Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Air Conditioning Components Cheap or swap?

We bought an 84 pass bus from the Gilbert School district in AZ. It came with After market A/c. A big evaporator unit in the rear facing forward, and two ceiling mount units midship and in the front. I got tired of banging my head and pulled the two smaller units. I am going to pull the big unit out of the rear as well. The rest of the system is not in my way and will stay unless someone is interested in the whole setup. Just thought someone might like the evaporators for a heat exchanger project or something of that genre. Lots and lots of heavy A/c hose. Two great big condenser units with electric fans mounted under the bus (u-PULL?)

I'm not really to interested in pulling the compressor. My aux alternator is attached to the mount and im using it as my primary right now.

Thoughts? Offers? We're located in deming New Mexico.

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
might want to re-think that decision unless you plan on a big enough battery bank and charging system to run A/C while on the road.
unless your happy with my method for summer time.
oldish texas boy?
280 is 2 windows down 80 mph
480 is 4 windows
my bus is 10-49? 10 windows down at 49mph.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Bus Nut

We already live in the bus full time. We are comfortable with the decision.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
We already live in the bus full time. We are comfortable with the decision.
Good to hear that you are comfortable without road a/c. Quite a few folks pull the road a/c and regret it. I was one of them. On my first bus I pulled the road a/c and regretted it later.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
definitely not something i'd do.. Busses produce lots of engine or windshield heat.. summer sun isnt fun without good A/C.. heck I added it to my DEV bus and am working on ways to add it (with the vintage appearance) to my 1978 Superior
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Ruth and I have never required air conditioning on the road. We have lived in buses, box trucks, and motorhomes. Going down the road we stay pretty comfortable. We tend to stick to the drier climates in the summer time. With the choice between daily head bumps and the off chance we might go to Orlando in August, I'll go with head room every time.
Not to say we never use air conditioning. In the summer her in Luna County New Mexico, we run a little 6000 but window unit, facing front from the rear. Our 8 327watt solar panels power that, and keep the batteries topped for evening.
Of course we removed all but four of the windows and insulated with 2" foam board on the sides. The solar panels shade 50% of the roof that helps a lot. Being a pusher helps isolate us from engine heat going down the road as well. For us this isn't a hobby. It's our way of life so we make our choices based on what experience has taught us.
I spose if no one is interested in the evaporator I can save them for a solar heat exchanger project I have in my dream storage.