems like they would be turning a lot of people away at the border.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Apparently it's a fact. Some people have been simply turned away, while in one case they were let into Canada but had to get a driver with air endorsement to cross the border while exiting Canada. There was someone there to drive their bus past the border, but it could create a real problem while traveling.
Some of the Canadians have indicated that different provinces may or may not require the air brake endorsement to pass the border.
Personally I'll get the endorsement before I attempt going through Canada.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Apparently it's a fact. Some people have been simply turned away, while in one case they were let into Canada but had to get a driver with air endorsement to cross the border while exiting Canada. There was someone there to drive their bus past the border, but it could create a real problem while traveling.
Some of the Canadians have indicated that different provinces may or may not require the air brake endorsement to pass the border.
Personally I'll get the endorsement before I attempt going through Canada.
Or we could all line up and form ourselves a convoy

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Yeah, a buss gang in convoy. Should we all get matching leather jackets? We could all stop bathing and stuff like the biker gangs. Spreading bus terror wherever we go.

At bus speeds I think we're more like the elderly speeding along on their powered wheelchairs.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 65
"Fits 42 adults comfortably"
coolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Bus Geek

A bus convoy would sure make an impression when we stopped for lunch.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Several years ago a customer asked me how hard it would be for him to purchase a bus in WA state and drive it to AK without a CDL.

I looked into if for him.

It took a lot of phone calls but I ended up talking to a weighmaster at a Port of Entry in British Columbia.

Due in large part to some spectacular accidents involving large RV's in BC and AB the provincial governments decided to strictly enforce the air brake endorsement requirement.

If you cross over into BC and AB (I have no idea how persnickety the provincial governments are further east) if you have a vehicle equipped with air brakes you are REQUIRED to stop at the Port of Entry. If you do not have the proper credentials your vehicle is red flagged and can not be moved until a driver with the proper credentials arrives to drive your vehicle for you.

As the weighmaster was explaining all of this to me he said he was looking out into his parking lot at three big moho's with red flags on them. They are extremely serious about the air brake endorsement.

So in answer to your question, yes it is the truth and not some sort of urban legend.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
The deal with Canada is that they require a driver with an air brake endorsement on the license to be able to enter or exit Canada's borders.

Is that something new?

I drove 5 or 6 Provinces in a bus with air brakes and had no idea they had a requirement until after I left the country. I have crossed US to Canada (Ontario) 3 times in an air brake equipped bus and was never asked.

I was under the impression that regs were by province not national?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Bus Geek

I don't have any references, but I've read that due to the number of accidents in Canada from buses and motorhomes they have begun to enforce a requirement for air brake endorsement. I don't know when they started doing this either. It's been confirmed in several threads.

I've driven through to Prince Rupert to catch the ferry to Ketchikan, but that was a while ago. Back then you had to have $300 cash and no guns.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
way back when in the 80s i helped a friend's father (worked for bluebird) to deliver new and pick up old busses... they had a trade in deal.. there were 3 of us in brand new Busses.. they were some of the first with tinted windows.. it was just about dusk.. we all took our CB's so we could talk to each other, the decision was made to hit a freeway exit ahead and gas up our busses and our bodies...

the Mickey D's there had a sign that said 'Buses welcome', we all pulled in one right after another, and went right back to the bus lot and parked..

we walked in.. and the kitchen was SLAMMIN!!! food was literally flying... an employeed could be heard, "come on guys get up here get your order in.. THREE BUSSES!! just pulled in"... my buddy said... "Yes we did... we have 3 busses .. but no one is riding them.. the yare brand new...".. oh yes things got hectic... and the manager gave us all the free food we wanted... and asked if we wanted extra for the road...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #19
Bus Geek

That's hilarious. Mickey D's manager jumped the gun.

That's got to be terrible when three bus loads of kids pull up.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
That's hilarious. Mickey D's manager jumped the gun.

That's got to be terrible when three bus loads of kids pull up.
it was on a route where schools and churches did often run field trips...

we hads fun in those Convoys of Busses... at least when we were i nthe new ones.. in the old ones it seemed someone woul;d break down at least 1 out of 3 trips..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote